Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times

Advertisements

I am willing to bet that NJ Bear still lives at home with parents or maybe is in their first rental apt.

Don't you all remember when the world around you was evil and any place was better? Takes a few years to (sometimes) realize how good you have it.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 AM

81 posts, read 226,756 times
^Nope, just spend enough time outside of NJ to realize much of what people always claim as great about NJ is just propping themselves up or convincing themselves that it's not as bad as everyone says... or knowing there is truth in the stereotypes but embracing them and therefore calling them "pros" instead of "cons". Some lov eit, some hate it. I just find it interesting that as soon as I said negative things about NJ, people tried to tell me I was wrong. Hey, if you love NJ, great, some do, some don't, it doesn't change the facts that I brought up, whether it's high COL or dense population or road conitions or the state's financial incomptency and corruption, the only variables are the personal importance and opinion one places on them.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Bear View Post
Oh giv eit a rest! YOU are sounding exactly like the type of person I've talked about here, always needing to get the last word and be right and prove you're better than something. Whatever...
No, I am simply saying you are wrong. Not that I am better.

Quote:
It's simple math. If the average for an area meets the criteria for classification as "urban" their is no mathematical refute to the fact that that area is largely urban, other than the possibility that the population is uniformly distributed across the entire area.
No, that is not simple math. You keep saying it, but I guarantee you remove the highest density town in that county and your average will drop below the magic number.

When you apply averages to too large a sampling, you get innacuacies which are usually explained by "standard deviations" on the bell curve. Individual municipalities will not fall within your definition just because you feel you need to define most of J as Urban because a few of its bigger towns skey the average.

Again, you are wrong.

Quote:
Even then, it fits the government definition of urban. Ok so sue me if I agree with the gov't definition based on population density, and not you're personal oponion that it's only urban if it's got a skyscraper. Do high-rises count? Or is there a 70-floor miniumum to qualify as "urban"?
Again, you are applying averages to areas that are not akin to the average and saying "well, if you are close enough to Newark, yuo HAVE to be urban, even if your town itslef isn't! Makes perfect sense!"

Quote:
I don't feel that ALL of Morris county is urban, but the majority of it is. Only in the shdow of NYC would someone try to describe Morristown of all places as "not urban".
It isn't. Even by the govrnments definition, most of Morris County is not urban.

Quote:
How you getthat impression is beyond me.
Because you keep saying it. You do not like the needed income to be here, and you resent the idea that you need to know things to be "learned".

Quote:
I just stated the obvious, that NJ is damned expensive comapred with most regions and that few people here know hwo to have fun without spending $. That is a reflectionon high COL and materialism, not my income. Could I choose to spend more money on the things NJ-ites generally like to spend their money on? Sure, I just choose not to, and pointed out that this culture is not universal and that much of what NJ brags about is simply irrelevant to other people in other places. If you love it, great! That doesn't mean everyone else so much as cares.
Um, no.

You are stereotyping again. I am sure rollerblading in the park is expensive, and that trip to Dairy Queen is SO outrageous it should be on Lifestyles. Yeah, all NJ people are like what you see on TV, all concerned to be like Sex in the City and have $500 shoes just like Carrie (actually, I just wonder how she can afford an apartment like that on her own, but anyway)

The fact that having a museum is irrelevant to someone in Idaho does not mean that having one is NOT a good thing.

Quote:
I'm a big fan of Belgians. Sorry to burst your bubble.
That was what was known as an "analogy". Where you take something and compare it to another to illustrate a point.

The "you" was a third person plural used to indicate a group of people, not an individual. So when "you" do not like something that others consider spcial, it is easier to insult it than to think that somehow yours is lower quality.

Quote:
If you'll recallI wasn't the one trying to convince anyone of my worldliness, just pointing out how so many people in NJ think they are so worldly and special and are always eager to point that out when they feel threatened by people from othe rplaces or when they need to boost their ego by sayinbg they/Nj are "better" than some other person/people/place.
One sentance? Anyway. So you are either saying:

1. NJ isn't worldly.
2. You are just as worldly as NJ, although you do not like anything that is not local.
3. Being "worldly" is unimportant, NJ is, and you aren't, but that does not matter because you said it does not matter.

You seem to like to insult things, so I would go with a combination of 2 and 3.

Quote:
For all the hype, there is a lot of insecurity about NJ and it's people and it shows in their defensiveness and put-downs of others.
What? You are getting defensive! You feel threatened because of your favorite areas being criticizd for not having contact with the rest of the world. You skip around denying it, but focus on criticizing the merit of being well rounded, accepting of others, and diversified.

Quote:
Heck almost this whole thread since my first post has been people getting defensive, putting down other places, or arguing semantics. That's not helping anyone from eleswhere to like what they see/hear about NJ.
When you USE semantics to nit pick a point (like averages) or misconstrue points made (like Belgian Beer) then semantics will be brought up.

Quote:
I never insulted cultural diversity or differnces. In fact if you read what I wrote it's quite the opposite, I was responding to OTHERS put-downs of other people and places!
The way they were putting it down was their lack of cultural diversity and variance. You then said that this does not matter.

I know that lack of divirsity IS a difference between areas in the US, but the diversity that is marked by a lack of something is rarely a boon.

I am not saying that there are not good things about these areas, but denying the fact that you can't really get a good pizza in Kansas (generally) as being bad is pointless.

Quote:
If you want to accuse me of making a jab at the kind of pop-culture, faux-sophistication one is inundated with in NJ go right ahead though.
There it is. Again saying that everybody in NJ is some sort of vacuous bubblehead with false feelings of culture from insubstantial outlets.

Now while I agree that 99% of Broadway is incredibly stupid (and, ironically, where I see 90% of the American Tourists coming from the midwest...) I will also say that just the diversity in food alone, and its ready supply of different exotic nationalities is enough to broaden most peoples horizons.

Quote:
That's not to say everyone in NJ fits this mold, but it is laughable how many people jump on the "cultural and diversity" bandwagon or for the "green" bandwagon and have no idea what they're talking about. There are lots of people that are very enthusiastic about these things, but how many actually do their homework to understand the issues? Very few from what I see. (for the records I am pro-diversity and pro-environemnt; that doens't mean I have to latch onto thos ethings as my "indentity" however, nor does it mean I believe or embrace everything I'm told or jumped on the bandwagon when such matters became "cool")
>sigh<

People are like that everywhere. You have to look at it from a different perspective. If EVERY state has bumbleheads and wagon-jumpers, which states have wagons that are at least worth jumping on?

And, like you said, there are some that don't jump, but actually make teh wagon in hopes that it will take them, and enough others, where they want to go.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 AM

81 posts, read 226,756 times
"When you apply averages to too large a sampling, you get innacuacies which are usually explained by "standard deviations" on the bell curve. Individual municipalities will not fall within your definition just because you feel you need to define most of J as Urban because a few of its bigger towns skey the average."

Sigh... so which is it then, are there huge urban centers in the county that are so big and so densely populated that they "skew" the rest of the county, or is the population above or near the urban threshold over the majrity of the county?

Either way you just said it yourself in mathemntical terms that parts of Morris County are urban. There are many potential mathematical possibilities, but there is no denying this based on what you just said.

Keep it up Ninja while the rest of the world sees it's stereotypes about NJ people strengthened!

Just a few examples:
The way they were putting it down was their lack of cultural diversity and variance. You then said that this does not matter.

"I know that lack of divirsity IS a difference between areas in the US, but the diversity that is marked by a lack of something is rarely a boon."

Typical arrogant brash defenseive Nj response from one who assumes that NJ and it's ways "must" be better than anywhere/everywhere/someplace else.

"I am not saying that there are not good things about these areas, but denying the fact that you can't really get a good pizza in Kansas (generally) as being bad is pointless."

Certainly no more pointless than trying to argue that NJ is awesome becuase it has good pizza.;-)

For all the talk about diversity and so on you're really showing your narrowminded, urban/suburban-centric attitudes here.

Anyway, I'm sure the folks that wanted to know about NJ have seen enough of "NJ", and I've made my points for anyone with more imprtant things to do than get defensive about NJ whenever it is suggested that for some people, there is a better way if one is open to seeing it.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 AM

NJ, just a hint.

Put the tag [ quote][ /quote] (without spaces) around someones quoted passage. It makes it MUCH easier to read.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Wow. You must drive very slowly and take lots of bathroom breaks. It takes me 4 hours to Boston and 4 hours to DC. If there is not traffic, 3.5 hours.
obviously it depends on where in NJ you are...clearly someone in northern NJ would have a further commute to DC than would someone in southern jersey.

Um...duh?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Keep telling yourself that.
South Jersey is the shore & AC, that's about it.
I'll take the shore and AC anyday over the farms and sh*t up north

Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Geez, here we go.

Northern Jersey is not all farms and poop. Central jersey, as once the manufacturing and shipping center for the area, bears the brunt of being the place where most people get their bad impressions of NJ.

Southern Jersey has some attractions, but it is much more rural than North (in general). It tends to be less exciting and have less thnigs to go and see (Philly is more Central/West NJ).

North Jersey also has some industrial areas that are less attractive to be in (although I can't name individual towns by name) but neither is that bad.

I think there is just more to "do" in North Jersy than south due to its proximity to NYC.

What's with all the hate people?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Geez, here we go.

Northern Jersey is not all farms and poop. Central jersey, as once the manufacturing and shipping center for the area, bears the brunt of being the place where most people get their bad impressions of NJ.

Southern Jersey has some attractions, but it is much more rural than North (in general). It tends to be less exciting and have less thnigs to go and see (Philly is more Central/West NJ).

North Jersey also has some industrial areas that are less attractive to be in (although I can't name individual towns by name) but neither is that bad.

I think there is just more to "do" in North Jersy than south due to its proximity to NYC.

What's with all the hate people?
I would like to know how come you can't make lefts in NJ? And what's up with the local and express lanes on the highways? It's hard to really know what lane you're supposed to be in if you're not familiar with the areas. I have missed my exit many times b/c of this. Also, is there anywhere NJ that doesn't smell? And why can't I pump my own gas?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would like to know how come you can't make lefts in NJ? And what's up with the local and express lanes on the highways? It's hard to really know what lane you're supposed to be in if you're not familiar with the areas. I have missed my exit many times b/c of this. Also, is there anywhere NJ that doesn't smell? And why can't I pump my own gas?
So, you don't know how to naviagate and that is a fault of the state. Lol.

As for places in the state that do not smell- check near these places:

Weichert.com : Buying : NJ : Bergen County : Real Estate Search Results

http://www.weichert.com/search/reale...2c9&ptypeid=32

http://www.weichert.com/search/reale...2c9&ptypeid=32
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey