Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,406 times

Advertisements

SPECIAL REPORT: Property taxes are stealing our way of life | thedailyjournal.com | The Daily Journal

All our talking is finally showing up in real world statistics:
N.J. again finishes near top in out-migration survey: N.J. again finishes near top in outmigration survey - NJBIZ.com

MUNOZ SAYS THERE ARE MANY REASONS WHY NJ HAS 4th HIGHEST OUTBOUND MOVING RATE | Politicker NJ

Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Let's start with the biggest chunk of where our property tax dollars go: the school system. Now, paying teachers a fair wage is one thing, but paying them a fair wage plus another 40-50% in non-cash benefits upfront is another. What profession do you know pays up to $100,000+ in cash plus another $60,000 lifetime annuity? Also, don't forget they only work about 228 days when you factor in summer vacation, every holiday you can imagine plus sick time, plus the free medical insurance they receive. That's right all of this, plus they still have the gumption to complain they don't make enough money.

Unless they can deliver 100% or close to it in terms of; academically qualified competent young adults into society, tell me why we continue to cater to their demands?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 AM

370 posts, read 1,370,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Let's start with the biggest chunk of where our property tax dollars go: the school system. Now, paying teachers a fair wage is one thing, but paying them a fair wage plus another 40-50% in non-cash benefits upfront is another. What profession do you know pays up to $100,000+ in cash plus another $60,000 lifetime annuity? Also, don't forget they only work about 228 days when you factor in summer vacation, every holiday you can imagine plus sick time, plus the free medical insurance they receive. That's right all of this, plus they still have the gumption to complain they don't make enough money.

Unless they can deliver 100% or close to it in terms of; academically qualified competent young adults into society, tell me why we continue to cater to their demands?
I hear you on this. I am so tired of listening to them complain. I was blown away when my friends told me that they just got a new contract with raises and they got checks with retro pay too. Every place I turn to someone is losing their job and they can't afford to pay their mortgages and already high taxes but the teachers are getting raises. With that I can only assume our Taxes will go up.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Right - half your tax bill goes to K-12 education. The other half is normally divided between your town and your county. Your county takes the money for roads, libraries, county jail, county park system, etc.

I could understand complaining about high education taxes if you weren't getting anything for your money but NJ ranks in the top 4 in the country in almost every indicator of having a good public school system - and in most categories is #1 or #2. I have quite a few friends who are teachers. Some in NJ some in Philly - it's just like any other industry - they follow the money. If your district doesn't want to pay the going rate they won't attract the best and brightest teachers.

And you gotta get a grip with these stats from Mayflower - as if they're the only moving company out there or that most people don't move themselves. If people want to move, good for them, but more than enough people are moving into the state to replace them. If the state was actually losing population property values would be in free fall right now.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
I'll never begrudge teachers a decent salary, and quite frankly, the salaries aren't what's driving up our taxes so much anyway. The pension system and health care is what's killing us, as well as the funneling of suburban money to the cities. It's a lethal combination.

Teachers should be enrolled in a 401K and chip in for their health benefits. Someone has to stand up to the NJEA. If the teachers strike, "go Middletown on them" and send them to jail.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 AM

79 posts, read 344,077 times
I don't doubt that NJ has high property taxes; I had my chance to experience them until I moved out of state 7 years ago. But the grass on the other side is not be as green as you may think ... here in NC the state income tax is MUCH higher than in NJ. In fact, my total tax burden was not more than 10% less that first year I was here. I'm sure taxes increased there, as they did here, since then. But NJ actually does not fare too much worse than NC when you look at the stats on total tax burden.

Also for those hoping to retire on pension, note NC does NOT offer a pension income exclusion except if you are a retired federal employee. Sorry NJEA retirees! I understand NJ excludes on the order of $20K pension income. That will help save you enough to pay the high preoperty taxes!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,815 times
what about our municiple officials getting over 100,000 to run the towns or police officers getting 95,000 year. i live in aberdeen and i know there are a few officers who are getting over 75,000 year.yes they do a dangerous job but in aberdeen. this is not camden or newark where im sure they dont get that much.. as i've said before in my town i've noticed 2 brand new suv's that the chief of police drives around in. why??????

Old 09-28-2009, 10:29 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
what about our municiple officials getting over 100,000 to run the towns or police officers getting 95,000 year. i live in aberdeen and i know there are a few officers who are getting over 75,000 year.yes they do a dangerous job but in aberdeen. this is not camden or newark where im sure they dont get that much.. as i've said before in my town i've noticed 2 brand new suv's that the chief of police drives around in. why??????

I understand your gripe, but as a practical matter, don't assume that the guy didn't get a great deal on his SUV. Today's economic enviornment has made car dealers desperate to move inventory "at any price" including one that may hurt their bottom line, but is far less costly than maintaining it on their lot.

Other than that, yes, there is overcompensation across most public-sector jobs. The problem most of society doesn't understand is once you award raises, you can not institute across the board wage decreases to unionized folks, short of firing them. Most people do not have the stomach for firing their local cop or teacher, especially if they do a good job, for which the most part they do. The key here is to recognize a 5% annual raise will compound over time to a near "tripling" of their salary over twenty years. This alone will cause the "unfunded benefits" portion; meaning pension, healthcare and associated goodies to triple.

The state has enormous liablilites today, if you continue to re-elect these buffoons into office, your kids will have "no" future tomorrow. Think about that come election day, before you flip the switch. Never mind the guy running is your next door neighbor, does it look like he's doing a good job for you now?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
A municipal administrator actually has a very difficult job that takes someone with very specialized training to accomplish. Not only do you have to, essentially, run the whole town single-handedly (put into place policy orders from the governing body) but you have to be familiar with EVERY state agency, how it works, and how to go about getting grants, permits, certifications, everything.

And while police officers are well paid in this state, it's the same issue as with the teachers. Their salaries aren't killing us one bit - the benefits are. The state can't sustain hiring people and then paying them and providing their health care until they literally die. Public employees should be enrolled in a sensible 401K and contribute to their health benefits. Additionally, local police departments in most of suburban New Jersey should be abolished and stronger county sheriff's departments should take over traditional law enforcement duties.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM

835 posts, read 1,180,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Right - half your tax bill goes to K-12 education. The other half is normally divided between your town and your county. Your county takes the money for roads, libraries, county jail, county park system, etc.

I could understand complaining about high education taxes if you weren't getting anything for your money but NJ ranks in the top 4 in the country in almost every indicator of having a good public school system - and in most categories is #1 or #2. I have quite a few friends who are teachers. Some in NJ some in Philly - it's just like any other industry - they follow the money. If your district doesn't want to pay the going rate they won't attract the best and brightest teachers.

And you gotta get a grip with these stats from Mayflower - as if they're the only moving company out there or that most people don't move themselves. If people want to move, good for them, but more than enough people are moving into the state to replace them. If the state was actually losing population property values would be in free fall right now.

Is it that the school systems are good or the parents are professional and make sure our kids go to school and do their homework? Do NJ schools have a special magic text book that is better than school says in NC or FL? I think NJ schools are "good" is because the parenting is good as both parents are usually professionals that teach their kids good values about education. Teachers do nothing more than read out from a text book and make sure we follow a syllabus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey