Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:18 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times

Advertisements

OK I am not sure if this really warrants it's own thread but whatever.

I want to open a pizza place, and we've been looking all over around here (Midland Park, GR, Ridgewood, Wyckoff, etc.) but pickings are tough. Just for example there's a cute little place right across from the train station for CHEAP, but they will not pizza because they own the whole damn block and don't want to upset their other pizza places. Half of the other places won't let you do food and the remaining ones want $7000 a month for 1000 sq ft, plus taxes and maintenance.

This has basically been an ongoing multiple year long thing where I already have purveyors and distributors lined up, built a brick wood fired dome oven in my backyard, make and visit pizzerias every day of my life, I have a PT job working at a pizzeria to gain inside knowledge, etc.

So we were thinking about testing the waters a little by leasing a fully equipped business. These usually come up when someone established a business but had to leave in a hurry for whatever reason, and didn't get to either sell the business or sell their fixtures. Obviously this is usually meaning a NOT successful business so there is something to overcome there. However, it allows us to see what we think about the whole deal with no initial investment which is at a BARE minimum 20-30k otherwise.

There's a pizza place on Howard Road (actually 2, this is one of the 2) in Mt. Arlington that closed 3 weeks ago (according to owners of building). The owners of the building (not the pizzeria... they are gone) are trying to lease out the space fully equipped. I am sure it's much easier for them.

As far as I can see there's only 1 other pizza place in Mt. Arlington - Frank's which I am sure is the town favorite.

I don't know much about Mt. Arlington, other than I hear it is a quaint town. So what can you tell me about this area? Would I be nuts to try something where I don't "know" the demographic/target customer. I imagine it's a little different than right by Ridgewood and would take that into consideration.

We are going to go check out the place this weekend, and go for a hike or something while we're out there. We'll try out the competitors pizza too

Any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:32 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Besides Frank's in Mt Arlington you have Napoli which is actually Landing at the Mount Arlington border/
Both Napoli and Vinny's Pizza on Espanong Rd in Lk Hopatcong deliver as well..the Napoli driver is always at my neighbor's house..lol...she doesn't like cooking

Are you looking at Pomodoro?? They closed???

Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 AM

587 posts, read 2,177,912 times
make it like Pub 199 and you got yourself a winner, that place is always crowded.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:41 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Thanks for the insight. Sounds like I am going to be eating a lot of pizza this weekend! Looking at the map I also see Sal's, and Cambiotti's. So that's about 5 in a very small area A bunch more in Lake Hopatcong too I guess.

Yes I am pretty sure it is/was Pomodoro. This is what the owners of the building tell me. Do you know anything about it?

Old 07-10-2009, 07:45 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
OK I am not sure if this really warrants it's own thread but whatever.

I want to open a pizza place, and we've been looking all over around here (Midland Park, GR, Ridgewood, Wyckoff, etc.) but pickings are tough. Just for example there's a cute little place right across from the train station for CHEAP, but they will not pizza because they own the whole damn block and don't want to upset their other pizza places. Half of the other places won't let you do food and the remaining ones want $7000 a month for 1000 sq ft, plus taxes and maintenance.

This has basically been an ongoing multiple year long thing where I already have purveyors and distributors lined up, built a brick wood fired dome oven in my backyard, make and visit pizzerias every day of my life, I have a PT job working at a pizzeria to gain inside knowledge, etc.

So we were thinking about testing the waters a little by leasing a fully equipped business. These usually come up when someone established a business but had to leave in a hurry for whatever reason, and didn't get to either sell the business or sell their fixtures. Obviously this is usually meaning a NOT successful business so there is something to overcome there. However, it allows us to see what we think about the whole deal with no initial investment which is at a BARE minimum 20-30k otherwise.

There's a pizza place on Howard Road (actually 2, this is one of the 2) in Mt. Arlington that closed 3 weeks ago (according to owners of building). The owners of the building (not the pizzeria... they are gone) are trying to lease out the space fully equipped. I am sure it's much easier for them.

As far as I can see there's only 1 other pizza place in Mt. Arlington - Frank's which I am sure is the town favorite.

I don't know much about Mt. Arlington, other than I hear it is a quaint town. So what can you tell me about this area? Would I be nuts to try something where I don't "know" the demographic/target customer. I imagine it's a little different than right by Ridgewood and would take that into consideration.

We are going to go check out the place this weekend, and go for a hike or something while we're out there. We'll try out the competitors pizza too

Any suggestions
There was a bargain in Mt Olive a few months back... in the Trade Zone center next to Sam's Club. If that's still available... great location as long as you can make a decent pie. Alot of the Trade Zone employees head over to that area for lunch. The current owners have no clue on how to make pizza. Prego on cardboard with cheap cheese : ) My dad made the best pizza! He had a pizzeria in West Milford for years until the "mafia" came and took it away .

I'll go and see if that place in Mt Olive is still available

Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
topless waitresses.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 AM

[quote=joe moving;9693708]Thanks for the insight. Sounds like I am going to be eating a lot of pizza this weekend! Looking at the map I also see Sal's, and Cambiotti's. So that's about 5 in a very small area A bunch more in Lake Hopatcong too I guess.

Yes I am pretty sure it is/was Pomodoro. This is what the owners of the building tell me. Do you know anything about it?[/QUOTE]

Not really, I just wasn't aware they closed.....imho...very lousy location there,
you are past it before you even notice it..as far as that small area I think you biggest competition will be Napolis, and they deliver as well so make sure you check them out
Vinny's pizza isn't all that great but again he delivers

Old 07-10-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
There was a bargain in Mt Olive a few months back... in the Trade Zone center next to Sam's Club. If that's still available... great location as long as you can make a decent pie. Alot of the Trade Zone employees head over to that area for lunch. The current owners have no clue on how to make pizza. Prego on cardboard with cheap cheese : ) My dad made the best pizza! He had a pizzeria in West Milford for years until the "mafia" came and took it away .

I'll go and see if that place in Mt Olive is still available
That would be a great location ..if you know how to make a kick azz pie

Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That would be a great location ..if you know how to make a kick azz pie
My DW used to be the Store Manager at the Tuesday Morning store next to Frank's back in the day. That Frank's Pizza place was always filled w/ people.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:21 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
My DW used to be the Store Manager at the Tuesday Morning store next to Frank's back in the day. That Frank's Pizza place was always filled w/ people.
Franks moved out and another moved in... it's crap now! Went in for pizza one afternoon... you could hear crickets it was that dead! There's a restaurant on gsmls but I can't tell if it's the one or not. listed for 4500 (i'm assuming lease?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey