Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 05:41 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I had out of state license and plates and expired registration. So my car got impounded and the only way to get it back is to show the police valid registration and insurance. The problem is the person who has the car under his name is out of state and in order to get it re-registered I have to have it smogged in CA. So to avoid that I'm getting it registered in NJ. Now since the legal owner isn't in NJ I have to have it transfered to me. What exactly do I need to do with the DMV to get this done? Also, am I going to have to get new insurance? Has anyone else gone through this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 06:39 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,632 times
The owner has to sell the car to you legally (for whatever amount, a dollar, etc) and then give the deed to you as proof that the car is yours. Then you go register it at DMV. You need to get NJ insurance at the same time.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,803 times
not sure about the legality of someone selling you a car that is impounded. Something that you might want to check out before actually transferring the title to your name

Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Where the vehicle is physically located is no matter. The vehicle has to be sold to you. If the value of the vehicle is substantially higher than the purchase price they will ask you to pay taxes on the fair market value of the vehicle, regardless of what you actually paid for it. Once you have the CA title or deed or whatever its called in CA, you contact an ins agency in NJ and get ins. It can simply be liability at first just to get it out of impound. Once you have ins, you take the CA paperwork to the DMV and apply for title/registration/plates. Typically they can do it all in one day. Once you have the ins and registration in your name, you take those docs to the impound yard, pay the storage fee, an hopefully they dont care that your putting new plates on the car. Once you have the car you have 30 days to get it inspected.

This is the order in which I suggest you do everything.
1) Get in contact with the impound yard and explain whats going on, make sure they will accept new docs in your name to release the vehicle. If not, no point in step 2
2) Visit a local DMV office and find out exactly what paperwork, ID, etc you will need to bring with you once you are sold the vehicle.
3) Once you have everything from both places, start the paperwork process. If you overnight the paperwork from the owner I dont see why you couldnt have everything done in about a week.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
not sure about the legality of someone selling you a car that is impounded
Obtain a valid title, signed over to yourself. Obtail insurance and have it registered, then the vehicle can be released from impound.

You must ask yourself is the value of the vehicle going to be worth this cost? If not, you can simply turn the title over to the salvage yard (or they will get a salvage title when the value of the car isn't as high as the yard fees.

Before you go through this, why was the car impounded? Were you issued a Failure to Maintain/Have Insurance? If you your DL privileges in the state will be suspended making a car (for the usual three month suspension) a waste of money.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 PM

Thanks guys

Old 11-10-2009, 08:05 PM

Also, another question I have is, between license and registration fees and impounding fees, how much am I going to be billed total?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:13 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
That is impossible to say. The cost of the registration is somewhat static but the cost of insurance has too many variables. The cost of the impound will include the actual town but the storage costs can add up quickly.

you still will have the cost of the motor vehicle summons which will include a mandatory license suspension if you were issued a Uninsured Operator summons (39:6B-2).

You can call up the impound yard which should get you a good ballpark on their costs. As you still have to get a title for the changeover to a NJ registration, I'd say your costs are going to be very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey