Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 35,924 times

Advertisements

Just recently relocated to Monmounth County from California. My son, 7, has Autism and attends public school in Marlboro. So far it's been great compared to the quality of education and resources he was receiving prior to moving to NJ. Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts about this school system that is in a simliar situation?

Would it be better to get him into a specialized private school?

He's high functioning and we eventually would like to mainstream him. I just dont want to overlook anything now that we're in a State with much more resources for Autism than California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 07:48 PM

20 posts, read 142,065 times
I think inclusion is the way to go, kids model other kids and if you want to mainstream him why don't you start now? He should have an aide and continue therapy of course. You should be able to find info. That county if I am correct has a very high number of children with Autism, I think the CDC was there investigating. I say just ask for EVERYTHING it never hurts. I live in North Jersey so I am not familiar with that area. Good luck to you.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 35,924 times
Thanks Valerie123,

I've been reading different threads in this forum about autism programs in other counties (Union, Essex,etc) and just want to see if I settled in a right area. Good thing is that i'm only renting a home so if this school district doesnt provide the proper services I can move to one that can.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:07 PM

11 posts, read 59,128 times
our daughter has high functioning autism too and she is in inclusion class. she has made great strides since being classified! say what you want about new jersey, but it has the best services for autistic kids. we live in south jersey and the school gives her so many services and they even provided a social skills class for her over the summer in addition to other services she requires.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafbaked70 View Post
Just recently relocated to Monmounth County from California. My son, 7, has Autism and attends public school in Marlboro. So far it's been great compared to the quality of education and resources he was receiving prior to moving to NJ. Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts about this school system that is in a simliar situation?

He's high functioning and we eventually would like to mainstream him. I just dont want to overlook anything now that we're in a State with much more resources for Autism than California.
Marlboro does have a good school district and as long as they clasify him he will get all the help so eventially he can be mainstrimed. I have had friends in the Marlboro school district that had children in Special Ed. The HS district for Marlboro is Freehold Regional and its separate from the Lower level schools. I lived in Manalapan and my son has a friend that went to Freehold Regional and also has a form of Autiusm. Right now he just graduated from Rutgers and is in their for graduate school in Engineering. He's doing wonderful.
Diane

Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 PM

18 posts, read 86,172 times
In a perfect world, inclusion is the way to go. In the world that we live in SC, special Ed just doesn't work that way.
We are having great success with Florida Virtual School online courses. If their courses are not in compliance with the standards for you state, they will align them within 72 hours. These courses are no cake walk but allow your child to recieve an education in the event that your local public school is not able to provide adequate services.
Regardless of the state you live in, record all IEP meetings and request copies of meeting minutes as they offer different information than other documentation by the school. If you assume that what is talked about and even promised in these meetings, then the state that you are in is denial. There are some great Special Services Directors out there that take ownersip and responsibility for their actions.
Good luck!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 PM

56 posts, read 290,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafbaked70 View Post

Inclusion only works if the right resources are in place; well trained aides, teachers open to having a "different" child in their class, students/parents educated to the special needs of a particular child and demystifying the concerns. Special ed and the specifically IEP is about individualized setting that is the child's best needs...and not a cookie cutter placement. Being around "typical" peers is imperative...in the right setting and with facilitation. Otherwise kids with typical siblings would automatically do better and that's wishful thinking.

It's always about what's in the child's best interest where progress can be made, stress diminished. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2007, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 10,723 times
Default asperger's syndrome social skills training

I have a son 15 with asperger's. He is a freshman in High School and was just classified this year to receive some in class support in some classes; I am trying to find some social skills classess/training for him to help him blend a bit better and to help deal with some bullying issues. Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone have information about this kind ot training?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 PM

44 posts, read 270,055 times
Such a shame these kids have to go thru this sort of thing, as if they need another thing to deal with. I did some searches, what county are you in? that might help . We have one of the model me kids dvds, a bit like watching paint dry but good info for my son who has learned from it. The dvds for older kids are probably a bit better for keeping interest.

Autism | Social Story Therapy for Children with Autism | Healing Thresholds | Connecting Community and Science to Heal Autism

Social Skills Training Videos::Autism::Aspergers

Old 10-05-2007, 07:40 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonviv View Post
I have a son 15 with asperger's. He is a freshman in High School and was just classified this year to receive some in class support in some classes; I am trying to find some social skills classess/training for him to help him blend a bit better and to help deal with some bullying issues. Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone have information about this kind ot training?
SPAN NJ (Statewide Parent Advocacy Network) will have some information for you:

Statewide Parent Advocacy Network, Inc. - serving the families of New Jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey