Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:06 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times

Advertisements

After a recent trip to Nouri's and Corrado's, I was close to Walmart on rt 46 in, I believe, Lodi. Because it came up in a thread a while back, and I hadn't been to one in NJ yet, I decided to check it out. It was Friday afternoon at about 3:30.

It was hell. I saw hillbillies there amongst all the ghetto-fabulous shoppers, and I had to wonder where all these people come from. I don't see a crowd like that anywhere else in Bergen County, not even at National Wholesale Liquidators. I compared their prices to what I paid for things on a recent shopping trip to Shoprite and with 2 exceptions, Shoprite was not only cheaper but had more options and better value. The 2 things that were cheaper at Walmart were Entenmann's cookies which were $1.95 and a can of beans that was a few cents cheaper than Shoprite, although all the other cans of beans were cheaper at Shoprite, regardless of what kind of beans. Also, ShopRite has Goya beans for as low as the Shoprite brand, usually 3 cans for $2.

The pasta aisle led me to believe that only a completely ignorant shopper would ever buy pasta at Walmart. Barilla pasta was slightly less than ShopRite's regular price, but Shoprite is always putting Barilla on sale for 88 cents to $1.20 or so, and Walmart had it well over $1.20. Walmart's crappy-looking generic past was also over $1 a package. There was no pasta for under $1 a package, yet Shoprite and A&P routinely put pasta on sale for less than $1 a package, and often it's brand-name pasta. Still, I'd prefer Shoprite or A&P brand pasta over the generic crappy looking pasta in Walmart. 8 oz. of parmesan cheese, again a crappy generic brand, was $2.50 at Walmart; I got Colonna brand for $1.99 for 8oz. at Shoprite.

I also noticed that Walmart has little in the way of general baking needs like flour or sugar. Maybe one or two brands, again overpriced. The selection in general was horrible. I'll check out the Super Walmart in Harriman, NY next time I go to visit my friend up there; from what I remember, Super Walmarts have better selection but are still crappy, but I'll check it out next time I have a chance.

Meat and produce? Non-existent at regular Walmart.

I looked through the rest of the store a bit - toiletries were no bargain, deodorant, shampoo, soap, etc. were all more expensive than Target, Harmon, or a sale at CVS. They did have some very cheap clothes, but they sure looked as cheap as they cost. They had a name brand of clothing, I believe it was Adidas, that was at a good price, but it was one style, one color. Most of the other clothes were not any cheaper than Burlington or TJMaxx/Marshall's, and they weren't even known brands. It actually saddened me to think people throw their money away on the crappy, generic clothes here when they can get better for the same or less cost elsewhere.

But worse still was the environment. Loud, crowded with obnoxious people, kids running rampant unsupervised, huge groups of people slowly moving down aisles blocking those behind them... Everybody was rushing around as if the stuff in the store was 50% off. I have not seen a crowd like this anywhere else in Bergen or Passaic counties, or anywhere in NJ for that matter. I felt like I was back in Appalachia or the south. The workers there are dressed shabbily with only a cheap-looking vest thrown over their clothes. The workers did not look happy. Lots of arguments at the registers...

Why do we need this in NJ? We have far better options available. I wish people would become educated shoppers instead of "WalMart is CHEEP[sic]! WalMart is CHEEP! WalMart is CHEEP!" sheep. That ignorant mentality is what keeps WalMart going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
nope, walmart is awesome. your bias taints your views on walmart.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nope, walmart is awesome. your bias taints your views on walmart.
Well, I think for you it probably is awesome.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 PM

you said your primary compaint was the crowd. then you ask "why do you have this in nj?" do you think that non-New Jersey residents are traveling to the state to visit that walmart?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
Aren't you so special.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you said your primary compaint was the crowd. then you ask "why do you have this in nj?" do you think that non-New Jersey residents are traveling to the state to visit that walmart?
No. I think the most ignorant element of society in NJ mindlessly flocks to Walmart, and that that is what I was seeing. I'm sure also that many of them have lived outside of NJ and are used to their Walmart from back where they lived.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Let the market bear out whether or not the location succeeds in Lodi. I don't like shopping there either, so I try to avoid it if there are other choices. But I value that choice. I don't want to legislate against it.

If I was completely against that company in the first place, I wouldn't have taken time out of my busy day to go there, at all. I'd choose to spend my time engaging in something that I found worthwhile.

My guess, ultimately, is that this Wal-Mart, like the others, will succeed. Why? Because there is a large segment of shoppers that desire their goods and services, which happen to be in large measure, plastic, inexpensive items made in China and other third world environs. That being said, anyone who wants to exempt other box retailers, such as Target, K-Mart, Kohl's, etc from such scrutiny, I invite you to enter their stores and scrutinize where the products offered in those stores are made.

The problem isn't Wal-Mart. The problem is us, as consumers.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:22 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
I think people don't realize that Walmart is not the cheapest. Never liked them and I guess I never will. I certainly wouldn't go grocery shopping there with all the pathmarks,shoprite,stop and shops, a@ps in this state. JMO.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
No. I think the most ignorant element of society in NJ mindlessly flocks to Walmart, and that that is what I was seeing. I'm sure also that many of them have lived outside of NJ and are used to their Walmart from back where they lived.
so those you label "the most ignorant element of society" dont deserve to have a place to shop? you get to decide where its ok for them to shop and whats not ok?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Let the market bear out whether or not the location succeeds in Lodi. I don't like shopping there either, so I try to avoid it if there are other choices. But I value that choice. I don't want to legislate against it.

If I was completely against that company in the first place, I wouldn't have taken time out of my busy day to go there, at all. I'd choose to spend my time engaging in something that I found worthwhile.

My guess, ultimately, is that this Wal-Mart, like the others, will succeed. Why? Because there is a large segment of shoppers that desire their goods and services, which happen to be in large measure, plastic, inexpensive items made in China and other third world environs. That being said, anyone who wants to exempt other box retailers, such as Target, K-Mart, Kohl's, etc from such scrutiny, I invite you to enter their stores and scrutinize where the products offered in those stores are made.

The problem isn't Wal-Mart. The problem is us, as consumers.
I'm not suggesting we legislate against them. I'm confident that in the long run Walmart will either die out in Northern NJ or they will remain a store that lives off ignorant, uneducated shoppers.

I just want to make people aware, as best as I can, that Walmart is no bargain, so that they will lose out in competition. I think already most alert shoppers are well aware that as far as food goes, ShopRite really can't be beat on price, and other supermarkets can also be much better options than Walmart. I know also that as people discover Trader Joe's they realize that there is such a thing as good quality at low prices. Walmart is filthy, compared to all these other stores, too.

I think with the high cost of land and taxes Walmart will never thrive in Northern NJ; they'll stay limited to a few stores and their shopping base will not grow.

As for Target, K-mart, etc. I have found their stores to lack the crazy crowds, the filthy appearance, and the false sense of low prices. Target is very good on prices when it comes to toiletries like soap, deodorant, shampoo, etc. K-mart is now Sears and has some decent quality to offer throughout the store. Supermarkets and other specialty stores like Harmon cosmetics, Corrado's, Trader Joe's, etc. offer much better selection, quality, and prices than Walmart.

You may be right that Walmart won't go away, but I don't think they'll be growing or thriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey