Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 21,280 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've recently moved to the Weehawken area. I'm looking for a black barbershop relatively close to me (Weehawken, Hoboken, Union City, West NY, Edgewater). Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 PM

13 posts, read 52,773 times
you'd be hard-pressed to find any black business in the North Hudson area, let alone a barbershop...you do realize we're mostly Hispanic here right? that being said, there are several good barbers in the area and even more bad ones, be a little more specific about what you're looking for, and i could steer you in the right direction

Old 06-02-2009, 05:32 AM

82 posts, read 250,139 times
Steezli,
Would there be any reason why a black barbershop would be any better or different then any others? Just curious...

Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyUtah View Post
you'd be hard-pressed to find any black business in the North Hudson area, let alone a barbershop...you do realize we're mostly Hispanic here right? that being said, there are several good barbers in the area and even more bad ones, be a little more specific about what you're looking for, and i could steer you in the right direction
Well...yea I sorta noticed that the area is heavily Hispanic and that there's not too many black businesses (let alone people) here; I'm not really looking for demographic information, just possibly some insider knowledge on where I could get a haircut. To be more specific, I googled and found this:

Styles & Barber Charts

It doesn't necessarily have to be black-owned and run, it could be Hispanic as long as their barbers have experience doing the above.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 AM

231 posts, read 587,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandmrossi View Post
Steezli,
Would there be any reason why a black barbershop would be any better or different then any others? Just curious...
Black hair is different from white.

steezli, you should have no problem finding something. Just take a drive around union city. The hispanic population noted above includes plenty of dominicans, many of whom have african heritage. At the very least, I know that Belky's Salon on highwood terrace in union city specializes in female black hair (caters to dominicans) and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandmrossi View Post
Steezli,
In a word: experience. If you've been cutting a certain texture of hair for a number of years, you're likely to make less mistakes on the hair, being that your steadiness of hand is affected somewhat by the texture of the hair in general (kinky, long, wavy, etc). The texture of your hair will affect how slow or fast the barber cuts, the size of the blade he uses, and other things. There's just different variables at play in an all black or mostly black barbershop, less use of scissors for example because nowadays black men wear their hair short. Have I had a haircut at a mostly white barbershop before? Sure. Did they know what kind of hair pomade, hairline, and style in general that I liked my hair? Not really, even though the guy did his best and I made a point to tip him because he tried. I'm not knocking any other establishment, it's just a simple preference that is generally backed up by life experience.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsquad View Post

steezli, you should have no problem finding something. Just take a drive around union city. The hispanic population noted above includes plenty of dominicans, many of whom have african heritage. At the very least, I know that Belky's Salon on highwood terrace in union city specializes in female black hair (caters to dominicans) and might be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsquad View Post

Yes, since many Latinos/Hispanics are black (Dominican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Panamanian, etc), the vast majority of Latino barbershops cut black male hair. My son, who lives in Mercer County, goes to a Dominican barbershop in Washington Heights in NYC. And Dominicanas are quickly becoming the preferred stylists for black American women throughout the US.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:47 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezli View Post
In a word: experience. If you've been cutting a certain texture of hair for a number of years, you're likely to make less mistakes on the hair, being that your steadiness of hand is affected somewhat by the texture of the hair in general (kinky, long, wavy, etc). The texture of your hair will affect how slow or fast the barber cuts, the size of the blade he uses, and other things. There's just different variables at play in an all black or mostly black barbershop, less use of scissors for example because nowadays black men wear their hair short. Have I had a haircut at a mostly white barbershop before? Sure. Did they know what kind of hair pomade, hairline, and style in general that I liked my hair? Not really, even though the guy did his best and I made a point to tip him because he tried. I'm not knocking any other establishment, it's just a simple preference that is generally backed up by life experience.
Barbering -and barbershops - are notoriously segregated in America. I could not go into a styling chain or your typical white male barbershop in NJ or any state and expect to get a cut, or even be made to feel comfortable when I walked into the facility.

But there are exceptions.

When I lived in Boston, I got my hair cut a few times by a Greek guy who said he hadn't seen hair like mine "since the Old Country."

Also, once when I was desperate for a cut, I went to an upscale salon run by an Italian mom and daughter. She (mom) did a great job, but the look on the face of the guy who was next as he walked in and saw me in the chair (he was a prominent former pro athlete) was priceless.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,018 times
Did you find any luck? I am also looking for a black barbershop in the area.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steezli View Post
Hi,

I've recently moved to the Weehawken area. I'm looking for a black barbershop relatively close to me (Weehawken, Hoboken, Union City, West NY, Edgewater). Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey