Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:20 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,632 times

Advertisements

Ok, first up, everyone saying that this kid needs to man up and just go to BHS, remember, the kid is only about 14.

To the OP, honestly, out of those choices, and I am only saying what I would do, send him to PC or Bosco.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 07:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Yikes............... I'm not trying to be mean or insensitive, but if he can't handle the rough & tumble streets of Bergenfield , how will he deal with the greater world at large?
Unless he plans on a career in academia or some sort of research field, gruff individuals permeate in many, many professions.
A smart pushover is as disadvantaged as someone not so intellectually inclined.
Take my opinion as you see fit............
Are you really comparing teenage bullies to "gruff individuals" in the professional world? Seriously?

When was the last time someone beat you up at work for your lunch money?
BHS is not a good school. Period. I graduated from BHS, and it was not a good school back when Bergenfield was a much nicer place to live.

I love how people ignore school rankings. The school is in the bottom third of all high schools in NJ. Come on, now! I remember how ridiculously unprepard I was for college after graduating from BHS. I would never do that to my own children.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:36 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Are you really comparing teenage bullies to "gruff individuals" in the professional world? Seriously?

When was the last time someone beat you up at work for your lunch money?
BHS is not a good school. Period. I graduated from BHS, and it was not a good school back when Bergenfield was a much nicer place to live.

I love how people ignore school rankings. The school is in the bottom third of all high schools in NJ. Come on, now! I remember how ridiculously unprepard I was for college after graduating from BHS. I would never do that to my own children.
Lots of people from all over feel that way, including some who came from private school.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:02 PM

11 posts, read 37,529 times
Thank you for all your comments...we're listening very closely...If you have something to add, please do...

Old 07-04-2009, 04:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Lots of people from all over feel that way, including some who came from private school.
Not all private schools are good.

I'm not just talking about feeling like, "Wow, college is tough!" I'm talking about being a straight A student and feeling like, "What the...????!!!"

In my opinion, a gradutate from Princeton, or Homdel, or a good private school would have a different experience than someone graduating from BHS. Don't you agree?

Old 07-04-2009, 09:17 PM

11 posts, read 37,529 times
Quote:

I'm not just talking about feeling like, "Wow, college is tough!" I'm talking about being a straight A student and feeling like, "What the...????!!!"

In my opinion, a gradutate from Princeton, or Homdel, or a good private school would have a different experience than someone graduating from BHS. Don't you agree?

What advise you can give me if he will choose BHS over SPP. Since he realized that SPP is really far, he's telling us now that he can go to BHS. If we will push him to try first SPP, and if doesn't work then he can transfer later on, do you think that's a good idea? It will not complicate things? Thanks!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 10:12 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo123 View Post
What advise you can give me if he will choose BHS over SPP. Since he realized that SPP is really far, he's telling us now that he can go to BHS. If we will push him to try first SPP, and if doesn't work then he can transfer later on, do you think that's a good idea? It will not complicate things? Thanks!!!
If you're convinced that the academic program at BHS is weak, and you're willing to put your foot down and "push him", then consider "pushing him" to do something that serves his interests -- send him to one of the local Catholic schools, so he'll have some time to complete his homework assignments.

Has the commute time to SPP led him to reconsider the other two schools ? If either of those schools are half decent, academically, it really should be a no-brainer.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:

O, surely.

I went to a school on par with SPP and I felt the same way for that first semester, though.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Thank you for all your comments...we're listening very closely...If you have something to add, please do...
Why don't you rent an apartment in tenafly? You could rent out your current home for the four years, if you own. If you rent, the difference for a year's rent from B-field and Tfly shouldn't be more than $10K (or is it?). Tenafly borders Bergenfield, so your work commutes would change only slightly and your son's commute to the HS would be bike-able. No big bad bullies there, either.

Here's two listings in Tfly:

entire house w/modern kitchen and nice backyard (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/1240050278.html - broken link)

$2000 / 2br - $2000 2 br tenafly, nj excellent price for size (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/1252536620.html - broken link)

Old 07-05-2009, 04:28 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,632 times
Quote:
I'm confused. Why is this so much his choice? I understand you want his input, but I don't think he's old enough to make such a big decision on his own. How did he decide how he did or didn't like schools?

Here's my opinion. Send him to Paramus Catholic. It's a big school, it's close to home, it's diverse, it's co-ed. If he hates it, let him go back to BHS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey