Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'm sure it's very good, but it's overpriced and it's not the best. There are private butchers that cost less and are much better, but my local Shoprite is as good or (in my opinion) better than any whole foods' meat. Shoprites vary, so that may not always be the case; but if I were going to pay a lot for meat I'd sooner go to a good butcher.

I guess for people who have the money and don't want the bother of making a separate stop at a butcher, Whole Foods is fine; but that's the point, it's overpriced and caters to people with money to burn (because that's what people who spend money at Whole Foods do - they just burn through money they didn't need to spend). So, it's fine for people with that kind of money but for the average person it's too overpriced.
hey Im open minded and all for a butcher, who is a good one???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Near me there is B&M in Park Ridge and Karl Ehmer in Hillsdale. But Hillsdale Shoprite is better for the money when it comes to beef, even their tenderloins are great and when they're on sale you can cut several filet mignons from one loin. And filet mignon is the state food of NJ!

And, knowing your heritage, if you want to be daring and try a Lebanese/Syrian/Arabic raw beef dish, try getting some good beef trimmed and ground so that it's ultra-lean and make some kibbe nayyeh with it - basically just mixing in some bulghur wheat, finely chopped onion and parsley, salt & pepper, a little olive oil, and optionally cumin, Aleppo red pepper flake, one egg, mint, some lemon... it's very good!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:33 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post

Fairway and Corrado's in Wayne both have great butchers with reasonable prices on most items. I think Fairway's quality on most items is a littler better, but I do prefer Corrado's bracciole, both beef and pork. Better tasting and a little cheaper than Fairway's. For some reason, it has become VERY difficult to get bracciole in Northern NJ over the past few years.

Ooh, if you like Polish meats, Piast in Garfield is awesome. Great kielbasa, kielbanosy (sp?), and other stuff at dirt cheap prices. Swiss Pork Store in Fair Lawn also has some great stuff, including terrific chop meat and salami, but they're more expensive than some of the other places.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
A network ( I think ABC) just did an expose on Whole Foods' 365 organic line. They stood outside a store and pointed out to shoppers that many of the frozen fruits and vegetables are marked, in very small lettering, "product of China". They then tried to find out who oversaw the certification of organic farmers in China, and couldn't. Whole Foods would not comment.

I went to one last weekend to check it out, and found lots of vegetables, but few fruits, from China. I also saw strawberries at $4.99/quart, when the grocery store had them @ 3/$5. Snapper was $19.99lb. For those prices, somebody else better be cooking it!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Fairway and Corrado's in Wayne both have great butchers with reasonable prices on most items. I think Fairway's quality on most items is a littler better, but I do prefer Corrado's bracciole, both beef and pork. Better tasting and a little cheaper than Fairway's. For some reason, it has become VERY difficult to get bracciole in Northern NJ over the past few years.

Ooh, if you like Polish meats, Piast in Garfield is awesome. Great kielbasa, kielbanosy (sp?), and other stuff at dirt cheap prices. Swiss Pork Store in Fair Lawn also has some great stuff, including terrific chop meat and salami, but they're more expensive than some of the other places.
I concur on Corrado's and Fairway. Also, to stevemorse, since I know you know where Nouri's is, there are some good Halal butchers in that neighborhood, I would think their meat is excellent, but I don't know directly.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 PM

94 posts, read 330,646 times
Trader Joe's

Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 PM

205 posts, read 692,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNJNJ View Post
I do the majority of my shopping at Trader Joe's. I like Whole Foods as well, but could not do all of my shopping. I am lucky - I have 3 TJ's within 20 minutes of me and 1 Whole Foods
Where is this? Do you also have SuperTargets, SuperWalmarts, Costco or Sam's Club and other grocery store options?

Old 04-22-2010, 05:35 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
I have both by me, and I prefer Trader Joe's.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 PM

564 posts, read 1,722,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I concur on Corrado's and Fairway. Also, to stevemorse, since I know you know where Nouri's is, there are some good Halal butchers in that neighborhood, I would think their meat is excellent, but I don't know directly.
Sorry about my ignorance, but what is a Halal butcher?

Old 04-23-2010, 02:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
thanks BCJ!!!! I just read this. I have not been here too much. Been kind of busy. Thanks so much!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey