Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 AM

7 posts, read 50,225 times

Advertisements

I approached the intersection of Eagle Rock and Prospect, West Orange, NJ (near Whole Foods). Exxon was on my right, Pal's Cabin on left. The intersection has a left hand turning lane with a light signaling when it's okay to turn left.

I entered the lane. Three to five cars stopped in the left hand turning lane, so when the left arrow light turned green, I proceeded to turn left. In order to do so, I had to cross the double yellow line. When I was halfway through the turn, an officer walked to the front of my car, pulling me over. I had not seen his car or him standing because his patrol car was parked across the street, with the cars stopped at the intersection blocking the view.

In all, five of us were pulled over within minutes. The officers had no cones, signs, nothing to guide/redirect the traffice flow or indicate an accident scene.

The officer stated he was not giving me a ticket for the turn, but for improper passing. What does the officer see as an improper pass? Isn't it legal to cross double yellow line to make left turn on green left turn arrow? Regardless, again, the officer said he was not giving me a ticket for the turn, but improper passing.

Is the officer saying I was obligated to wait at the accident scene with other cars? How was I supposed to know that these cars weren't just rubber necking? I didn't know officers were on the scene until I made the turn to see what was going on. I don't understand and court is in West Orange on Tues night at 6PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
That's a though one to comment on. If you go to court, and if it was me, I would, they will offer you a standard plea down to unsafe driving which is a lot of money, over $400 but zero points. Instead I would ask to have the ticket changed to obstructing traffic, explaining the situation, you weren't speeding or careless or anything, etc. That one is about $70 to $95 or so and no points, no record of it. The other "unsafe driving" option there is a record of it and you can only get that twice now.

You could also ask for a trial where the cop who wrote the ticket explains his side, etc. that's a coin toss, depending on how fair the judge is, etc.
Also the court date written on the ticket normally gets changed when you call in to plead not guilty.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:04 AM

587 posts, read 2,178,604 times
trying to understand. I get there were 5 cars in the turning lane, but what lane were you on when you turned left were you in the turning lane behind the 5 other cars? When the turning light turned green did the 5 other cars trun and you followed behind or did you go around one or more cars cause they werent turning?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:38 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
So you basically pulled into the oncoming traffic's lane and made a left from there?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,958 times
Canptne76 - Thank you for the suggestion about obstructing traffic. I will see whether that one works. I requested obstructing intersection but prosecutor claimed "The law does not allow him to do that." So I only had the unsafe driving option. You are correct that it is only available twice and per the pros. if you plead guilty again within 5 yrs state gives you mandatory 4 point penalty.

Mumra - I was in the left hand turning lane with 4-5 other cars ahead of me. I know it is legal to cross double line to turn left providing everything is safe, which it was because I was turning on a GREEN ARROW. Again, the officer stated I was not getting a ticket for the turn. This is about the officer alleging improper passing. What is improper about turning left on green arrow when other cars are rubber necking, deciding to stop, or whatever. The police had not signage, cones, etc. to indicate accident scene or direct traffic. I did not see the officer until I made the turn and he approached my car on foot from out of nowhere. I did not "go around" the other cars, because I turned left, while the line of cars remained stopped in the left hand turn lane. Everyone else had a red light. So maybe the question is if cars are rubber necking, what obligation does a driver have to ruberneck as well?

AnesthesiaMD - If you are turning at a light, you always have oncoming traffic lane, so how does the existence of an oncoming traffic lane make an improper pass? How was it improper if I turned on the green arrow? The oncoming traffic had a red light. Besides, obviously drivers are allowed to turn/pass with or without oncoming traffic stopped by red light or going on green light. What makes the turn improper if everything was safe? I checked before I turned and I had a green arrow telling me it was okay to turn. What is improper about what I did and please cite case law, statute, traffic/safety law, policy or where you obtained your information so I can defend myself on April 6. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatcheese View Post
AnesthesiaMD - If you are turning at a light, you always have oncoming traffic lane, so how does the existence of an oncoming traffic lane make an improper pass? How was it improper if I turned on the green arrow? The oncoming traffic had a red light. Besides, obviously drivers are allowed to turn/pass with or without oncoming traffic stopped by red light or going on green light. What makes the turn improper if everything was safe? I checked before I turned and I had a green arrow telling me it was okay to turn. What is improper about what I did and please cite case law, statute, traffic/safety law, policy or where you obtained your information so I can defend myself on April 6. Thanks!
I was simply asking a question because I wasn't sure if I was understanding what actually happened. If you were to cross over a double yellow line to avoid the obstruction BEFORE the intersection, the officer would have a case, because you are not supposed to cross a double yellow line unless directed by an officer. That's not case law, thats simple driver's manual stuff.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:13 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,308 times
Judging by your description it sound like you drove past the other vehicles on the wrong side of the road and then made your turn.Correct ?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,604 times
i'm confused NJWomanOver25 = goatcheese? How many accounts does one need.

I probably hate ruberneckers more than the average driver but when a traffic jam occurs such as the one you describe it would not be in your best interest to drive on the oncoming traffic lane to avoid waiting. Seems like you feel privileged and waiting shouldn't apply to you, granted the intersection you speak of really suxs during rush hour. Be a little more patient, do you drive on shoulder when you hit a major traffic jam on the gsp? You are over 25 and should already have enough common sense and etiquette to drive a little more civilized.

Here is a True scenario: several cars had stopped on the road to let a boy cross. A driver swerved around the stopped cars and attempted to pass them when the driver hit the boy. The boy died the next day at a local hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey