Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 PM

12 posts, read 35,661 times

Advertisements

I got layed off after coming home from a funeral - nice huh? I bring in the most income in our house and we just got out of paying for two mortgages and all the other expenses that come with it (taxes, insurance, utilities etc) because my other house did not sell in a market 2000 miles away. We just got rid of that terrible burden and were going to start putting money back into savings when this hit. I can't afford to make my mortgage and tax payments. I filed for unemployment but they said it would be weeks before the checks came and it is not enought to pay either of these major expenses. Do any of you have any ideas on where I can go for assistance like a food pantry? I just moved to NJ and I live in Passiac county near the Bergen county border. I can't believe this happened to me but this eceomny was a perfect storm. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
The Center for Food Action has several locations throughout Bergen and Passaic Counties. There's a location in Elmwood Park.

http://www.cfanj.org/ (http://www.cfanj.org/board-of-directors.html - broken link)

Good luck. Hopefully things will turn around for you soon.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,193 times
Lightbulb Church

Hi NJBunny,
I feel bad for you. The situation you're in must be the pits. Children? The holidays are coming soon & I'm sure this must be a concern as well.

My idea for you would be to not only check the helpful link from zhelder, but also check out your local Church(s). In my town we contribute to two Food Pantrys run by two different Churches. Also, our Church is funding Food Baskets for Thanksgiving. Just an idea. I hope everything works out for you.

There are many good people on this forum that would help you if they could.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 PM

Lightbulb Found this for you NJBunny!

Just found this website & I thought it might offer you some help.

New Hope Community Ministries - Haledon, NJ

Good luck

Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times
Why weeks for unemployment? Maybe 3 weeks the most. Check the unemployment threads for NJ on here, a lot of good info you might need. You will get your WBR whatever your determination is plus $25 /week, $50 every other week that you collect. Hopefully you will get extensions in 2010 if Congress extends them. Good Luck!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
We had to wait 3 weeks for UE when my wife lost her job. The first check included the previous 2 weeks so even tho I was late with a few payments, we were able to get caught up. Just FYI, they pay retroactive to when you filed your claim.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:43 PM

555 posts, read 1,654,212 times
Paying your mortgage should be the least of your worries... it'll be months before the banks foreclose if they ever do... from what I'm hearing, some of them practically beg you to do a short sale and give you darn near forever to do a short sale versus having to go through bankruptcy. Unemployment benefits should definitely be enough to keep food in your belly.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:20 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks. I did go here and they were terrific - they gave me a turkey and a bag of groceries. I will check out the other sites that were mentioned and the church idea as well. I don't want to go to my church since my husband's family all go there and I don't want them to know about this. Thanks again!

Old 11-26-2009, 02:24 PM

Default Edit

I meant that I went to the one mentioned in Haledon. They were terrific. My job was in NYC and that complicates the unemployment matter. I have to file through them which I did. Hopefully I can get something fast. Thanks again....

Old 11-26-2009, 06:57 PM

Talking Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbunny84 View Post
I meant that I went to the one mentioned in Haledon. They were terrific. My job was in NYC and that complicates the unemployment matter. I have to file through them which I did. Hopefully I can get something fast. Thanks again....
wow that's great news. I'm glad I found the website & I'm glad they could help you. Reading your post really cheered me up. Let me know how you are doing. Check in once in a while when you have time .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey