Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:25 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times

Advertisements

I applied for my handgun and long gun permits, the fbi and state prints ok now I sit and wait for the local police department to "finish the paper work" I get the typical accuses they are busy and or it's on a LT desk etc.

They have 30 days to grant or deny me my permit they are 3 weeks over due.

Anyone else have any issues with this in NJ and how do you resolve them with out filing a lawsuit again the local twp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 01:14 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Don't feel bad, I applied for one also and mine is sitting on the desk in the local PD where I live while I have a gun strapped to me as I type. They don't make it easy for ya. If you don't own a business with LARGE sums of money or you are not in the law enforcement field don't expect to get one in NJ. I guess the police chiefs forgot about the second amendment.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:18 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,982,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I applied for my handgun and long gun permits, the fbi and state prints ok now I sit and wait for the local police department to "finish the paper work" I get the typical accuses they are busy and or it's on a LT desk etc.

Anyone else have any issues with this in NJ and how do you resolve them with out filing a lawsuit again the local twp.
Welcome to New Jersey... I'm currently waiting for an address change and hoping it doesn't take that long. The best thing to do is be a "polite pest." What town just out of curiosity? Some are better than others. You are definitely not alone though. Check out NJ Hunter as there is a whole forum devoted to obtaining the FID in New Jersey. I wouldn't go the lawsuit route just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Don't feel bad, I applied for one also and mine is sitting on the desk in the local PD where I live while I have a gun strapped to me as I type. They don't make it easy for ya. If you don't own a business with LARGE sums of money or you are not in the law enforcement field don't expect to get one in NJ. I guess the police chiefs forgot about the second amendment.
I don't think he's referring to a concealed carry permit-just an FID card. I have a question for you though JM-I would say that by and large most police officers vote Republican correct? Most Republicans support liberal firearms laws. Why then is it so hard to get a concealed carry permit in New Jersey when the Chief of Police has sole discretion?

Old 09-26-2008, 06:05 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,810 times
They may have political pressure not to grant concealed carry.

I would type up a nice letter to the police chief citing N.J.S. 2C:58-3(f). which states:

Quote:
...the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants.
Ask that they immediately process your application and if you don't hear back within a week call an attorney.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:20 AM

604 posts, read 2,915,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post

Did you include a check to your local PBA with your permit application?
Grease gets everything moving.

E

Old 09-27-2008, 12:54 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,664,563 times
Move to Florida! Kidding....you can literally walk into Walmart and by a gun. No permit needed. It is terrible down here as far as gun control. They passed a law recently that if anyone sets foot on your property they have the right to shoot you. I am scared sometimes to get lost and turn down a private road without knowing it....they can shoot me!
So do not complain....Jersey has some good tough laws!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:13 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
[quote=Blondie621;5449938].
Quote:
They passed a law recently that if anyone sets foot on your property they have the right to shoot you. I am scared sometimes to get lost and turn down a private road without knowing it....they can shoot me!
If you're referring to the "Castle Doctrine" law, you better re-read the law. I'm not sure it gave carte blanch to shoot people who venture on to your property. That's why the have laws against murder and manslaughter.

Quote:
So does the UK, tougher the NJ's and their gun crime has gone up. Go figure.

Somehow, the criminal element in NJ hasn't gotten the message about our "tough" laws. Only the law abiding have. It always seems to work that way.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:01 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Move to Florida! Kidding....you can literally walk into Walmart and by a gun. No permit needed. It is terrible down here as far as gun control. They passed a law recently that if anyone sets foot on your property they have the right to shoot you. I am scared sometimes to get lost and turn down a private road without knowing it....they can shoot me!

Do you really think anyone is going to shoot you for making a u-turn in there driveway or inadvertenly walking on their property? Its fairly obvious that anywhere in the USA, no one is gonna shoot you unless you are stealing from them or being a threat to their safety....

Moderator cut: no personal attacks

Last edited by tahiti; 09-28-2008 at 06:52 AM..

Old 09-29-2008, 06:36 PM

820 posts, read 1,203,346 times
[quote=Blondie621;5449938]Move to Florida! Kidding....you can literally walk into Walmart and by a gun. No permit needed.
end quote.

Any paperwork required?

Phone calls made?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:33 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,986,049 times
[quote=doc1;5450793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Somehow, the criminal element in NJ hasn't gotten the message about our "tough" laws. Only the law abiding have. It always seems to work that way.
Actually, violent crime in NJ peaked in 1990 when it was nearly twice what it is today . . . and the state had a million fewer people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey