Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,911,804 times

Advertisements

The only "gated community" around here would be the cemetary. My guess it's "gated" because people are dying to get in. Or out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,254,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Well said.

To anyone who likes gated communities: the next time you are in one or standing at the gate, say "architecture of fear" in your mind. Then, just stand there and think about it for a while.
I don't think there's anything wrong with gated communities. Architecture of fear seems strong. People live in gated communities because they want to live somewhere safe.

At the same time I"m not a fan of them. Visiting someone is always a hassle. A friend back home in Georgia lived in a gated apartment complex very nice next to a golf course in tranquil suburbia. His apt still got robbed though so the gate doesn't always keep out the riff raff. I don't even like visiting people in hi-rises because you often can't just walk into the building and go where you need to go. You either got to check in or get buzzed in. Or wait for someone who lives there to come up and you follow them in. I guess I grew up where you usually didn't have to go through all that to visit someone. You'd just park your car and knock on their door.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:19 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,983,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Down here in South Florida, lots of apartments/condos/houses are in gated community. How come New Jersey houses etc. are never in gated community? Especially the nicer houses in wealthy towns
I never seen any gated comm. in North Jersey

People up here are generally dumber and think they are safe and won't be robbed.........at least until they are robbed. These are the same people who think their property taxes aren't that bad even though they are the highest of all 50 states.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,833,755 times
I know there's one in Paramus by that George Washington Cemetery.

Honesty.. I think they're corny.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:02 AM

825 posts, read 3,163,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Down here in South Florida, lots of apartments/condos/houses are in gated community. How come New Jersey houses etc. are never in gated community? Especially the nicer houses in wealthy towns
I never seen any gated comm. in North Jersey
because us New Jerseyans like to go out and explore things beyond our own neighborhoods. we don't need gates to hold us back. there's a whole world beyond those gates, that us New Jerseyans have the desire to explore. that's why we have very few gated communities.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 AM

9 posts, read 17,318 times
Gated communities are never "home"

=/

Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 18,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
People up here are generally dumber and think they are safe and won't be robbed.........at least until they are robbed.
This is silly, of course. Otherwise, there would be no locksmiths in New Jersey.

Of course New Jerseyites are aware that danger lurks outside. But the safety (or at least the perception of safety) provided by gates and walls are far outweighed by the loss of connection to the outside (both physical and psychological). It's not that one way is better than the other, but simply a matter of what people value.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:30 AM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
Gated communities are for people afraid of the world outside their imaginary bubble of safety in my opinion.
I agree. Isn't it great when one of them on the inside snaps and does something horrific?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,768,542 times
i like the idea of a gated community. develops a better sense of closeness to those in your community. helps facilitate community activities. makes you feel better than everyone outside the gate.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,412,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
because us New Jerseyans like to go out and explore things beyond our own neighborhoods. we don't need gates to hold us back. there's a whole world beyond those gates, that us New Jerseyans have the desire to explore. that's why we have very few gated communities.
Um, yeah.....that's it.....

Last I checked, the gates didn't "hold anyone back" from exploring beyond their neighborhoods- they're in place to keep undesirables from "exploring the neighborhood" of those who pay to live inside the gates.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey