Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:27 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
The percentage of the population that is white.
Thanks!

To the OP, how did you get this data? Does the Census data break down race by age at the zip level?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I would hope it is to help people who are looking for diverse areas and not for any other reason.
It doesn't really help them with that (e.g. some towns near the bottom of the list aren't very diverse).

As distasteful as we may find the quest for a lily-white upscale neighborhood, if someone really wants to live there, it's better for everyone that they move there instead of moving into diverse neighborhoods.

As someone who is planning to move to South Orange, I'd be quite happy to direct the bigots to other towns

Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
What makes this list exhaustive is that it addresses only the non-hispanic white population in the elementary school years.
No, the fact that it addresses only the non-hispanic white population makes it exactly the opposite of exhaustive (I think a more accurate description would be white ethno-centrist)

As harsh as that description seems, I'm completely for compiling and releasing this information.

If someone wants to live in an upscale lily-white neighborhood, it's better for everyone that they find such a place.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
No, the fact that it addresses only the non-hispanic white population makes it exactly the opposite of exhaustive (I think a more accurate description would be white ethno-centrist)

As harsh as that description seems, I'm completely for compiling and releasing this information.

If someone wants to live in an upscale lily-white neighborhood, it's better for everyone that they find such a place.
I agree. It's not a helpful list to find a "diverse" place (I have issues with that description but so be it). It's helpful if you are looking for a town that will most likely be white for the next twenty years.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:52 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Quote:
As distasteful as we may find the quest for a lily-white upscale neighborhood, if someone really wants to live there, it's better for everyone that they move there instead of moving into diverse neighborhoods.
Why is that "distasteful?" If I had to relocate to New Jersey from some other state, these are the types of communities I'd be looking for, especially if I had school-age children. I would venture a guess that most people would seek similar locations, given they could afford them. People just don't say it because they like to appear liberal and "tolerant" or some other buzzword along those lines.

And by the way, I could've probably come up with this list off the top of my head - at least the NJ parts. I get that there was "exhaustive research" or whatever, but this list isn't exactly groundbreaking.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Why is that "distasteful?" If I had to relocate to New Jersey from some other state, these are the types of communities I'd be looking for, especially if I had school-age children.
I don't know why it's distasteful either. It's ok, for example, for Asians to come on here and saying they are looking for a town with a significant Asian population.

Why is it not ok for a white family to say something similar?

I know when I was looking for a town, my race, ethnicity, income level, and religion played in.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
I don't know why it's distasteful either. It's ok, for example, for Asians to come on here and saying they are looking for a town with a significant Asian population.

Why is it not ok for a white family to say something similar?
It's not terribly similar. First, "Asians" don't look for other "Asians" -- they look for the same nationality (e.g. Koreans, Chinese, Indians).

Second, they aren't looking for places that are 100% "Asian".

I think there's a big difference between looking for a town that is >10% white (to avoid being "the odd one out"), and looking for a town that is 99% white.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It's not terribly similar. First, "Asians" don't look for other "Asians" -- they look for the same nationality (e.g. Koreans, Chinese, Indians).

Second, they aren't looking for places that are 100% "Asian".

I think there's a big difference between looking for a town that is >10% white (to avoid being "the odd one out"), and looking for a town that is 99% white.
You're correct on your first point. They are looking for the same nationality/ethnicity/religion. Not just other Asians, which is too broad a term to be meaningful.

I remember a recent post on here where an Asian family was absolutely looking for a very Asian town (I forget what countries) and she was unapologetic in saying that the other towns in the area weren't "diverse" enough for her. Meaning they were too white and not Asian enough. And that's fine, so be it, but I think that if a white family came on and said something similar, they would get accused of all sorts of things.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM

625 posts, read 3,636,011 times
Default I have to say it because I stumbled upon this list and comment....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Imply? You seem to have a problem with reality.

Is it racist to say that non-white areas are almost always poorer if it's the truth?

Some people in their overzealous drive for artificial equality seem to want to cover their ears with a pillow whenever they hear something which implies that every race isn't equally successful.
I'm just throwing this out there but look at pay scales and hiring rates. Minorities not hired as much in corporate high paying jobs.
Look at the pay scale

White Males highest paid followed by
White Women
Black Women
Black Men

Now in some cases you can reverse black men and black women and you can probably say in some instances very rarely though they will earn more than their white male/female counterparts. And before anyone jumps down my throat about where I get my figures from it's from working in corporate offices, being privy to pay information, and speaking with coworkers who hold the same exact position, both with bachelor degrees but one is paid higher than the other. Hell I've found out a girl who started after me, less experience than me, and has a lesser role than me earns a $1 more per hour. Only difference was our skin color. Uh oh someone is going to say I pulled the "race card"

Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
well I dont have a problem living with Black, hispanic, asian I have a problem actually one that I never thought of ........... it white people. However its the WHITE HILLBILLE!!! This is the worst. Trust me, the worst. A white person who is a hillbilllie. Give me a black or asian any day. I have lived with all types but this one and the past two years I got my dose of this, and they are the worst group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey