Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
Not sure about today..but when I visited there years ago when I was a welder doing the trade center towers... there was a great clam place there..was funny everywhere you stepped you would crush clam shells. Clams and a few beers..can't beat that after a long hard week of work. Miss those days!
That's the Hoboken Clam Broth House, and unfortunately it has closed down ... the yuppies that have taken over Hoboken don't care for clam shells on the floor kind of places, with character. They'll take Starbucks and Qdoba, LOL...the corporate chain types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
That's the Hoboken Clam Broth House, and unfortunately it has closed down ... the yuppies that have taken over Hoboken don't care for clam shells on the floor kind of places, with character. They'll take Starbucks and Qdoba, LOL...the corporate chain types.

It closed because the building was condemned, it was about to fall over. Yuppies had nothing to do with it's demise.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:27 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,439 times
Thread is veering off-topic; please wander back to the safety issue. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,605 times
Default lived @ Monroe b/t 2nd & 3rd..

2005-06, Jackson St is where the projects are located. you will hear some noise in the summers when ppl from the "hood" come outside to hang out.
they do have plain clothes cops patrolling that area. i've walked home 1am with no problems.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 PM

145 posts, read 314,707 times
Sorry to bump this thread, but I just leased an apartment on Monroe around 3rd street.

I know the housing projects are on Jackson, (and Monroe is next to Jackson), but Monroe itself seemed nice, at least in broad daylight. Heck, Jackson itself even had some pretty nice condos, including some with garages.

Should there be any legitimate safety concerns with this area? I have no idea if the majority of the crime even occurs in/near the projects, but given other cities in the country, my assumption should not seem too asinine.

Lastly, this has to do with flooding. Should I be worried at all about renting on the first floor? You have to walk up a stoop sort of thing to get into the building so I am off the ground somewhat. I don't care too much if the street gets flooded, I just don't want the actual apartment to flood.

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2014, 08:07 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,665,210 times
You should be fine with both. If you are outside after midnight be diligent but no more than you would be in any city. You'll see news articles here and there about muggings and such but they are scarce and usually happen very late at night. A friend of mine lived on that street for years, she had no problems.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
You should be fine with both. If you are outside after midnight be diligent but no more than you would be in any city. You'll see news articles here and there about muggings and such but they are scarce and usually happen very late at night. A friend of mine lived on that street for years, she had no problems.
Thanks, that's sort of what I thought.

I don't plan on walking home alone late at night. I have no problem paying for a cab ride home either should I ever be out late.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellmike View Post
Sorry to bump this thread, but I just leased an apartment on Monroe around 3rd street.

I know the housing projects are on Jackson, (and Monroe is next to Jackson), but Monroe itself seemed nice, at least in broad daylight. Heck, Jackson itself even had some pretty nice condos, including some with garages.

Should there be any legitimate safety concerns with this area? I have no idea if the majority of the crime even occurs in/near the projects, but given other cities in the country, my assumption should not seem too asinine.

Lastly, this has to do with flooding. Should I be worried at all about renting on the first floor? You have to walk up a stoop sort of thing to get into the building so I am off the ground somewhat. I don't care too much if the street gets flooded, I just don't want the actual apartment to flood.

Thanks!
Although I think you will be fine with regards to safety if you take the normal precautions you would being in any city, I do have concerns with being on the first floor in the Monroe & 3rd street area, as it is a known flood zone. This map, though woefully optimistic in noting where it floods will help, City of Hoboken, NJ » City of Hoboken – Flooding Information In reality the flooding is more widespread. This is the most recent map from FEMA that I found, Flooding | theboken.com Though I believe they are in the process of scaling back somewhat the amount of land included in the flood zones. It would be a very good idea to make sure where ever you park your car is elevated. (always be prepared to move your car to the city garages for $5 a night when ever there is a heavy storm in forecast.) And ask your neighbors in the building about how high does the flood water usually get so you can prepare for the next flood. In some bldgs, the water reaches the first floor, even if it is slightly above sidewalk level, in other bldgs, you are ok.

KoalaNJ

Old 07-06-2014, 10:00 AM

Thanks.

I'm guessing I'll be fine since I'm a little off the ground in terms of flooding. I'm not too worried about the car since I'll probably never be able to park outside my building, haha.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Honestly, I just want to make sure my apartment doesn't flood every time it rains.

I'm not worried about something like Sandy since that was very rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey