Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,895,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
yeah it wasnt cool to be a phillies fan before 2007. Poll 90% of them and they couldnt tell you 15 player son the team or who Mike Schmidt was, or lenny dykstra
And that's the definition of a bandwagon fan.

Whereas I, as a Yankee fan -- know the above, and know who Larry Bowa was, and watched him play back in he 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 AM

13,407 posts, read 28,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Yay!!! So glad my Yankees finally got #27. I also won $100.

Phillies played well, the Yankees just played better. Best of luck to the Phils and their fans next season.
cool!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 AM

9,376 posts, read 20,814,513 times
I still consider victories by the NY and Boston Red Sox and Cardinals teams hollow ones, until the economic system in baseball is fixed. I could have been the general manager of the Yankees, having divorced myself from baseball, given 200 million bucks and generate a winner.

The income gap in baseball in most cases equals a passion gap. People in NY just care more about the game, and it shows in the amount of revenue generated, whether it be by gate sales, cable TV contracts, concessions, etc. Even the Atlanta Braves, with their TBS channel, can't compete against Northeast USA baseball passion.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 AM

232 posts, read 613,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
congrats to the Yankees! Great win. Better luck next Phillies.. You fought a good fight guys!
Don't think you're off the hook that easy Frankie boy. You had an awful lot to say about this and I think you deserve to eat a bit more crow over your pathetic Frillies loss. I'll be back later to give it to you some more..............

Old 11-05-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKdros View Post
You must be very proud to finally win a World Series after 9 years of way overspending more than any other club and choking against the Red Sox's overpaid team (still paid less than the Yanks) and losing to other teams in the playoffs and World Series, like when you lost to Arizona who has payroll half of the Yanks. How impressive - spend more money by 50 mil or more and then when you finally win you Yankee fans puff up and strut around.
Jealous much?

The Arizona bit is a fallacy -- they took the players they got in the expansion draft and used them as trade bait for other players, then signed free agents. Schilling, Johnson, Gonzalez, Grace -- so don't parrot that nonsense about their payroll. They bought that championship as sure as the sun rises in the east.

Maybe if the owners of the other teams actually spent the revenue sharing and luxury tax money they received from MLB (actually, the luxury tax money comes mostly from the Yankees, and to a lesser degree, the Mets and the Red Sox) on their teams they might be able to compete.

So blame your ownership, guys, who pull money out of the teams, instead of the Yankees, who spend revenues on players instead of yachts.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You must be very proud to play within the same system, by the same rules, and have the same opportunity to buy the same players as the Yankees have, and have an owner who chooses to lose instead.
Amen, brother!

The Yankees play within the rules, and spend their money on the team. They want to win. They don't treat the team as a business where the bottom line is paramount.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Don't waste your keystrokes Kathy. That one is just full of gloom,doom and negativity regarding anything Jersey...
That's why I needed to set the record straight. I've been a Yankee fan over 50 years, and anyone who calls me a bandwagon fan does so at their own peril.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I still consider victories by the NY and Boston Red Sox and Cardinals teams hollow ones, until the economic system in baseball is fixed. I could have been the general manager of the Yankees, having divorced myself from baseball, given 200 million bucks and generate a winner.

The income gap in baseball in most cases equals a passion gap. People in NY just care more about the game, and it shows in the amount of revenue generated, whether it be by gate sales, cable TV contracts, concessions, etc. Even the Atlanta Braves, with their TBS channel, can't compete against Northeast USA baseball passion.
Then let the other teams spend the revenue sharing money and luxury tax proceeds on their teams. When you have teams whose payrolls are lower than what they receive in revenue sharing, that's what's wrong -- not the Yankees' ability to spend money on themselves.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:42 AM

308 posts, read 680,581 times
Yankees rule! To all you Yankee haters out there, eat your heart out! All your whining and jealousy really only makes you look bad. You wish you were the Yankees and had our 27 rings and wish you had our tradition of greatness and wish you had the great ownership that we have. The Yankees were the team of the 20th century and are now the team of this decade! Keep up the good work Kathy. See ya at the parade!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 AM

308 posts, read 680,581 times
I guess we shut your yapper. By the way who got crushed?! Phillies = Losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
one down, 3 to go!!!

Yankees = LOSERS!! They stunk last night! It was like the champs were playing some high school team!!! LOLOLO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: