Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:51 PM

478 posts, read 1,231,915 times

Advertisements

3 gated condo communities right near Llewellyn Park in WO- Crown View, The Pointe at Crystal Lake, and Eagle Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 01:13 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,429,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Why wouldn't they? Did you have a valid reason for being there?

IMO, the only "gated community" worth anything is one with a well-paid guard at the gate. I lived in Las Vegas, where practically every development was "gated", but only the high $$ places had guards. I could get into any non-guarded community in a matter of minutes, by just hanging around waiting for someone else to come up and open the gate, and then following them in. Within a month of the place opening, every pool guy, pizza delivery driver, etc., had the code for the gate, so it was essentially worthless- the gates were open more often than they were closed.

Getting into guard-gated communities was much tougher- if you didn't have a valid reason for being there, which meant either being on the pre-approved list or having someone at the house you were visiting available to answer the phone when the guard called, you weren't getting in.
Oh wow, Smoke Rise brings back memories. I remember seeing the sign for Summit/Smoke Rise on our way to ski at Craigmere I think. That was in the early 70s.

I guess the gates are supposed to make you feel like you are on some grand estate.

However, Smoke Rise is gorgeous. I remember that much.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 12-22-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 08:33 PM

221 posts, read 380,556 times
I think I've seen one.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,435,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The Society Hill townhouses on route 440 in Jersey City are gated. There is also a large condo complex on route 22 in Union where a friend of mine used to live. I believe that community is gated but I don't recall the name of it. There is a gated community on Prospect Ave. in West Orange right across from the Essex Green shopping center. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.
there is also lewellyn park where whoopi goldberg lives (among some other wealthy individuals).

Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
They are very very uncommon and are absolutely the exception rather than the rule in NJ.
i think in most places they are the "exception", unless you're part of the upper middle class or upper class.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
People up here are generally dumber and think they are safe and won't be robbed.........at least until they are robbed. These are the same people who think their property taxes aren't that bad even though they are the highest of all 50 states.
1. look at the crime statistics.
2. i believe salaries are also closest to the highest of all 50 states.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Um, yeah.....that's it.....

Last I checked, the gates didn't "hold anyone back" from exploring beyond their neighborhoods- they're in place to keep undesirables from "exploring the neighborhood" of those who pay to live inside the gates.......
there's plenty of ways to keep undesireables from exploring the neighborhoods other than gates. i see why people would like gates, but it's not for everyone. many NJ towns have no parking on the street overnight. It's been around for decades, and is said to be a tool for ensuring burglers cannot "case the neighborhood". it's just not something everyone needs. if you like a gated community, buy a house in a gated community. I personally despise the concept of HOA fees. especially when people like to brag about how low their taxes are, since they don't count HOA fees as a tax...

Old 12-24-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
There is Lewellyn Park in West Orange. They're gated in, that community is super rich, but outside the gates, its a whole another world
yes, the rest of us peasants in West Orange are always hanging outside their gates, waiting for their scraps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey