Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
No luckier than you.
Uh, excuse me. I can't use the "recent immigrant" excuse to feign ignorance on this issue. You are damn lucky and you benefit every day of your life from this country's history (good and bad). It was your parents responsibility to see that you understood that.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,634,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Look you can't know anyone's motivations. Especially in business. And yes it was done and is done when new groups come to America. All the time. Once they find success, they enter the mainstream but how did they get there? Should they also be called racist for using their own connections, people, and old country ties?
I guess you don't (or won't) see the difference between:

(a) immigrants who patronize businesses owned by others from their race because they're living in an immigrant community where essentially all nearby businesses are owned by fellow immigrants (e.g. Ironbound and the lation/Portuguese community), or because they need to seek out businessses that speak their native language or provide their ethnic ingredients, ethnic clothing, or special music etc.

and

(b) people refusing to patronize any business that is owned by someone with a different skin color

The difference is clear as day to me, despite your attempts to re-write the history of every other immigrant group in the country.

I'm surprised you mention snuggies ... are they black-owned?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Look you can't know anyone's motivations. Especially in business. And yes it was done and is done when new groups come to America. All the time. Once they find success, they enter the mainstream but how did they get there? Should they also be called racist for using their own connections, people, and old country ties?
what are you talking about? i know their motivations (to earn money) and the vast majority of them will sell stuff to anyone willing to buy their stuff regardless of the person's race.

you are fighting for racism, just to be clear.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Uh, excuse me. I can't use the "recent immigrant" excuse to feign ignorance on this issue. You are damn lucky and you benefit every day of your life from this country's history (good and bad). It was your parents responsibility to see that you understood that.
Excuse me -- I was born here. I'm not using any "excuse" and I don't need an excuse.

You're lucky to be here too, no matter how long ago your ancestors came here. You're very very very very very very very lucky to be here! Oh looky here, I used "very" more times than you do, thereby illustrating just how LUCKY YOU ARE TO BE HERE!

Everyone here (including blacks!) benefits from this country's history, including you, so pointing out that I "benefit from this country's history" is like pointing out that I breath air. What's your point?

Stop acting like you own this country and I need to thank you for being here, or that I need to subscribe to the racist policies that you appear to support.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 PM

In theory that sounds great. But in practice? I don't think so.
Many groups do this unofficially as I said. They just don't announce it. It is the American way. And no it is not just for survival. The new immigrant does not have it easy and yes people band together simply for survival but this goes so much farther than that in terms of successful entrepreneurship. Taking credit for mainstream success without acknowledging that?
That seems very dishonest to me.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Many groups do this unofficially as I said. They just don't announce it.
how do you know this?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:12 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Shocking... This thread has become a 14 page cesspool...

Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Excuse me -- I was born here. I'm not using any "excuse" and I don't need an excuse.

You're lucky to be here too, no matter how long ago your ancestors came here. You're very very very very very very very lucky to be here! Oh looky here, I used "very" more times than you do, thereby illustrating just how LUCKY YOU ARE TO BE HERE!

Everyone here (including blacks!) benefits from this country's history, including you, so pointing out that I "benefit from this country's history" is like pointing out that I breath air. What's your point?

Stop acting like you own this country and I need to thank you for being here, or that I need to subscribe to the racist policies that you appear to support.
It has nothing to do with thanking me.
You obviously have no business telling AAs about their history. No one has told you that you need to support this experiement. No place on this thread.

You did mention that you were not born in the sixties and that your parents were not here. Why mention that at all? You benefit anyway don't you? If so what does it matter where they were 40 years ago? I would never mention info like that in specific here because I am an American and it is not relevant when talking about OUR country's history pre 1970. Is that VERY VERY clear?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Shocking... This thread has become a 14 page cesspool...
i think its a quality thread.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:21 PM

First you post this ...

Quote:
Were you protesting segregation in the 60's? The real deal? Was your father or mother? Did they actually benefit from it?

Then you post this ...

Quote:
You did mention that you were not born in the sixties and that your parents were not here. Why mention that at all? ... I would never mention info like that in specific here because I am an American and it is not relevant when talking about OUR country's history pre 1970. Is that VERY VERY clear?
You can't even keep track of your own questions.

And I got news for you -- I am just as American as you are, buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: