Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
I'm on Bright and Varick... I know it's a city but considering it's on the edge of the neighborhood, is there anything I should know? Thanks.
Things you should know about what? Parking, or the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 AM

636 posts, read 1,423,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Things you should know about what? Parking, or the neighborhood?
Sorry... the neighborhood. I felt safe there but was just wondering if you had anything to add.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Sorry... the neighborhood. I felt safe there but was just wondering if you had anything to add.
The Van Vorst neighborhood in general is extremely safe, and vibrant. It's a phenomenal neighborhood...in my opinion, it's the best in JC. Some say Paulus Hook, but to me, Paulus Hook is a little TOO quiet.

You are kind of on the edge of things where you are. There's not much foot traffic. Things get a little bit sketchy starting with the Pathmark parking lot. No downtowners go there...it is a nightmare there. When I say sketchy, I don't mean dangerous, just low lifes asking for change, etc. Stay away from Booker T, obviously. I live directly on the park, so my block is usually pretty lively, I can watch the movies in the park on Wednesday nights, there are always people walking their dogs, etc. Since you are on the edge of things over there, just be vigilant like you would in any urban environment. It's very safe for an urban environment, but it's a city, and you should always pay attention after dark. Where did you move from?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The Van Vorst neighborhood in general is extremely safe, and vibrant. It's a phenomenal neighborhood...in my opinion, it's the best in JC. Some say Paulus Hook, but to me, Paulus Hook is a little TOO quiet.

You are kind of on the edge of things where you are. There's not much foot traffic. Things get a little bit sketchy starting with the Pathmark parking lot. No downtowners go there...it is a nightmare there. When I say sketchy, I don't mean dangerous, just low lifes asking for change, etc. Stay away from Booker T, obviously. I live directly on the park, so my block is usually pretty lively, I can watch the movies in the park on Wednesday nights, there are always people walking their dogs, etc. Since you are on the edge of things over there, just be vigilant like you would in any urban environment. It's very safe for an urban environment, but it's a city, and you should always pay attention after dark. Where did you move from?

Duly noted. I moved from Parsippany, and then from Somerset County – so I’m not a city boy. I will be commuting to Essex County down 280 every morning but since I’m young, I wanted more of a downtown life and PATH access to NYC.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Duly noted. I moved from Parsippany, and then from Somerset County – so I’m not a city boy. I will be commuting to Essex County down 280 every morning but since I’m young, I wanted more of a downtown life and PATH access to NYC.
You mean "up 280" I used to make that commute daily, to Parsippany/Fairfield area. That must have been you on JClist asking about the quickest route from V V P to 280.

You made a good choice in the neighborhood. Don't get me wrong, it's very safe...just much, much different than Parsippany (in a good way). It's a city, and should be treated as such. But don't walk around looking like you are lost. You'll feel very comfortable after a few months of living there. Downtown JC is just as safe as Hoboken, with IMO a better overall vibe.

If you haven't already, check out Barrow Street Bar to watch games (great neighborhood bar, think "Cheers"), Zeppelin Hall the beer garden, Iron Monkey rooftop bar in the summertime on Fridays, the Merchant for happy hour, York Street Tavern for Thursday happy hours, Bar Majestic for a good place to take a date, Light Horse Tavern for the best restaurant in JC, and LITM for more of an artsy scene. That new place in Newport, Michael Anthony's, looks really cool...I am thinking of taking my boat there for dockside service. I used to spend most of my social hours in NYC, until I realized there is a lot of fun to be had at the venues right here in JC...and it forces you to get to know your neighbors!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
You mean "up 280" I used to make that commute daily, to Parsippany/Fairfield area. That must have been you on JClist asking about the quickest route from V V P to 280.

You made a good choice in the neighborhood. Don't get me wrong, it's very safe...just much, much different than Parsippany (in a good way). It's a city, and should be treated as such. But don't walk around looking like you are lost. You'll feel very comfortable after a few months of living there. Downtown JC is just as safe as Hoboken, with IMO a better overall vibe.

If you haven't already, check out Barrow Street Bar to watch games (great neighborhood bar, think "Cheers"), Zeppelin Hall the beer garden, Iron Monkey rooftop bar in the summertime on Fridays, the Merchant for happy hour, York Street Tavern for Thursday happy hours, Bar Majestic for a good place to take a date, Light Horse Tavern for the best restaurant in JC, and LITM for more of an artsy scene. That new place in Newport, Michael Anthony's, looks really cool...I am thinking of taking my boat there for dockside service. I used to spend most of my social hours in NYC, until I realized there is a lot of fun to be had at the venues right here in JC...and it forces you to get to know your neighbors!
Yes, that was me on JCList. So, I have to thank for all of your help lately. I was initially looking hard at Hamilton Park until you mentioned Van Vorst and I liked it a little better.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Can I park downtown on the weekends?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 954 times
I have a parking spot available Feb 1st for $250 on Jersey Avenue, 1 block off Newark Avenue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey