Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:19 PM

37 posts, read 88,334 times

Advertisements

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Aug-19-09 New Jersey Gained 13,000 Private Sector Jobs in July; Unemployment Rate Rose Slightly to 9.3 Percent (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/lwdhome/press/2009/approved/081909_employment_release.html - broken link)

NJ official release for July

Old 08-19-2009, 04:27 PM

11 posts, read 30,258 times
Hi everyone,
I've been reading this blog for a while now; just never posted any comments. Just wondering, while we're all waiting for the McDermont bill to be passed: has anyone completely exhausted their benefits? I know that I read on here that someone was collecting for 2 years.. if so, how was that possible?
Thanks guys... hang in there

Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,989,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08879 View Post
Just wondering, while we're all waiting for the McDermont bill to be passed: has anyone completely exhausted their benefits?
According to a report in the New York Times on August 1, 2009,
www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/us/02unemploy.html

"Tens of thousands of workers have already used up their [unemployment] benefits, and the numbers are expected to soar in the months to come, reaching half a million by the end of September and 1.5 million by the end of the year, according to new projections by the National Employment Law Project [NELP], a private research group."

At the state level, the NELP projections for New Jersey are that 25,749 will have exhausted their extended benefits by the end of September 2009; 47,889 will exhaust their extended benefits by the end of December 2009.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:58 PM

37 posts, read 88,334 times
At least the TUR is now above 9 percent (now at 9.1% instead of 8.8%) So if anything were to be passed before the August unemployment rate is released we should qualify (I believe 9 percent is stated now in the current proposal but obviously that number could change). That means the unemployment rate could drop for August down to 8.5% and we could still have a TUR of 9% or greater. Obviously it would be better for us if it stayed in the 9s in the long run. (Not for the good of the economic situation of the state but in order to stay qualified for any further possible extension if it is passed).

Last edited by Unemployed_In_NJ; 08-19-2009 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM

39 posts, read 111,013 times
yes but when give evry one EB for 13 weeks what after that??? must give evry one 6 months extension not EB and soon when evry one his extension run out will sleep in street ...

and some time when u call unemployment office they laugh in my face and they told me no more exension and they told me go find JOB

and they know no job the pepole work in UNEMPLOYMENT office they thing they buy th money from thim (pocket)

God bless the usa

Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,989,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unemployed_In_NJ View Post
At least the TUR is now above 9 percent (now at 9.1% instead of 8.8%) So if anything were to be passed before the August unemployment rate is released we should qualify (I believe 9 percent is stated now in the current proposal but obviously that number could change). That means the unemployment rate could drop for August down to 8.5% and we could still have a TUR of 9% or greater. Obviously it would be better for us if it stayed in the 9s in the long run. (Not for the good of the economic situation of the state but in order to stay qualified for any further possible extension if it is passed).
I think looking at this situation from a national perspective -- as Congress claims to be doing -- makes your case even more forcefully. New Jersey is clearly not alone!

According to NELP, 32 states had three-month average unemployment rates over 8% (April, May, June 2009), and 14 states and the District of Columbia had three-month average unemployment rates over 10%.

While we have yet to see the July 2009 numbers for all states, it's hard to imagine that any will show significant improvement. The unemployment rates are expected to continue to rise -- albeit at a slower pace. And any true recovery is going to take a long time, particularly given how many of the "lost jobs" were eliminated and are not expected to come back.

Congress cannot drop the ball at this point on a problem that is affecting so many states across the board -- regardless of geographic region or political leanings. Otherwise the coming outcry over unemployment will make the current health care reform "uprisings" look tame!

Members of Congress can't go into mid-term elections in 2010 with so many people out-of-work and sinking further into insolvency. They simply have to come up with more funding for extensions to save their own hides.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:16 PM

39 posts, read 111,013 times
today in the news they talk about too many pepole not have any extensions left ....

and they said maby this pepole need too find way too work and live !!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:58 AM

11 posts, read 30,258 times
Thanks Diorgirl; you've been very helpful (as you know) to everyone on this blog.
I'm scared, just as everyone is, of what's going to happen when these extensions run out. I love how the people who work in the various unemployment agencies act like there are jobs of every skill level just sitting out there waiting for us!!
I did notice, and that's why I had asked before, that someone with the user name of WendyEF had said that she's been collecting for 2 years.. Wendy, if you read this, and that is true, how have you been able to do so? I'm not planning on being on UE for 2 years; just looking for a safeguard, if it comes down to that.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 AM

37 posts, read 120,790 times
My 2 year mark is coming up also collecting benefits, there was a breif pause last year that I had a troublesome pregnancy so I went on disability for a few months but after I was better and able to go back to work my unemployment picked up where it left off it stretched over 2 years with the extensions

Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 PM

20 posts, read 66,090 times
Here's a good article detailing the various options the unemployed have to further their education and how to pay for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/ed...tionalspecial2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey