Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 22,348 times

Advertisements

Friends, I am looking into a house in the Murray Hill sub division of New Providence, NJ. How is the Murray Hill area near the railway station? Is this part of New Providence good to raise a kid? Any comments will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Me thinks it's too nice to call a "subdivision. Subdivision sounds too institutionalized or whatever.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:20 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,345 times
New Providence is very small town and there is no good or bad area. Murray Hill is more like premium section of New Providence, but generally all area in new providence are very nice and good for kids and family. We almost got a house in Murray Hill section as well, but we finally gave up because of high tax in New Providence. In addition, we do not really prefer hilly backyard because there won't be enough space for our young child to run. Therefore, we turn our target to the town next to New Providence - Berkeley Heights which is very nice, and the tax rate is slightly lower than NP.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:17 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
Ah, I always thought Murray Hill was part of Berkeley Heights! I learn something new every day.

Murray Hill is very nice, don't worry.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:36 PM

6 posts, read 22,348 times
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM

219 posts, read 541,761 times
Default Murray Hill is nice, either in NP or BH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Ah, I always thought Murray Hill was part of Berkeley Heights! I learn something new every day.

Murray Hill is very nice, don't worry.
I know this thread is very old but I am bored. So I'll hijack it.

"Murray Hill" originated when the scientists and inventors picked a new place to build their "Bell Labs" in the 1930's-40's. They were mostly from NY and liked the Murray Hill area of NY so they brought the name with them. They also had homes built just for them, and it became the high tech equivalent of the typical factory town. At the time it even had its own post office (07901) near the Murray Hill train station.

However, the area was actually super-imposed on top of New Providence and Berkley Heights, where the two meet south of the train tracks - down to where Bell Labs is to this day. (yes the old adage: "which side of the tracks one lives on" would be applicable). Anyway, NP and BH went viral over who was going to get the tax revenues. I think to resolve it, the building of Bell labs is in BH, while the lawn is in NP. Dunno.

Well the post office closed in the late 60's/early 70's so if you send a letter to a Murray Hill address today, the zip code will determine who gets to deliver it: 07974 for NP and 07922 for BH. So a house in Murray Hill can be located in Berkeley Heights or New Providence, depending on its physical address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: