Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 AM

6 posts, read 51,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
At this time, NJ would qualify to receive a fourth extension in benefits if:
(1) the bill that passes sets a minimum requirement of a three-month average unemployment rate at or below the three-month average that NJ has (currently 9.7 percent).

In their most recent discussions and proposals (including HR 3548), federal legislators have reduced the level of the three-month average unemployment rate required for an extension to 8.5 percent. So if the legislation with that 8.5 percent requirement is passed, NJ would qualify for the next extension.

AND

(2) the bill providing an extension is enacted before the September 2009 rate is determined (sometime in October 2009).

Right now, the three-month average for all states includes their June, July, and August rates; after the September numbers are announced, the three-month average will include their July, August, and September rates.

So NJ's eligibility could change if there is a dramatic drop in the September unemployment rate -- a drop deep enough to pull down the three-month average, below the average rate required in the legislation.

An aside about Unemployment rates:
At first glance, a dramatic drop in a state's unemployment rate might seem next to impossible in this economy.

But remember, the unemployment rates are essentially calculated based on the number of people actively seeking employment.

And the government has traditionally used the number of people collecting unemployment benefits (people who are supposedly actively seeking employment to get those benefits) to determine the percentage of jobless.

So once a person no longer collects Unemployment, he or she drops off the statistical radar and is not included in the official number of unemployment.

Given the masses of people collecting -- and eventually exhausting Unemployment benefits -- the traditional formula for determining the unemployment level at national and local levels would no longer be accurate. How can those who are out of work, actively seeking employment, but no longer eligible for benefits not be included???

In fact, economists have speculated that the current official unemployment rate at the national level could be as much as 5 to 8 percentage points below the actual rate.

It's a very complicated situation -- at the very least, how can the federal legislators base extensions on unemployment rates that most people acknowledge are not being calculated accurately???

Expect to hear more in the press about this "inaccurate tracking issue" on all federal and state benefits (including Unemployment) as more funding is needed for extensions -- and for health care reform.
Diori,
I have heard that their are conflicts with people going back to school and getting a Pell Grant from the Government and then being denied unemployment benefits because they are attending school? This makes no sense to me. If it is true, who is going to give up benefits to go to school when they need the unemployment $$$ to pay their bills...I thought when you went back to school unemployment would extend your benefits for at least 28 weeks or is just another story?
Trekin

Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 AM

139 posts, read 291,031 times
ty cad99 i wasen't sure

Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 AM

48 posts, read 150,087 times
you know, i'm wondering if they (congress) think they have plenty of time. they seem to have the idea that a few of us will lose their benefits at the END of September, and most at the end of December. but the truth is - MANY of us received our last check in August! the media seemed to keep putting "END of Sept." out there - and I think THAT may be a BIG part of the problem, and a HUGE misunderstanding - that's hurting us.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,956,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monorati1405 View Post
on my last eb form were they show you the date and there phone # i'm showing blank does that mean that i am not eligibal for the next extention. i'm really getting nerves. just like everyone is its getting close to the end of the month and next will be the rent.
As posted, there is no 4th extension yet, so I doubt they are showing eligibility for one.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 PM

348 posts, read 470,174 times
FYI

Rep Steny Hoyer D-MD just said that on the agenda for next week will be the discussion and passage of bill H.R. 3548, and other bills. He was basically giving next weeks schedule. I just got a quick listen as I was flipping through the channels. It occured at 2:20 today on C-Span. At least now we know it will be next week.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM

39 posts, read 110,965 times
Print | E-mail
CQ TODAY MIDDAY UPDATE
Sept. 17, 2009 – 1:58 p.m.

House to Consider Unemployment Benefits Extension

The House is expected to take up an unemployment benefits bill next week that would extend the available safety net for jobless workers in states hit hardest by the recession.
The measure sponsored by Rep. Jim McDermott , D-Wash., would allow 13 extra weeks of benefits for workers in states where the unemployment rate has surpassed 8.5 percent. That would come on top of the emergency extensions approved in last year’s supplemental spending bill and this year’s stimulus.

CQ Politics | House to Consider Unemployment Benefits Extension (http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=5&docID=cqmidday-000003204963 - broken link)

Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,534,047 times
i told you two weeks and my previous post is right, it will be passed and it will lead you into christmas. I am sure of it. However after this one, I dont know.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 PM

47 posts, read 98,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
i told you two weeks and my previous post is right, it will be passed and it will lead you into christmas. I am sure of it. However after this one, I dont know.
after they add 13 weeks that woulkd make 92 weeks of unemployment for some of us. and we are lucky for that, but i would agree after this is passed i would think we better some how get our acts together in the nexts four months, because the chance of another extention will be highly unlikely for us. i no its still gonna be hard out there, dont get me wrong. buy consider this extention a blessing and move on from here

Old 09-17-2009, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 18,230 times
Hey guys it Kate. the login is messed up for my account so I had to create a new one. Did this ever happen to any of you?

Anyway, I just read the article which was linked in the post above. How come it says some states have received up to 59 weeks? We had more than that. if you count
claim: 26 weeks
tier 1: 20 weeks
tier 2: 13 weeks
eb: 20 weeks

That is 79 weeks so far but these articles never say that number. they say 59 weeks. I hope that doesn't mean that people who have gotten 79 weeks are finished. Any input?

thanks

Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,534,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cad99 View Post
after they add 13 weeks that woulkd make 92 weeks of unemployment for some of us. and we are lucky for that, but i would agree after this is passed i would think we better some how get our acts together in the nexts four months, because the chance of another extention will be highly unlikely for us. i no its still gonna be hard out there, dont get me wrong. buy consider this extention a blessing and move on from here
agree, but dont tell anyone im not looking for a job. However I did manage to get fired in May 2007, got unemployment then all the extensions. So basically that guy firing me , was a blessing. Its a funny story too why he fired me, he fired me because he would not stop smoking weed at work. I had a problem with it, and told him to smoke it in his car and that I have been off drugs for along time , he said he had ms and needed it due to all the pain, however he refused to stop smoking weed at the job. He fired me. So that why I got fired due to a guy with MS my boss, owner of the company but not the building so basically the other people in the building smelled it coming out of the office and this was just a crazy situation. This is all true to!! So he yelled at me he can damn smoke weed all he wants and get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey