Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

also, a serious question - how do you implement merit pay? how on earth can you possibly compare a teacher in a bad school in newark to a teacher in a wealthy suburb like millburn?

hate to say it, but typical christie - big on rhetoric, light on details.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
One thing at a time, T- one thing at a time. Until he gets a leash around the NJEA, you won't see any consolidation because too many $200k/year superintendents wouldn't be needed anymore.
oh! we're supposed to give him TIME? how long? I'm so conditioned at a national level that I didn't realize we need to give our elected officials the luxury of time.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
It would seem to me the opposite, for if you work, you are therefore employed. Democrats want to continue to raise the income tax. You rarely find an individual Democrat politician that wants to cut the income tax. Therefore, I would associate a political movement that seeks to confiscate more dollars from your paycheck to be the enemy of those work. Now, if you are a welfare careerist, then I would think the Democrat party would be your friend.
GOP are for cutting income tax. Unfortunately, they more often than not lack the courage to match those tax cuts with spending cuts, preferring instead to defer the burden of funding government to future generations.

Also, your analysis is a little simplistic. There are some uses of tax dollars that clearly would benefit at least some working people.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
also, a serious question - how do you implement merit pay? how on earth can you possibly compare a teacher in a bad school in newark to a teacher in a wealthy suburb like millburn?

The better question is really "how do we compare a good teacher in Newark to a bad teacher in Millburn?", since one is working hard in a tough environment, while the other skates along in a cushy spot for equal or better pay.

That said, I'd think the $$ would have to be doled out to each school district to distribute amongst its teachers, rather than having a state-wide pool that everyone is compensated from together. The latter conccept would lead to the NJEA just lavishing the funds on their cronies.

There was a story in the AJC this morning about merit-pay down here too, but I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. This seems to be something needed country-wide.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:24 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
The better question is really "how do we compare a good teacher in Newark to a bad teacher in Millburn?", since one is working hard in a tough environment, while the other skates along in a cushy spot for equal or better pay.

That said, I'd think the $$ would have to be doled out to each school district to distribute amongst its teachers, rather than having a state-wide pool that everyone is compensated from together. The latter conccept would lead to the NJEA just lavishing the funds on their cronies.

There was a story in the AJC this morning about merit-pay down here too, but I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. This seems to be something needed country-wide.
We could get rid of the closed shop and let any qualified teacher seek employment in the school system. Competition works for every other industry, why shouldn't it work for teachers? I don't see why you have to be a part of any union to teach children effectively. In a free country, all organizational memberships should be voluntary, including membership in the teachers union.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,199 times
The Republicans are the enemy of the working class people? What Kool Aid are you drinking...You are
probably a Union member who have also ruined the state in my opinion....Get on the bread line like
everyone else, the Democrats have ruined this state for far too many decades....It's disgusting, Read up
on the history of N.J. politics especially Hudson County with an open mind and you decide.....by the way,
I'm an independent.....

Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:

Good question!!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:32 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Quote:
oh! we're supposed to give him TIME? how long? I'm so conditioned at a national level that I didn't realize we need to give our elected officials the luxury of time.
You could at least wait until he officially takes office before saying he's not doing things fast enough....... just a thought.......

Old 01-14-2010, 10:34 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:

I'm so hoping he isn't yet another wind bag. I do like his choice with Bret and think had he been elected to a second term in JC he would have made an impact. Hard to clean up decades of messes in one term.

Go get em Bret!!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I'm so hoping he isn't yet another wind bag. I do like his choice with Bret and think had he been elected to a second term in JC he would have made an impact. Hard to clean up decades of messes in one term.

Go get em Bret!!

Then why all the venom for Corzine? (rhetorical question, it's off topic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey