Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
The only, I repeat ONLY, way suburban taxes will EVER have a CHANCE of being reduced is if state aid is shared equally among municipalities. That means eliminating Abbott and equalizing aid to ALL cities, townships, boroughs and villages in this state.
If I understand this correctly, you're basically suggesting that the solution is to take a bad redistributionist policy and turn it into a slightly different version of the same thing.

The problem with this is that you can't "equalize" aid to the other towns without either (1) spending as much state money on them as you do on Abbott districts, or (2) cutting funding to the Abbott districts.

You can't do (2) without doing something to address costs. So unless you've turned into some kind of tax and spend liberal, or you haven't thought this through very well.

Increasing "aid" creates these dark pockets of unaccountability -- it makes it less clear who is responsible for funding the system, the state or the towns ? Then you get the towns claiming they don't get enough money from the state and taxing, and also the state claiming they need to raise taxes to fund the system. And who can blame them -- if they do nothing about controlling costs, what else can they do besides keep raising taxes ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,699,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
He's a troll that takes the outlandish position on anything to get a rise. My guess is that he's a lowlife living in mom's basement with his TRS-80 and a 300k baud modem.

To actually argue the need for teachers and not being able to put together a grammatically correct statement if his life depended on it is somewhat sad.

Replying to his drivel is a waste of time.
So he has a different opinion on teachers and he is a troll living in a basement using old computer equipment? WTF?

Each person has different ideas/opinions on what is easy and hard. Not sure why people are so sensitive to teachers jobs being labeled as easy.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
So he has a different opinion on teachers and he is a troll living in a basement using old computer equipment? WTF?

Each person has different ideas/opinions on what is easy and hard. Not sure why people are so sensitive to teachers jobs being labeled as easy.

Why you ask??? Because its not exactly an informed opinion? How can you make a blanket statement like that when you have never walked the walk? Seems ignorant if you ask me. Of course most of the people who make these comments would not last 1 minute in the classroom. On the outside a lot of things seem easy. For example a pharmacist seems like a cushy job making tons of money. Is it easy? I dont know ask a pharmacist and see what they say.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:10 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

Probably a teacher

The other thing to consider is how many days a year a teacher works... what is it, 182? Compare this to the average person working for a private company... they get 2 weeks of vacation and probably 10 (generous estimate) holiday days off... That's 240 working days a year... 33% more than a teacher. A teacher is there from 8 to 4... they get lunch (45 minutes?) and at least 1 if not 2 free periods (another 50 - 90 minutes) so really only "work" about 6 1/2 hours. Most of us in the private world work 8 to 5 to get paid for 8 hours.

As for your wife doing what she does when she does... maybe she's a good one... the question is more what does she "need" to do to adequately do her job. I could work 80 hours a week if I wanted to but I don't need to do to my job. I may choose to because of some personal attributes I have but it's unnecessary and I'm going to receive little to no credit for that over abundance of expended effort.

Teaching is a good gig, being an administrator is a TERRIFIC gig. Frankly I have little issue with teachers salaries though all the gauranteed raises and crap that comes with a union drives me bonkers. The biggest issue I have, and many others here have stated, is the pension. I can't retire in 20 years with any gaurantee, hell, I can't retire in 20 years period... why are our teachers and cops doing it?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,106 times
Maybe she's a good one? What the hell is that? She is a normal teacher who bust her ass. Most teachers do this. You have no clue. Let me guess, bad teachers exist??? UM of course they do just like every career. Ask any teacher and lets see how easy everything is? What I dont get if the career is sooo great, why not do it? Again looking in from the outside make everything seem peaches and cream. Unless you have first hand information its best to keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 AM

127 posts, read 311,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Probably a teacher

The other thing to consider is how many days a year a teacher works... what is it, 182? Compare this to the average person working for a private company... they get 2 weeks of vacation and probably 10 (generous estimate) holiday days off... That's 240 working days a year... 33% more than a teacher. A teacher is there from 8 to 4... they get lunch (45 minutes?) and at least 1 if not 2 free periods (another 50 - 90 minutes) so really only "work" about 6 1/2 hours. Most of us in the private world work 8 to 5 to get paid for 8 hours.

As for your wife doing what she does when she does... maybe she's a good one... the question is more what does she "need" to do to adequately do her job. I could work 80 hours a week if I wanted to but I don't need to do to my job. I may choose to because of some personal attributes I have but it's unnecessary and I'm going to receive little to no credit for that over abundance of expended effort.

Teaching is a good gig, being an administrator is a TERRIFIC gig. Frankly I have little issue with teachers salaries though all the gauranteed raises and crap that comes with a union drives me bonkers. The biggest issue I have, and many others here have stated, is the pension. I can't retire in 20 years with any gaurantee, hell, I can't retire in 20 years period... why are our teachers and cops doing it?
Teachers also have meetings both after school and on days off, conferences, and lots of grading and administrative work to do. My roommate out of college was a 4th grade teacher and most evenings she spent an hour or two doing her own homework - grading papers. Also she would have to submit lesson plans and do other administrative work. I have a cousin who is a teacher and he also coaches two sports. He gets paid extra for it but he also works a lot of evenings and weekends for that.

So to say they only work 182 days at 6 and 1/2 hours a day is frankly just stupid and misleading. They put in 8+ hour days on average and on a lot of those days kids are not in school they are going to work still.

The only reason people whine about teachers is because they have a union and the right-wing conservatives hate unions so they focus their criticism at every union in the world and that's because conservatives are all stupid morons.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Maybe she's a good one? What the hell is that? She is a normal teacher who bust her ass. Most teachers do this. You have no clue. Let me guess, bad teachers exist??? UM of course they do just like every career. Ask any teacher and lets see how easy everything is? What I dont get if the career is sooo great, why not do it? Again looking in from the outside make everything seem peaches and cream. Unless you have first hand information its best to keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.
how many people say that they bust their ass and then get winter break, summer vacation, spring break, empty periods, etc. etc. etc. its a nice job for a wife.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 AM

127 posts, read 311,119 times
Governor Chrisite is declaring a financial emergency because he is afraid the state won't be able to make enough Taylor Ham sandwiches for his fat gut.

He should worry more about reducing waist.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Because if I had to walk a mile in every single person's shoes before I could comment on anything, or in your opinion be "informed" than I'd never be able to comment on anything but my own life, neither would anyone else. Believe it or not, there are far more ways to learn about something than by real life experience with it. In something like this, I'm guessing EVERY single member of this board has had encounters with teachers as we were likely ALL students at the very least. You didn't learn anything about your teachers than? You don't know anyone who works as a teacher now?

Things I can learn by observing... my teacher neighbor's car is there when I leave in the morning and back there before I come home in the evening, his "at work" day is shorter than mine... he doesn't work over the summer... some of my teachers took 4 days to grade tests, others had them back the next day... some of my teachers attempted to challenge every student in the class, others told me to go out in the hall and play games... some teachers were available for help after 3:30 pm, others were in their cars before I could get my book bag in my locker...

These are all things I KNOW without ever having spent 1 single day working as a teacher. I'm sure I could go on and on about what else I know but I won't at this time. I don't need to be a teacher to form opinions, there are plenty of facts available to draw conclusions upon.

As for why I don't do it? Because the income is capped. I could choose to do simple work at okay pay or I can do really hard work at tremendous pay. I made the decision to do the later. Beyond that, I pride myself on doing things well. I don't think I'd be a great teacher... not due to work ethic or anything of that nature that people tend to use to distinguish good from bad teachers (she's good because she's working at 9pm right? Maybe she's just a really slow grader? Nah, we shouldn't go there)... but more so because I have a hard time communicating my thought process to others, even intelligent educated others. I just think a different way then some at a different level than most. I couldn't break things down to an elementary level and go beyond simply explaining it, but actually teach them the steps. Teachers often leaned on me to tutor during class and I wasn't effective then, I probably wouldn't be now. So I don't do it.

If your wife is so underpaid and underappreciated... why doesn't she get a real job?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM

94 posts, read 330,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykdros View Post
governor chrisite is declaring a financial emergency because he is afraid the state won't be able to make enough taylor ham sandwiches for his fat gut.

He should worry more about reducing waist.
well put, except Christie seems more of a spam eater to me--straight from the tin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey