Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 22,558 times

Advertisements

Yes joe moving if there was a fire I wld have to kick down a dooor or iron rods..and Lynn patrice we do have a full bath but an electric stove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
vsa, so behind the door with the lock, is someone else's apartment?

It's got to be illegal. I am pretty sure you need 2 exits.

The question is now what?

Secondly, 275 dollars for a basement util bill???? not insulated?

is that electric heat?

I don't think it is YOUR fault. Do you have a lease? Things like the utilities should have been specified in there.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:50 AM

6 posts, read 22,558 times
yes no behind the door with the lock is the garage and no insulation the walls are really thin I can hear when my neighbors cell phone vibrates ..(no exaggeration) and yes the heat is electric.I do have a lease stating that i pay my own utilities and that wld be fine if i was able to put them in my name and receive some type of assistance paying them with them in his name I am not able to get any help with the bill let alone see the bill...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsacour View Post
I live in an really nice basement apartment
What is it, exactly, that you like about this apartment? From your posts I'm picturing an illegal deathtrap with bad acoustics.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:44 AM

652 posts, read 1,785,738 times
Default I think you need to rethink your situation.

Irish Eyes has it there. If this is so nice...
I'd get serious about finding a new place where you're safe and feel like you have a deal with the rentor that doesn't make you feel taken and is legal. If you like older or funky places, then you'll have to compromise, but I get the feeling from what you say that this guy is taking you for what he can get.
I also get the feeling you are new to NJ or the US, if that is so there are agencies usually Catholic Charities, that help in these matters. This is a common problem for new immigrants. Maybe you're just new to renting on your own, samer diff tho, people takeing advantage of ignorance. Don't believe the lie that this is the American way, it isn't, it's just how dishonest people try to excuse themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
What is it, exactly, that you like about this apartment? From your posts I'm picturing an illegal deathtrap with bad acoustics.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,338 times
i live in nj,a year ago i rented a attic apartment,i asked the landlord if it was a legal apartment,she told me it was.there were some repairs to be done but she only did a few,one was mold,she only painted the ceiling with something,but at the time i moved in i did'nt see the mold coming through the wall paper,and behind the toilet,every time i took a shower i would smell something terrible.every time i would call her and tell her about problems in the house,she would say she would take care of them,but never did.so after a year i moved out,my lease was for 2 years.i gave her 6 weeks notice,i used one month of my deposit for my last month there, the other half of the deposit she keeped on me.when i moved in i checked the side of the house to see if ther were three meters out side and there was.well i just found out her house is only a two family not a 3 family.she rented it out again,the man is being told to move.my question is being i moved because of the mold,and there was no heat,but she did give me heaters but they did not heat the apt,so my public service bill was so high it was unbelieveable.i would like to know if i could take her to court to get any money back

Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,338 times
i live in nj,a year ago i rented a attic apartment,i asked the landlord if it was a legal apartment,she told me it was.there were some repairs to be done but she only did a few,one was mold,she only painted the ceiling with something,but at the time i moved in i did'nt see the mold coming through the wall paper,and behind the toilet,every time i took a shower i would smell something terrible.every time i would call her and tell her about problems in the house,she would say she would take care of them,but never did.so after a year i moved out,my lease was for 2 years.i gave her 6 weeks notice,i used one month of my deposit for my last month there, the other half of the deposit she keeped on me.when i moved in i checked the side of the house to see if ther were three meters out side and there was.well i just found out her house is only a two family not a 3 family.she rented it out again,the man is being told to move.my question is being i moved because of the mold,and there was no heat,but she did give me heaters but they did not heat the apt,so my public service bill was so high it was unbelieveable.i would like to know if i could take her to court to get any money back

Old 05-06-2011, 10:01 PM

8 posts, read 29,709 times
[quote=vsacour;8155286]Good afternoon,my question today is how do i find out if my apartment is illegal ?I live in an really nice basement apartment but i cannot get any utilities in my name here I moved in the end of January and attempted to have my lights turned on and psg&g advised me that they have no records of my apartment.I then contacted the land lord and he was able to turn them on in his name but i wld be responsible for the bill however he has not turned over a bill to me thus far which is my first concern because he called me last month and told me the bill was 275.00 and that he'll mail it to me and i have not received it yet. He never picks the rent up ontime but sent an alt person this month which turned out to be some one from a realestate agency from what i knew this was privately owned something is truely fishy about this and i really need to get to the bottom of it please help...SURE YOUR LANDLADYS NAME ISNT NINA HOFF

Old 05-10-2011, 02:10 PM

8 posts, read 29,709 times
I lived in an illegal apt for 2 years and payed 1500.00 MONTH TO THIS CRAZY *****, OK I KNOW I KNOW I M NOT SUPPOSTED TO USE NAMES BUT IF YOU COME across NINA HOFF RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. MAY THE 9TH THE ZONING BOARD CAME AND INSPECTED THE HOUSE AND TOLD US TO LEAVE, WE CAN NO LONGER LIVE THERE, SHE WAS NICE ENOUGH TO PUT US UP IN A HOTEL FOR 2 DAYS AND THEN WE ARE **** OUR OF LUCK. THE STATE OF NJ GIVES YOU 500 FOR SECURITY AND YOU HAVE TO COME UP WITH THE REST, ISNT THAT CRAP. ON TOP OF THAT SHE ASSAULTED ME AND NOW HAS A CHARGE AGAINST HER FOR SIMPLE ASSAULT. WE REALLY NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT. THE RICH STAY RICH AND THE POOR LIVE UNDER BRIDGES. WHAT A SHAME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey