Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 PM

171 posts, read 416,448 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, where is it? Does it exist?

I'm writing an article about the topic and I wanted to get some opinions other than my own about this. We all have our ideas and stereotypes about North and South Jersey, but what about Central? Is there anything uniquely "Central Jersey," like Wawa is ubiquitous in South Jersey? (and yes, I know there's one in Parsippany and one in Woodbrige now (I think, or soon will be) but it's still largely a South Jersey institution)

I've also noticed that of those who say Central Jersey exists, there are differing opinions about where its borders lie. Where do you think Central Jersey ends? Is it a cluster of counties, or a less well-defined patch of land?

I'll post the article here once it's finished and published if you're interested in reading it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Central Jersey is a fairly recent concept in the public consciousness, maybe 30 or so years, thanks to the influx of northerners and retirees. Borders are not set in stone but I'd use Route 287 in Middlesex as the northern border and Ocean County as the southern border (anywhere south of Toms River being "South Jersey"). The area includes - Middlesex, parts of south Somerset, Mercer, Monmouth & Ocean. The "highlights" of Central Jersey are New Brunswick & Rutgers, Princeton, the Shore, Trenton, Great Adventure, horse farms and agriculture, the home of Bruce...plus McMansions & strip malls on the "negative" side of things.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
For those of us who have lived in Central Jersey for most of their lives this is pretty much it. You might get a few arguments from those living on the "borders" but I have to go along with this map.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
I would probably put Union county into the North Jersey section, but other than that the map looks pretty accurate.

I lived in Central Jersey for over 10 years (New Brunswick/Highland Park). I never was a big fan of the area though as I associate the region with strip malls and suburban sprawl. It's kind of "out there" with no real association to NY or Philly. I guess some people would say that's a good thing, but it seems to be a region without an identity.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM

171 posts, read 416,448 times
PDD - I tend to agree with that map as well, but Ocean County kinda throws me. It has a lot in common with South Jersey, but is equally influenced by NY and Philadelphia. But it doesn't fit with Central Jersey, either. Or does it? I grew up there and always considered it South Jersey, but spending time in Atlantic and Burlington counties has made me kinda question it. Living there, I always had the option of watching the NY channels or the Philly channels, lol

Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 PM

237 posts, read 482,605 times
I'd say Middlesex County, the Woodbridge area especially, is truly the "center" of New Jersey as it's where all of the major highways meet. So that is certainly central Jersey. I'd classify Monmouth and Mercer as central too...actually, yeah, I basically agree with the map, lol. Agree that Union County feels more northern than central though.

I think you could also make an argument for northern parts of Ocean (Pt Pleasant, Brick, Toms River) being central, but the southern part (LBI area) is definitely South Jersey all the way.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
What do you guys think of this map? lol.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 PM

225 posts, read 352,379 times
I wrote about this subject in another thread but I'd like to go more in depth with my opinions on Central Jersey. I grew up in Montgomery so I consider myself from Central Jersey. Everyone I grew up with considers themselves from Central Jersey. To people who think Central Jersey doesn't exist, here is why it does. When I tell people from North Jersey where I grew up, they think I am from South Jersey. When I tell people from South Jersey where I grew up, they think I am from North Jersey. It is kind of hard to associate with either North or South Jersey when neither one wants to associate with you. So people identify as being from Central Jersey.

Now, some people might be quick to point out that there are no borders to Central Jersey but then again there are no official borders to North and South Jersey either. If I were to put Central Jersey on a map however it would pretty much be the map that PDD posted minus Union County. Some people would include Ocean County in Central Jersey but I have relatives in Ocean County and they consider themselves South Jersey.

So what is unique about Central Jersey? First and foremost I would say that Central Jersey is the higher education capital of the state. We have Princeton and the main campus of Rutgers. Central Jersey is also unique because it has no real affiliation with New York or Philadelphia. Of course people like sports in Central Jersey but past that there is no feeling of being in the shadow of New York or Philadelphia. We don't really associate ourselves with either city let alone associate with one more closely than the other. While we may technically fall inside a metropolitan area the fact of the matter is, much of Central Jersey is way too inconvenient for commuting to New York or Philadelphia.

In the realm of sports, support for Philly and New York teams are pretty much split right down the middle. You are equally likely to see Giants and Eagles banners on front lawns. That being said there is one sport where allegiance is clear, hockey. In my experience, Central Jersey is solidly Devils country. Many people (especially in South Jersey) have a hard time accepting the fact that the Devils are a New Jersey team as opposed to a New York team but if you want to know why the Devils represent New Jersey look at Central Jersey. In the heart of the state where support for Philly and New York sports teams are evenly split Devils fans vastly outnumber Flyers and Rangers fans. I grew up knowing many more Devils fans than Rangers and Flyers fans combined.

For better or worse Central Jersey is also unique for its density. If North Jersey is urban and South Jersey is rural Central Jersey is right in the middle. Suburban sprawl is everywhere. The population of Central Jersey exploded with the rise of the mcmansion. For example, Montgomery was one of the fastest growing towns in the nation from 1990 to 2000.

All of this is based on my experience, if anyone sees it differently I would love to hear it.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Oh God, now you did it.

This is prob one of the most conversational questions ever in the history of NJ.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 PM

225 posts, read 352,379 times
It is also funny to me that the OP pointed out Wawa as being associated with South Jersey because Central Jersey has it fair share of Wawas as well. There is one in my town and I can even think of several that are north of where I live. To anyone from North Jersey, you guys are missing out, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey