Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Let me be perfectly clear....we are NOT moving! lol We've got it way too good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Just thinking here- your post revolves mainly around the tax advantages of moving to NC from NJ- if that's the main or only point for your move (to reduce your tax burden), there are better states to do so. Texas and Nevada both come to mind, and there are others with far lower overall tax burdens as well. As you know, though, the decision to move from NJ to other areas if often driven by far more than just the desire to reduce tax burden.
I picked NC b/c my friend moved there so I'm most familiar with it, and it seems to be "the place" the past few years. I assume most people move there for the perceived financial benefits, the rest b/c of work.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
The problem with your equation is your not moving far enough south...... You still have winter in the Carolinas......maybe a little less harsh than New Jersey but winter none the less. You want real savings to make the move really worth it then you have to move much further south. While saving money on taxes, etc.......wouldn't it be nice to have nice weather all year round..........no more "wintery mixes" to face......just weather nice enough to be able to plan to do some activity outside every weekend !!! Might be wise to factor Northern Florida into that savings equation ???

Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
3K that's it??????? I mean if you expect the same schools, I plan on paying more almost anywhere else.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The one flaw in your math is in the "same mortgage" portion, IMO. For most people, who don't have a large amount of equity in their homes, if they were to come down here and buy a similarly sized home, their mortgage would be much lower due to the lower cost of the home. For example, lets assume you have a 2,500 sf home in Somerset or Hunterdon County that you bought within the past few years, that you can sell for what you paid, and get out with the DP that you put down (I know, that'd never happen in today's market, but let's say it did....lol). That house sells for maybe $450k, and if you were carrying a $400k mortgage, your monthly P&I was around $2,400.

Now, you come down here and buy a brand new 2,500 sf home in a suburb a similar distance from the city, and that costs $250k max. Assuming the same $50k dp, you've now got a $200k mortgage, which is $1,200/month, a savings of $1,200/month, or $14,400/year. Your current situation is unique because you have alot of equity in your home because you've been in it for some time, and you're also not factoring in the value of that cash you were pocketing in your original assumptions.

Wow- I wrote that and didn't turn it into an "NJ vs the south" post....lol
I know for some there's a larger benefit, but I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about me (because it IS all about ME).

I would never not have a mortgage, so even though theoretically I could buy a house outright with the equity from mine, I wouldn't do it. But let's say I do....my federal taxes would go up roughly $10K a year (because at that point, I'm not even sure I could itemize). But if I do carry a mortgage, I would pocket some money, but I'm not sure how to calculate that because that's what I'd be doing..pocketing it (not spending or whatever -maybe for retirement).

Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
The problem with your equation is your not moving far enough south...... You still have winter in the Carolinas......maybe a little less harsh than New Jersey but winter none the less. You want real savings to make the move really worth it then you have to move much further south. While saving money on taxes, etc.......wouldn't it be nice to have nice weather all year round..........no more "wintery mixes" to face......just weather nice enough to be able to plan to do some activity outside every weekend !!! Might be wise to factor Northern Florida into that savings equation ???
I like snow.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
3K that's it??????? I mean if you expect the same schools, I plan on paying more almost anywhere else.
Unless there's something I'm seriously missing....that's the rough calculation.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:45 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I know for some there's a larger benefit, but I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about me (because it IS all about ME).

I would never not have a mortgage, so even though theoretically I could buy a house outright with the equity from mine, I wouldn't do it. But let's say I do....my federal taxes would go up roughly $10K a year (because at that point, I'm not even sure I could itemize). But if I do carry a mortgage, I would pocket some money, but I'm not sure how to calculate that because that's what I'd be doing..pocketing it (not spending or whatever -maybe for retirement).
Sure....it's always all about you.....lol

Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
I picked NC b/c my friend moved there so I'm most familiar with it, and it seems to be "the place" the past few years. I assume most people move there for the perceived financial benefits, the rest b/c of work.

OK glad you aren't moving. Then I will just come right out and say the parts we visited were not worth living in to save $3k, to put it mildly.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Default It's not only the tax rates -- net vs. gross

Quote:
about tax advantages if I were to move to one of the "southern states du jour" - what would be the net/net? I took NC because that's the hot spot, I have a friend who recently moved down and it seems to dominate a lot of the forums. Granted, this was a very, very rough estimate..anything I may have missed please feel free to add (either way - I know you people won't let anything slide though ): *roughly* - I calculated we'd be saving about $3K a year than what we pay now.
That takes into account: higher state income tax in NC...

Whoa, not so fast! NC income tax may well be lower than NJ.

NC rates may be higher than NJ rates, but NC assesses tax on NET income (like the Federal). NJ assesses tax on gross income. Often, this results in the actual tax bill being higher in NJ.

For me, it's the difference between night and day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey