Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM

20 posts, read 46,553 times

Advertisements

I have lived in New York, Florida, and California, and have to say, I LOVE NJ! I visited south jersey several times over the past year, and I really thought it was pretty special. I loved the quaint towns, the farmer's stands, the blueberry fields, the proximity to major cities. I loved it so much that I will be moving here in June!

There are many people who look at me and say "Ewww, New Jersey? Why??" But, sometimes you just like a place and take a leap of faith on it. I don't know a lot about NJ, but the parts I saw were beautiful, the people were friendly, and it looked like there was plenty going on. Two thumbs up to NJ from the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default NJ, meet NJ!

I'm passionate about Nj and take no offense at derogatory remarks about the 'state' of NJ.

Easy to see how the rep was earned and not much has happened to improve it.

Johns Manville and Cyanamid are not near the airport. Hayden chemical, Grace and Hatco are not near the airport. The Hess oil tanks are not near the airport. Ken-buc dump is not near the airport.

It just took a bus to round up the last batch of Nj politicians for indictement.

Our actual and theatrical political scene is indistinguishable.

Screw the chemical factories, how about being offended by all the malls, strip malls and mini-malls along all major highways. Enough nail shops, chinese takeout and pizza palors to choke a horse. Of course a horse would be faster on a morning commute to work along any major highway.

Car dealers and gas stations every 2 blocks. Shore construction has destroyed the coast. Beach replenishment and insurance rates reflect a constant stream of public money being spent to chronically and temporarily solve lost shoreline sand. What other state spends as much on sand as NJ?

Enjoy the piles of cigarettes dumped out on the ground at every traffic light.

Newark is still Newark. Tired of all the smoke being blown up our collective skirt about how each administration has improved the the now ultra tarnished jewels that used to line the crown of NJ cities. North east NJ is not anyone's view of a shiny jewelery laden showcase.

On the other hand we can shoot a deer a day from September to February in some deer management zones during archery season. Mink, fox, eagles, coyotes and otter roam the hinterlands and city edges. Hard to believe such a state can have a bear season, as in, there are bear in NJ? NJ is a bird watchers paradise by nature of its geographical location. Bird watching has been noted as the world's the most popular outdoor activity.

Super salt water fishing and plenty of preserved land that is rarely utilized.

I canoe rivers all year long, most of the time without seeing another human.

Ken Lockwood gorge, the Flatbrook, the federal property along the upper Delaware, the oswego, wading, batsto, mullica are some gems NJ residents never see.

The gap of information between most NJ residents and out of staters is quite comparable. Nj also suffers from a lack of marketing. Unfortunately the marketing organizations which puport to promote tourism are wanting. Friends form Belgium told me the big company they came her to work for , sent them to a 'cultural consultant who, when asked for areas to hike, were told to go to the malls if they wanted to hike.

Enjoy taking foreign visitors into "Nj wilds" to see their dramatic reactions of disbelief that such beautiful places exist within the shadow of NYC.....and no one else is there.. and it is soo quiet!!!!!!

NJ doesn't know about NJ!!!!

You don't get handed a good reputation because of some legal decree, you earn it... and NJ has done little to earn a good reputation and far less to market it. The treaure that is NJ is hidden in plain view but there are few if any takers.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:30 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I don't understand why people say NJ is an Industrial wasteland? The refinery's and Industrial areas of NJ are restricted to near the Airport and Seaport in the North, and near philly in the south. They only account for 3-5% of the state. Newark isn't a dump anymore in 70% of it, crime is down development is pouring in( most small investments and businesses) South of Downtown ,Downtown , Ironbound , University Heights and north of I-280 are all great and improving parts of the city. We have alot great state parks and beaches. Our Transit Network is the largest in the Country. Jersey City & the NJ Gold Coast are great models for Urban renewal , it took 10 years built Jersey City built a skyline and integrated transit system. Sure Camden is bad still , but you can't use that as a cover to say every city in NJ is bad. The Meadowlands are often overlooked as an Industrial wasteland , but it is a protected network of Marshes and tidal flats, with trails for hiking and biking. We still have rural areas in the South & west , so we are not all Urban / Suburban. NJ is a very diverse state , even slightly more then neighboring NYC. Sure the taxes are high....not just high but the absolute highest of all 50 states but thats only if you choose to live in the Suburbs if you live in the Urban areas its less. Our Schools are the best in the nation. Our beaches are a mix of quiet hidden ones and busy family style boardwalks ones.....when theres not hospital and human waste washing up on them but unfortunately they even charge you to sit on the beach All you have to do is explore NJ more and you find all these NJ gems , sometimes all it takes is 0.5-2miles for the scenery to greatly change. It offends alot of US Passionate New Jerseyites when the same old ignorant myths and fear is said about our humble state.

You just answered your own question.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:40 PM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
You just answered your own question.
The only part of that which applies to SOUTH Jersey is being charged for beaches. North Jersey does not represent all of NJ! This is exactly why out of staters have the bad impression, because even people from NJ think it's all about the smokestacks of the north.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:00 PM

101 posts, read 460,524 times
to the OP- not sure really but I can give my perspective.

I love to drive. NJ is actually really nice to drive. Lots of parkways and highways, some real scenic routes that give the taconic and upstate NY roads a run for the money. I also love that there are almost no left hand turns on 2 lane+ roads. It may seem crazy to out of state people, but not being able to go left keeps traffic moving well. Go to most Long Island roads, and the left lane is uselss, backed up with people making lefts. I have to say its been a steep learning curve in NJ, but once you get the hand of it, and learn the rules, driving in NJ is very enjoyable.

An Example, from Montclair, I can jump on 46 in clifton, to rt 19 north(a nice little stretch), to rt 80 west - I quickly got on a fast moving road- In long Island I always felt like I had to take neverending back roads, or runs littered with lights because of all the commercial business built up on both sides of roads.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The only part of that which applies to SOUTH Jersey is being charged for beaches. North Jersey does not represent all of NJ! This is exactly why out of staters have the bad impression, because even people from NJ think it's all about the smokestacks of the north.
Your very short sighted if you thing the main issue of why New Jersey has such a negative image is smokestacks.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:50 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Because its perpetuated in the media. Even a friend of mine from Germany reacted negatively when I moved to NJ years ago, despite never having been to NJ.

But I figure, this stereotype helps keep people away from NJ -- and NJ seems already too crowded (I mean, Northern NJ). I was once among the ignorant masses who found out this was a myth/stereotype. I personally would not be opposed to moving back someday.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:03 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
I will say this, I do like that our bad rep keeps our open spaces and uncrowded areas less crowded, so ya *wink* we're full of oil refineries and landfills and nothing else

Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Some days I have the expendable energy to get upset about the gross misrepresentation of New Jersey. A state that contributes more than it gets back from the 'welfare states', enjoys a population rich in education, personal wealth, diverse experience. Other days I just laugh, sit back & enjoy my standard of living.
It depends how I'm feeling on any given, particular day of the week.

On a side note.......................... I love how these these types of threads always devolve into South Jersey overcompensation.
They see an opening to gain a (perceived) advantage & proceed to put their feelings of insecurity about The North on full display.

Last edited by openheads; 02-23-2010 at 12:12 AM..

Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So basically your theory is that everyone who leaves NJ is doing so with pockets full of cash that they're using to buy their new homes in the south. That may be the case for some retirees that have lived in their homes for 30 years and have amassed huge equity, but it's hardly the case for everyone.

For some retirees, the problem is that they can't afford to stay in NJ because the taxes are too high for their fixed incomes, and their only choice is to sell their homes and move someplace with less of a tax burden. Many other states (including many in the south) not only have lower property taxes to begin with, but also provide exemptions for seniors- a senior can leave a 50 y/o house in NJ (that requires upkeep and repairs) with $8k of property taxes, move south into a brand new home that requires little/no maintenance (and is more energy efficient), and pay only 30-40% of the already much lower taxes due to senior homestead tax reductions. There are some age-restricted communities in NJ that offer tha, but in many southern states, it's applicable to any home.

For younger folks, the allure is the ability to afford a house at all, rather than renting, or to afford a home that isn't a 50 y/o maintenance nightmare with $8k in taxes. Unless they're starting out with a nice inheritance, homeownership is tough for many young couples in NJ.
You're absolutely right.
I was just pointing out the pros of living in NJ based on the topic. People who are struggling in NJ doesn't always mean moving somewhere else is going to help the situation. My mom and I moved to Trenton and Troy NY, trying to get out of the high expenses but the salary will always be relative, and it soon starts to paint the same picture. (Florida is a prime example of this hence all of the states foreclosures)
You're right, I'm naive and I'm probably missing a chunk of reality but most people I know who left NJ, left it pretty wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey