Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The congestion, the poor functionally obsolete and outdated roads, the corruption, the extreme high cost of living, the always rush rush rush the world is always one big hurry way of life.

Do I miss it?

Yup !

Would I go live in NJ ever again?

Nope.

Do I love to visit friends and family who were too stupid and stuborn to leave?

Every chance I get !
>D We're stupid and stubborn! Woot! *runs off to join the stupid club for living in NJ*

I believe every state has a pro and a con. I've been to many of them and they fit pretty much different people's preferences. There should not be such a thing as a "worst/horrible" state. The only daring places I could call a little risky would be severe tornado and hurricane prone areas. (Hence, their house prices have to be pretty cheap.)

Canada is litter free. U.S. is an equally big country as Canada. The difference is that the U.S. has more people than Canada. Try to fit 300 million people into Canada and we'll see how it goes. Right now, Canada has a population that is close to the country of Algeria so it's easier to maintain. When you have a population in the hundreds and beyond with new immigrants every year, hmmm.. You get a mis-mash of different thought processes and family values.

Just be thankful we're not in the bllions or we might be in a deplorable state of choas... =.=

Edit: Another hundreds example would be Japan. It's mostly a clean country, but you come across Mt. Fuji or see some of their water areas, it becomes clear that it's not exactly a 100 percent clean. Mm... I was trying to spot any litter in Rinku Town and spotted one piece of wrapper on a stairway of a pedestrian walkway.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:01 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
Everyone mentions high taxes. I assume they mean property taxes?

Property taxes are high in NJ because there is so little property to tax. We live in a small state.
I wonder if there is a way to compare what the property taxes would be in PA, NC, SC or FL if they were the same sq miles as NJ?
Moved from South Jersey to Florida...long story. Taxes in South Jersey were not as bad as North so I can only compare what I know. Yes, taxes are lower in Florida but get less bang for our buck. There are a majority of communities with zero lot lines. If you put your hand out a side window of your home & your neighbor does the same you can just about touch hands. Then you have a county impact fee of at least $10,000 per home to be paid over approx ten years in many communities. Now add in the higher cost of water, lawn maintenance 12 months of the year, outside insecticide spraying, painting you house every 4 years due to the elements, very high home owner insurance costs, not to mention lower salaries........ the list goes on & on. Figuring all that up it may be closer in cost then you think.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
I have never been to Somalia so I can't say.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:05 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
As one who left NJ for GA, I can speak from experience.

Yes, the taxes are very high, yes, there are some pretty anti-business policies in place, and yes, there are some polluted areas (though the whole state isn't a toxic waste dump as some would have you believe). The roads take a beating from the freeze thaw cycles, and need yearly repair, but I don't think you can really compare them to Somalia. There are some good qualities as well- nice beaches, some nice scenery, proximity to NYC, etc.

Most of the folks who have a great attachment to NJ do so because they were raised there and therefore have strong family ties. For that reason, they put up with the high cost of living. If, however, you don't have the family ties or the need to work in/near NYC, there's not much in NJ that you can't find someplace else at a much lower price, and that's why so many people are bailing out of the state.
How's the Portuguese festival in Atlanta?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:13 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
How's the Portuguese festival in Atlanta?
Don't know, nor do I care- I never went to the one in NJ, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. If a once-a-year Portuguese festival makes it worthwhile for you to live in NJ, have at it- it's not enough to keep me there. I'm sure there are cultural events here that don't occur in NJ- does that make GA the better place live?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:58 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Geez....speaking of sour grapes....

You make a half-brained decision to move to podunk NY, obviously without doing any research, and somehow that experience translates into anyone who doesn't live in NJ being a "NASCAR lovin' hillbilly". You really need to get out more.

well not quite , I travelled the whole state of NC, and besides the triangle area, I stand behind my statement.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Aren't you always complaining that you have Hillybilly Neighbors? I don't, 90% of my neighbors moved here from other states, including NJ. I actually bought this house from someone from NJ, whose job then transfered them to Florida. Also we have rules here, Homeowners Association.

Diane G
Listen I have one, however I still think there are way too many hillbillies in NC and TN then there are here. I am sorry if that hurts people's feeling but I went thru most of the state of NC and there are a ton of them. I cant tell you for a fact that TN has less than NJ I did not travel that whole state only the mountain parts, however I would bet that TN has a good amount and more than NJ. As far as GA where Bob lives I have no idea. I was speaking of NC.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:16 AM

I want to repeat this, I travelled most of the whole state of NC, from the beaches to The triangle, to W-Salem, to Charlotte, to Ashville, to Murphy NC and there are more Hillbillies in NC than NJ!! I stand behind that statement! This is why NC in MY OPINION is not better than NJ. As far as TN and GA I cant claim that for a fact. I have not travelled the whole state.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:19 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
well not quite , I travelled the whole state of NC, and besides the triangle area, I stand behind my statement.
Ahh....you "traveled" the state. Yes, taking a trip through an area really gives you a complete picture of what goes on there.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,280 times
Quote:
Ahh....you "traveled" the state. Yes, taking a trip through an area really gives you a complete picture of what goes on there.
Perhaps she was part of the traveling circus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey