Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:02 PM

835 posts, read 1,180,902 times

Advertisements

N.J. Gov.-elect Chris Christie considers declaring financial state of emergency | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:06 PM

195 posts, read 492,060 times
Good, I hope he uses every possible tool at his disposal to knock some reality into the unions. They negotiated annual raises for 2009 and 2010 under Corzine, during a time when many in the private sector are losing their jobs or facing wage cuts. Well, that's just plain unrealistic, if not downright selfish. Perhaps if they had considered giving a hand in the past they wouldn't be facing losing a whole arm now.

http://escapefromjersey.blogspot.com/

Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 PM

259 posts, read 662,547 times
he can win the war with the CWA, but the NJEA...not so much.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:33 AM

82 posts, read 139,369 times
Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the article AND reading (and posting) comments on the site.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,172,189 times
Thanks for the link!! Did anyone notice in the article that the 45,000 state workers who were furloughed for a week were later paid for that week off??!! I didn't know that, what a bunch of BS, they got an extra week off and didn't have to work for that money so we never saved a dime. And guaranteeing no layoffs until December 2010 for the CWA Union workers? Must be nice to know you're not getting laid off when the rest of the state is sucking wind. And raises for both 2009 and 2010 to boot.

We need a revolution in this country not just at the state level but nationally speaking!!

I hope Christie can do something about the situation but he certainly inherited a huge mess. And I'm glad he's not cutting education funds, everyone always complains about the teachers and the NJEA. Sorry but my son's teachers are averaging $51K a year. That's not a hell of a lot in Bergen County, NJ. If we're gonna pick on the teachers AGAIN, because we all know it's always their fault, why don't we look at the salaries of the administrators while we're at it, that's where the money is going. Oh and while we're at it, check out your local cops' salaries, you might be surprised what they're pulling down both on the job and for retirement. Hell of a lot more than the teachers so let's stop with that old tired argument please. And no I'm not a teacher but I do support them thank you.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:17 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Thanks for the link!! Did anyone notice in the article that the 45,000 state workers who were furloughed for a week were later paid for that week off??!! I didn't know that, what a bunch of BS, they got an extra week off and didn't have to work for that money so we never saved a dime. And guaranteeing no layoffs until December 2010 for the CWA Union workers? Must be nice to know you're not getting laid off when the rest of the state is sucking wind. And raises for both 2009 and 2010 to boot.

We need a revolution in this country not just at the state level but nationally speaking!!

I hope Christie can do something about the situation but he certainly inherited a huge mess. And I'm glad he's not cutting education funds, everyone always complains about the teachers and the NJEA. Sorry but my son's teachers are averaging $51K a year. That's not a hell of a lot in Bergen County, NJ. If we're gonna pick on the teachers AGAIN, because we all know it's always their fault, why don't we look at the salaries of the administrators while we're at it, that's where the money is going. Oh and while we're at it, check out your local cops' salaries, you might be surprised what they're pulling down both on the job and for retirement. Hell of a lot more than the teachers so let's stop with that old tired argument please. And no I'm not a teacher but I do support them thank you.
So you just shifted blame from one group to another. As with the teachers your average patrol cop is making about the same as the teachers you referred to...it's the high ranking police offcials that rake in the dough. Both complaints are getting old & tiresome...bottom line is we can not have our cake & eat it too..if we want the services NJ provides we are going to pay for it.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 AM

82 posts, read 139,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post

For what it's worth (just an opinion, so not much), I agree with you on almost every score. I do, however, part company with you to some extent on the topic of teachers. A COMPETENT teacher deserves to be paid well. Unfortunately, it's been my experience that most teachers can neither articulate nor punctuate as well as you, a nurse. So when I encounter teachers grousing on an open forum, I will critically assess their respective posts and unleash snark and corrections as circumstances may warrant.

To do so is, imo, our duty to the schoolchildren of New Jersey.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2Cfan View Post
A COMPETENT teacher deserves to be paid well. Unfortunately, it's been my experience that most teachers can neither articulate nor punctuate as well as you, a nurse.
The problem is that the existing system doesn't differentiate between good and bad teachers.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
and it doesnt have to. its a very simple job. it should be standardized not unique depending on the teachers abilities.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and it doesnt have to. its a very simple job. it should be standardized not unique depending on the teachers abilities.
So you think!!! I can come up with many descriptions for a teaching job...simple would not be one of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey