Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:47 AM

284 posts, read 543,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Irvington is on the borders of the towns of Hillside and Union.
Thank you for the clarification. So since Irvington borders Maplewood and Newark, if I followed your reasoning I could say, "Irvington is the slum of Newark and Maplewood." Sounds a little odd but I do understand what you were saying now.

Just curious: what part of Irvington did you live in? I lived on Lincoln Pl. for a few years before I moved back to Newark. I still have family in the area of Lincoln and Chancellor right by Irvington General Hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 09:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
I was mistaken throughout the thread in thinking that you knew that I was opposing RACISTS who say something disparaging about Irvington. Not just anyone who does. So I hope you can understand my motif a little better now.

Just for the record: You are obviously a person who has a better than intermediate handle on the English language, and you present your beguiling argument well; however, I just find it more than sad that an evidently well-read person is so intolerant.
okay, so you are battling racism. its ok to think irvington is a slum, as long as you arent saying so because you are a racist. im not really sure where i said anything regarding race. i work in a very multicultural place, lived in brooklyn 4 years, washington dc 4 years. i dont think i judge a place as a slum purely based on racial factors. im not sure where you got that from. my reasons are probably the same as RobRiguez, maybe because he is latino and im white, that makes me the racist one?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
okay, so you are battling racism. its ok to think irvington is a slum, as long as you arent saying so because you are a racist. im not really sure where i said anything regarding race. i work in a very multicultural place, lived in brooklyn 4 years, washington dc 4 years. i dont think i judge a place as a slum purely based on racial factors. im not sure where you got that from. my reasons are probably the same as RobRiguez, maybe because he is latino and im white, that makes me the racist one?

No, not because you are a non-hispanic Caucasian. I have read posts in the past on other threads by you that were blatantly racist. In this thread you started with the photoshopped picture of an African aiming an automatic weapon at Rite-Aid. Then you continued with racially insensitive and bigoted ideas, which is in line with your ideas on other threads. I have never seen a black man walking in front of Rite-Aid on Springfield Ave. holding an automatic weapon above his head. Have you? I walk down that avenue twice a day and pass in front of the exact spot where you pasted the gunman on. I have seen people of African descent in suits and ties, casual and neat urban dress, sweat-suits, sundresses, police uniforms, postal carrier uniforms, in uniforms for various chain-stores, dirty clothes, workmen clothes, with t-shirts with marijuana leafs and $100 bills on them; but I never once saw an African-American holding an automatic weapon, or any weapon for that matter.

So could you explain about the time when you saw an African-American holding and pointing an automatic weapon into the air on Springfield Ave?

Last edited by NEWARK MAGIC; 08-28-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 AM

587 posts, read 2,178,803 times
Although very entertaining you guys should continue via DMs

Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
Although very entertaining you guys should continue via DMs
Are you a moderator? Are we violating any part of the TOS? I have not personally attacked CaptainNJ or anyone else, nor have I been attacked. If you think otherwise, report our posts to the moderator and let him/her decide if we should be issued any infractions. Or.... just exercise free-will and go to another thread if you do not like this one.

Advice: perhaps you should pick up a book or a pamphlet on the basics of debating.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 AM

593 posts, read 1,661,100 times
Quote:
No, not because you are a non-hispanic Caucasian. I have read posts in the past on other threads by you that were blatantly racist. In this thread you started with the photoshopped picture of an African aiming an automatic weapon at Rite-Aid. Then you continued with racially insensitive and bigoted ideas, which is in line with your ideas on other threads. I have never seen a black man walking in front of Rite-Aid on Springfield Ave. holding an automatic weapon above his head. Have you? I walk down that avenue twice a day and pass in front of the exact spot where you pasted the gunman on. I have seen people of African descent in suits and ties, casual and neat urban dress, sweat-suits, sundresses, police uniforms, postal carrier uniforms, in uniforms for various chain-stores, dirty clothes, workmen clothes, with t-shirts with marijuana leafs and $100 bills on them; but I never once saw an African-American holding an automatic weapon, or any weapon for that matter.

So could you explain about the time when you saw an African-American holding and pointing an automatic weapon into the air on Springfield Ave?
Captain NJ is a clown. For real, the type of person that gives New Jersey a bad reputation.

And I too have seen him saying all these blatantly racist comments in other threads as well and getting away with it. I can't take him seriously.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:

it was meant as an exaggeration of reality for humor purposes and to imply that it isnt a safe area. i think that was obvious to anyone who doesnt have a chip on their shoulder regarding race. if it was a bad area that was predominantly white, i would have used a white person's picture.

i dont consider myself racist. i do consider myself racially insensitive. i point out positives and negatives in any race, including my own. i dont really care because ultimately the only important people to me are myself, my family and my friends. everyone is fair game for my criticism. if people of all races didnt act in similar ways to others within their race, then i wouldnt be able to do it so much but they do so racial generalizations are often accurate and funny.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Captain NJ is a clown. For real, the type of person that gives New Jersey a bad reputation.
do you realize how dumb it is to keep saying "for real"? are you trying to keep it gangsta or something?

do you really think i give nj a bad reputation? everybody loves me. im a great person. you are the one who has a problem with everyone walking the streets in new jersey. everyone pisses you off. you think nj is full of jerks. i think people are great and are always friendly to me. people with a cognitive skills would recognize there is a reason why my experiences are so much different from yours.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:34 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. So since Irvington borders Maplewood and Newark, if I followed your reasoning I could say, "Irvington is the slum of Newark and Maplewood." Sounds a little odd but I do understand what you were saying now.

Just curious: what part of Irvington did you live in? I lived on Lincoln Pl. for a few years before I moved back to Newark. I still have family in the area of Lincoln and Chancellor right by Irvington General Hospital.
I never said I lived there. I DID say i am familiar with Irvington.... As a teenager I used to hang on Springfield ALOT. I used to hang at the "Sweet Shop" on Mill Rd close to the C-Town (if you are familiar, the owner used to drive a Purple Rodeo everyone called Barney) I dated a girl off Chancellor (near Coit) for about a year and was in the neighborhood almost daily at that time (albeit maybe 12 years ago). My wife is from Irvington and when we started dating we would go into Irvington to vist her family. They have all since left Irvington. A friend and coworker currently lives on Weiland (or Welland I dont remember the street name exactly) which is a block from Irvington Park/Lyons Ave. Im at his house at least once a month.

So, now that you and everyone else here reading this knows my history with Irvington, tell me I am not qualified to make an accurate assessment of what Irvington is currently like and how it has changed over the years.

If you agree that I know what I am talking about, then you must also agree that we simply have a difference of opinions (based on our own personal experience). As stated earlier, the Irvington "I" am familiar with is a crap hole. Probably better than or equal to Elizabeth where I am from. But thats not saying alot. If it is getting better, I havent seen it.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 AM

the beauty is that even if i am never there, i can pass along an opinion based upon some of the opinions i have read here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey