Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times

Advertisements

okay, so im about ready to make an offer on a home in a community type of place. so there are 4 homes for sale that are very similar and i would be very happy with any of them.

i contacted the realtor who has 2 of them listed. she showed them to me. i am separately contacting the other 2 to look at them.

so should i find a realtor to represent me in negotiations? i want them to compete for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,758,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
okay, so im about ready to make an offer on a home in a community type of place. so there are 4 homes for sale that are very similar and i would be very happy with any of them.

i contacted the realtor who has 2 of them listed. she showed them to me. i am separately contacting the other 2 to look at them.

so should i find a realtor to represent me in negotiations? i want them to compete for me.
What do you mean when you say "compete" for you? They don't make a commission from you, as you know.

Just remember that while people will tell you a buyer's agent has your best interest at heart, the listing agent will get twice the commission if you use him/her. This would make it much more beneficial to him/her to make the deal work! Technically, though, his/her loyalty is to the seller. That doesn't mean much if you are smart and you know how to direct the negotiations.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
What do you mean when you say "compete" for you? They don't make a commission from you, as you know.

Just remember that while people will tell you a buyer's agent has your best interest at heart, the listing agent will get twice the commission if you use him/her. This would make it much more beneficial to him/her to make the deal work! Technically, though, his/her loyalty is to the seller. That doesn't mean much if you are smart and you know how to direct the negotiations.

well, im a buyer with money that is definitely planning on purchasing one of those homes. so i want them to come to me with their best offer understanding that i am willing to take any of the 4 (and i plan to). so they would be competing for my business like a seller of any other item.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:27 PM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
You have to be careful when you contact a listing agent to show one of their houses. It's possible they will still get commission since they originally opened the door for you depending on how you did it. Did you sign anything?

Yes, you want your own buyers agent - you should have one before going in any of the houses.

Is this a new community or used homes?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You have to be careful when you contact a listing agent to show one of their houses. It's possible they will still get commission since they originally opened the door for you depending on how you did it. Did you sign anything?

Yes, you want your own buyers agent - you should have one before going in any of the houses.

Is this a new community or used homes?
they are used homes. bulilt beteen 1990-2001. i havent signed anything but im not sure if my wife did. gotta check with her on that one.

so even though i have seen all the homes i want to see and have it narrowed down to a handful, do i still get an agent? maybe i negotiate their commission down to a tiny bit since they would be doing so little at this point?

Old 07-20-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
well, im a buyer with money that is definitely planning on purchasing one of those homes. so i want them to come to me with their best offer understanding that i am willing to take any of the 4 (and i plan to). so they would be competing for my business like a seller of any other item.
Ok.
Even if you got this message across to the seller's agents, I'd be surprised if they said anything beyond, "Make an offer." You may know that you're serious about buying, but to the seller you are just another looker who may not even get a mortgage. Basically, without a written offer, no one will take you very seriously.

You can definitely ask the realtor to reduce his/her commission a bit. Especially if he/she is getting commission on both ends.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:32 PM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
Quote:
they are used homes. bulilt beteen 1990-2001. i havent signed anything but im not sure if my wife did. gotta check with her on that one.

so even though i have seen all the homes i want to see and have it narrowed down to a handful, do i still get an agent? maybe i negotiate their commission down to a tiny bit since they would be doing so little at this point?
The commission has nothing to do with you.
A seller lists their house. When they do, they set the commission, not the buyer.
With my old agent, it was say 6% that he gave 1/2 to the other (buyers) agent.
If one of the agents from his office sold it, the commission was lower, as I had already negotiated it.

Get your own agent.
Either a seller is going to take your offer or not. If not, move along to house number 2.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The commission has nothing to do with you.
A seller lists their house. When they do, they set the commission, not the buyer.

Roselvr, that's true. However, as a buyer, Cpt. can ask the agent to lower his commission to in turn, lower the price of the home. I'm talking about his own take home commission, not what the agency takes.

For instance, Cpt. uses the listing agent who now gets the full 6%. Let's just say the office is taking 50% of that. The agent is left with the other 50%. The agent can agree to forgo some of that commssion to help the sale along. It may not go over too well, but it's worth trying to negotiate.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:18 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,530,897 times
throw this question out on the real estate board on city data, go to the professional and ask them. See what they say.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Ok.
Even if you got this message across to the seller's agents, I'd be surprised if they said anything beyond, "Make an offer." You may know that you're serious about buying, but to the seller you are just another looker who may not even get a mortgage. Basically, without a written offer, no one will take you very seriously.

You can definitely ask the realtor to reduce his/her commission a bit. Especially if he/she is getting commission on both ends.
ultimately, im looking for the lowest price. if a deal with me is much more valuable than with someone else because they have an agent, would that change the seller's agent's role to kind of be working for me (as far as recommending them to take the offer i make).

so does it matter what realtor i use? any one in the area fine?

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-21-2009 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey