Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:19 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripey View Post
Yep, there's two in my area. One in Randolph and one in Morris Plains (though I think that one is closing due to the giant Shop Rite down the road).

I miss Roy Rogers. I used to go to the one on Route 10 in Parsippany/Morris Plains with my grandpa when I was very young, before it became Wendy's. I also miss Chevy's which is across the road from that Wendy's. It burned down a few years ago.

There was this store in Morristown called Epstein's which I really miss, for nostalgic reasons. I went there with my mom every Friday and would buy Beanie Babies with my allowance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_eq View Post
I remember Epstein's too! I loved that store. I also loved shopping at the Bamburger's on the green at Christmas time.

Sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned Don's Restaurant in Livingston? They had an incredible bakery section. Getting a character cupcake from there was a huge deal.

Also, do any Carvel ice cream shops still exist? I know you can buy the regular ice cream cakes in grocery stores like Kroger, but I loved going to the actual shop. Their ice cream pops ("lollapaloozas" maybe?) and Fudgy the Whale cakes were amazing.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!
I remember Epstein's quite well. My mother worked there for awhile and really loved it -- said all the co-workers were very friendly and the owners would come and visit the stores and were extremely nice and seemed genuinely interested in the workers.

A couple of years ago I was in Morristown and happened to be inside where I guess the Morristown Parking Authority is and I noticed something beautiful and interesting and took these photos:

I also worked one Christmas at Bamberger's On the Green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 07:28 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,223 times
I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if it was mentioned, but I miss going to the Chester Flea Market in the summer. The land it was held on has been developed and is now stores. Never went to any of them, but they look pricey.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:04 AM

1,015 posts, read 786,892 times
Acme and Pathmark they closed down when Shoprite came to town.
IGA Grocery store- The store was really run down but they had some good deals on food i remember going there every week.
This Dollar store it had some of the most unique stuff in there.
Sonic
Pizza hut in Millville.
Shannon s- Local Sub shop they were the best.
Circuit City
Ames
Matt Blatt Suzuki

Stores in the Mall our mall sucks its tiny and one level but in the 90s it was the most exciting thing ever.
Value City
Bradlees
Kb Toys
The Arcade
This Dollar store
The Pet store

Old 01-03-2015, 06:17 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
There was a nice, BYOB hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant on Main Ave in Clifton called Villa Romangna. My wife and I walked past it one day in the late 90s soon after it opened & decided to give it a try. I think we were the only couple there so they spoiled us and the food was really good. On subsequent visits it got harder to get a table and it received good reviews. Several years later the owners decided to close up & move to South Carolina. A sad day on our restauranting lives.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:00 AM

696 posts, read 906,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i miss Sagebrush Cantina in Morris Plains, horsehill road. texas size beer mugs baby! got served when i was 18!
I loved the model train that went round overhead.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:17 AM

696 posts, read 906,855 times
Ernie's Deli - Rutherford, NJ
Best Potato Salad in the Universe.

The Bottom of the Barrel - Union City, NJ
Great local pub

The "White Bar" - Grand Street, Jersey City, NJ
SPP grads of a certain age know what I'm talkin' about!

EJ Korvette's - Route 4, Paramus, NJ
Got all my vinyl albums here

Caramba! - 9th Ave, NYC
I know, its not in NJ but this place introduced slushie Margaritas to the East Coast in the 80s.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:18 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Somerville inspection station, Perth Amboy inspection station along with doughboy statue on the nearby circle.

Double 0 rod and gun club deer contest at the Sunoco station on corner of Hall and State st.

The Staten Island Ferry

Round valley before the reservoir

Original Scortinos on NB avenue in Perth Amboy.

Most of the campus of the College of Agriculture and Environmental science sans todays' buildings.

Forked River House

NJ Hunting and Trapping License combo

Treptows

Wm Tell Archery in Fords

Rocky's Diner West milford

Serchio's West milford Hardware

Camp Cowa

Stewart's Rootbeer Edison, Rt1, Amboy Ave, rt 202 Branchburg locations

Julian's bait shop

Chowder Pot

The Sea Pigeon, Miss More in Pertth Amboy

Decoues lumber in south J

Puritan dairy Perth Amboy

Billy Vacs Loop in Keasbey

Keasbey Eagles

OLP school and convent on Wolf ave

Pabst blue Ribbon beer sign on the Parkway near Newark

Jennings boat yard at the end of crows mill rd in Keasbey

Keasbey clay banks

Rabbit hunting at Hadley Airport

Raritan Arsenal and red root creek

The igloo area and rows of tanks and army ducks

The Daisy May in forked River

Ice skating on Roosevelt Park lake..'the red ball is up!"

Old 01-17-2015, 02:17 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,043 times
I have been reading all of the posts of places that no longer exist, the sad thing is there are way more places in the future we will be saying goodbye to, hey do you remember Best Buy? there was one on Rt22. or something like that. lol.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanite View Post
there used to be a place in blue star shopping center for kids to eat and play games
with tokens kinda of like chucky cheese does anyone remember the name of it?
Hi... It used to be called FUN TIME.... I went there with my older brother as a kid in the early eighties.. Goes real deep with me!

Old 07-22-2016, 07:20 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Children's museum in Paramus. It was not the nicest children's museum I have been to with my son. It was kind of dark and over air conditioned during the summer. But it was just another place to go with a child in winter when you cant be outdoors for too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey