Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times

Advertisements

In south jersey by the coast it really hasn't been that cold yet. I haven't had to turn the heat on yet as the house has not dropped below 67 degrees. I think my friends to the north and west had to fire up the furnace already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 09:02 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
I was up at Bridgewater for a wedding saturday and can definitely tell you that North Jersey is about a week or 2 ahead of south Jersey as far as trees changing colors. Down here in SJ the trees are still green up there the colors are changing to gold telling me North is (has) been colder then SJ.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I was up at Bridgewater for a wedding saturday and can definitely tell you that North Jersey is about a week or 2 ahead of south Jersey as far as trees changing colors. Down here in SJ the trees are still green up there the colors are changing to gold telling me North is (has) been colder then SJ.
Good point! I visited a friend in Caldwell a couple weeks ago, and just now are we starting to look like it did there, then.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:32 AM

28 posts, read 96,939 times
Snow amounts --> big difference...weather wise...there is a chance you get rain and we (sj) don't and vice versa...storms can come up from the south and give sj rain but it tampers off in central jersey...

Old 10-13-2009, 12:25 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Coastal towns get less snow accumulation, U can have 7 inches in north jersey, 5 in central, 3 in south and 1 in AC.

Newark often gets hotter than south jersey in the summer, maybe because it's an urban environment. Winters are worse in north jersey no doubt, sometimes by a matter of getting a snow storm while south jersey stays clear or rain, but the closer to the ocean u are the better. Over 100 degrees isnt unusual each summer. About 10 years ago it reached 110 and within a couple years can reach as low as 7 degrees in south jersey or even below 0 in some areas.

It could easily rain hard in one spot and be dry 15-25 miles away. I experienced this from being at work and talking on the phone to my house. Like-wise with sun and clouds. Swampy areas are more humid in the summer but feel good in the winter. Breezes feel good along the shore and bays.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 6,702 times
I agree with what everyone is saying NJ is in a unique geographic area many southern plant species reach their northern limit in south jersey and and vise versa, I believe it has already snowed this past month in sussex county the northernmost county but here in south jersey flowers are still alive and we havent had a hard freeze yet... so there is def a difference more so in winter though not so much in summer, south is warmer and much less snowy.

And if your thinking how is that possible since new jersey is only 166 miles north to south its because the dividing line between air masses has to land somewhere and more times than not that line between 30F temps and 40f temps in winter is pretty much draped right across our state.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 PM

123 posts, read 568,443 times
NJ's weather is VERY unique...I went to Ramapo College and live 10 minutes to the southeast...sometimes we would get 6" of snow at home and 10" at school...and my friend who grew up in Brick right on the water couldn't get enough of the snow at school/home. She was always saying they would have only a couple inches all winter, whereas in northern NJ we usually get WAY more...the typical winter in NE NJ is about 25-30" of snow, but more in NW NJ, and much, much less in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey