Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times

Advertisements

Paramus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM65 View Post
My partner and I are considering a move from Chicago to the Tri-state area. One of the reasons is the weather in Chicago. We both grew up with 4 equal seasons that included nice summers, but for all Chicago has to offer, its summer doesn't get going until July, and even then winds from the north or off the lake can keep the highs in the mid-60's. I know that's ideal for many, just not for us, both outdoorsy kind of people who think the idea of needing jackets in July is bizarre. We like to hike and bike and it's hard to find decent days for long bike rides most summers.

We live in a suburb of Chicago called Evanston which borders the city, and has a fairly urban feel to it - walkable streets, multiple business areas, a nice downtown. Daily needs are within walking/biking distance (gym, markets, cleaners, restaurants, etc.), though we commute to work. We like it here because it is mixed (racially, age-wise, nationalities, incomes), there's a university here which adds to the vibe, a great farmers market, and it's a very pedestrian friendly town. We have both a small, independent grocer nearby, as well as a Whole Foods within walking distance.

I know there are Whole Foods in a number of NJ burbs, and I'm hoping to get a house in the 800K - 1M range, hoping for a decent sized yard for gardening (ours is currently small, 33' x 120'). Also, we'd need to live near enough to walk to a commuter train that goes into NY.

Any ideas of places that fit this description?
I don't know what the tax situation is around Chicago but are you aware that New Jersey has the highest property taxes of all 50 states ? You may wish to look a little further south.......like Delaware.....for you tax dollar to go substantially further and still be able to enjoy urban areas plus Philadelphia and Baltimore culture.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 PM

377 posts, read 1,115,283 times
I am moving to De, and taxes are soooo cheap. The problem is that it is Delaware and there is not as much to do.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:56 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Montclair.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:27 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
I would suggest any of the Caldwells

(North Caldwell, West Caldwell, and Just plain Caldwell)

Old 07-14-2009, 04:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
I was thinking New Brunswick would offer what they were looking for but in the price range they would only offer Condos mostly. If condo living is an option, I would highly recommend New Brunswick as well. Great downtown, right next to the train, lots of great restaurants, and a decent nightlife.
No offense, but if I was spending 800K to 1mil on a place to live, it wouldn't be in a place with a crime rate as high as New Brunswick and a damn-near sanctuary city to boot.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 PM

127 posts, read 544,481 times
Chatham, Madison, Bernardsville, Basking Ridge

Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 PM

18 posts, read 44,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Ridgewood (Bergen County) might fit.

Good luck with your move!
Ridgewood for sure! fits all your needs

Old 05-06-2010, 05:34 PM

237 posts, read 1,110,961 times
Not only does the Princeton area provide a wonderful urban feel but for me watching the Princeton Rowing Team practice while enjoying a picnic lunch, and biking along the Canal are a couple of the all time favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey