Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 03:11 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,167 times

Advertisements

I've been a long-time customer of The Provident Bank. Perhaps it's just because I'm depositing more checks now since I run a business, but it seems like the bank is putting "holds" on so many of my deposits. For instance, I deposited a check today for $249 that has a 5 business day hold, meaning it won't be available in my account until next Tuesday!

I was at the drive-in window and obviously couldn't ask them questions about the policy, but it seems like everything I'm depositing is being held for one reason or another. It's getting to the point where I never know how much money is in my account because it takes so long for everything to clear. Sometimes it has been the difference between thousands of dollars at once.

Does anyone else's bank do this to this extent? Is it some kind of state or federal law that they have to be held this long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 03:31 PM

11,342 posts, read 16,697,527 times
It's called Regulation CC.

Go in and ask them for a copy of their check hold policy.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,442 times
Affinity does this too.... though they leave the first $100 of a deposit accessible to you immediately, there is a 5 day hold on the rest. I have no idea why they do this, but I agree with you it is very annoying!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:36 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,243 times
Banks have always done this. While its much faster now than it ever used to be, it still takes time to contact the bank the check was drawn from, verify funds, then transfer those funds to your account. The only time it goes faster is if the check you are depositing is from the same bank you have your account at or if it is a business check. Some banks will waive or decrease the hold period for business checks.

Also, I assume you have a business account at the bank and not just a personal account. The rules for each are different and while it may cost a bit more for the business account, it may provide other benefits (electonic fund transfer, merchant account services(cc processing) etc). Lastly, alot of banks will release a good % of the check being deposited if the funds in the account are well above the check amount. So if you have $5k in the account and your depositing $200 they may just release the entire amount immediatly for the fact you clearly have enough to cover the check should it be a bad check.

The best advice I can give tho is to go in (or call) and talk to someone about your concerns and ask what is the best solution they can offer. It may be that you need to change banks. While the rules are similar everywhere, there may be one that fits your personal situation better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey