Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBERSPACE View Post
In West Orange, you take a Bus line to NYC. In terms of demographics, all three towns are pretty similar.
Or drive/walk to the train station in Orange or South Orange. Both are within about 2 miles of most WO neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,442 times
I didnt realize that, lower gregory on rt.10 has to be down the hill, again if the neighborhood looks nice and its a good price go for it. The "bad" areas of W.O are just bad in in the contrast of the town, but compared to eastern essex county they are quite nice lol.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:53 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,441 times
i think the OP is looking at a short sale 137 Mt Pleasant Ave
listed at 390 for 5br

Old 11-01-2009, 04:16 PM

691 posts, read 1,427,040 times
That area isn't that bad but its right on top of the bad area. lets just say the farther downhill you go on Mt. Pleasant, the worse it gets, especially once you get over the route 280 bridge. Its like night and day.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,492 times
did u buy? Just wanted to say the easiest way to look for a good neighborhood in WO would be to see if you are walking distancets from the temple?Sorry I am no Jewish but those are the only best areas

Old 03-28-2010, 07:57 AM

7 posts, read 27,899 times
Default Need help!!!

We have been looking to buy a house for nearly 8 months. We have narrowed it down to the Radburn section of Fair Lawn and the Upper Gregory section of West Orange. We both need to get to the city for work so commuting time is a concern. We also want to live close to a park and for that Fair Lawn seems to win over WO. We like the charm of the homes in WO and the amount of green space around the town (although we won't be able to afford a country club membership). I have been reading posts and it seems like Fair Lawn has a better school system and is safer. We like the amount of space the house in WO affords and the up in the air view since it is on a hill. Fair Lawn is full of cape cods that are cute but small and the town just seems blah to me (minus the park). We plan to live in the house for at least 5 years and do not have children but probably will soon and are concerned about being able to sell the property down the road. Any comments advise would be greatly appreciated. We have to make an offer very soon and need all the information we can get. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumadvise View Post
We have been looking to buy a house for nearly 8 months. We have narrowed it down to the Radburn section of Fair Lawn and the Upper Gregory section of West Orange. We both need to get to the city for work so commuting time is a concern. We also want to live close to a park and for that Fair Lawn seems to win over WO. We like the charm of the homes in WO and the amount of green space around the town (although we won't be able to afford a country club membership). I have been reading posts and it seems like Fair Lawn has a better school system and is safer. We like the amount of space the house in WO affords and the up in the air view since it is on a hill. Fair Lawn is full of cape cods that are cute but small and the town just seems blah to me (minus the park). We plan to live in the house for at least 5 years and do not have children but probably will soon and are concerned about being able to sell the property down the road. Any comments advise would be greatly appreciated. We have to make an offer very soon and need all the information we can get. Thanks!

Being very familiar with Fair Lawn, and having a little bit of familiarity with West Orange, here's what I can tell you. West Orange is most likely perceived by the average New Jerseyan to be somewhat more prestigious than Fair Lawn. Both towns have a pretty wide diversity in terms of housing. Houses in Fair Lawn bordering the Glen Rock and Paramus areas tend to be fancier and more expensive than the small capes that tend to be more prominent than the other side of town that borders Elmwood Park and Saddle Brook. Radburn has some old, small houses, in the center of the community, but some really nice houses as well. Schools in Fair Lawn are all good, but there is some variance generally tied to the affluence of the particular area. The Milnes and Radburn schools, in more affluent areas of the town, are better. Schools like Westmoreland, in a less affluent area of town, while still good, are not as good. The high school, overall, is quite good.

In West Orange, the diversity of the housing is even more dramatic. West Orange is really two towns in one. The Valley is the area closest to Orange, and it's pretty run down. The houses here are old for the most part. In the hills, you have super fancy houses, the country clubs, the mansions and the yachts, and a community that is pretty much on par with the typical affluent Northern NJ suburb. As you can probably guess, the schools in the Valley are lousy, and the schools in the hills are great. The high school is so-so. I would say Fair Lawn High School is quite a bit better.

West Orange does seem to have slightly higher average property values than Fair Lawn. Of course, the typical Hills house will cost a lot more than the typical Valley house. I think that the abundance of Fair Lawn's small properties tend to bring down the median prices in the town some. The town has seemed to be holding up well in the past few years, however, with smaller pricing drops than in some other towns.

Fair Lawn is not really a country club town, while there are definitely parts of West Orange that are. But if you like that sort of thing, there are plenty around neighboring towns such as Ridgewood.

Both are good towns. For me, my biased answer is Fair Lawn. Better schools and you'll most likely get more house for the money. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 PM

7 posts, read 28,823 times
Very good area i know you and your family will be happy there.
goodluck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey