Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 08:07 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,742 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm I wonder where he will get the money to make up this deficit...

State revenue projections are now off by as much as $2 billion, a deficit that could trigger at least that much in new budget cuts or tax hikes.

The potential shortfall, which legislators suggest is another sign of the bad economy, comes as lawmakers review a budget proposal that cuts the property tax rebate program and other services and raises taxes on higher incomes, cigarettes, liquor and wine.

Corzine: N.J. revenue shortfall as high as $2B - NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 PM

119 posts, read 472,830 times
No surprise. Corzine is a nightmare.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,773,520 times
how many times can they add more tax to alcohol or cigarettes? enough is enough geez.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:48 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Maybe NJ should take the Federal govt's lead and just print up more money.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:52 AM

505 posts, read 1,763,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Maybe NJ should take the Federal govt's lead and just print up more money.
Unfortunately they dont own a printing press.

Has anyone tried to equate the budget shortfall with the higher taxes possibly pushing people out of the state? That might be an interesting analysis.

I think right now we need to CUT corporate taxes- right now a lot of corporations are getting to the breaking point with Jersey and moving to greener pastures to more business friendly states. Being close to NYC isn't enough, NJ has to bring something else to the table to promote business here. More business at lower taxes = more revenue than less businesses at higher taxes. Plus all of the secondary benefits (lower unemployment, etc)

I think the state really needs to reevaluate its strategy on corporations- being near NYC and Philly is quickly greying, and trying to compensate by raising taxes is a no go.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:10 AM

989 posts, read 1,878,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjh20 View Post
No surprise. Corzine is a nightmare.

Yes. Jon Corzine is a nightmare. You'll get no argument there from me. However, I don't for one minute believe that the opposition party is going to do anything much different or be any more more effective. I've seen it for years. The governor is one person, and fighting political bosses all over the state is a daunting task. Maybe people should try and change things from the bottom. They can start be voting out local government officials.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:41 AM

13 posts, read 31,499 times
Carla Katz is going to be on the Jersey Guys - 101.5 - Monday @ 6 PM - maybe she'll come out with something that will get him out of office

Old 05-01-2009, 06:58 AM

23,568 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Default paradox

We are the government. when the government, us, is short of cash how does it make sense to ask us for more money for us?

Where would it come from?

As there has been no revalation that our money has been conserved through discovery of waste, legal and illegal fraud and incompetence where do you think the 'new' money will go?

2B sounds like chump change in the scheme of things. I'm sure that budget cuts will be made to high profile areas that send a message to 'us' that we will be held hostage until Jon gets his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey