Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,965 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that my experience with New Jersey is mostly in Atlantic City and the New Jersey turnpike. BUT I have experienced many stereotypical Jersey types like those in the movies during my many trips to the State.

Sure there are many nice people in New Jersey. But I wonder why the people I meet are similar to the stereotypes in the movies. Does anyone agree with me that there is some truth to the Jersey type stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,929,319 times
There is always SOME truth to stereotypes. If that weren't the case, they wouldn't exist. You can answer your own question by hanging out down the Jersey shore this summer. LMAO-I LOVE going to the boardwalk and watching the stereotypes take human form.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:36 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have to admit that my experience with New Jersey is mostly in Atlantic City and the New Jersey turnpike. BUT I have experienced many stereotypical Jersey types like those in the movies during my many trips to the State.

Sure there are many nice people in New Jersey. But I wonder why the people I meet are similar to the stereotypes in the movies. Does anyone agree with me that there is some truth to the Jersey type stereotype.
back in the day it was always the goofy army private from brooklyn that got the laughs, as time moved on and most of brooklyn moved to NJ, NJ became the joke.
In some ways the jokes are well deserved and based in some truth, but you can always tell someone who is clueless about NJ because they think the jokes are true. Remember NJ is a whole lot more than what you see from the turnpike

Old 06-04-2007, 02:37 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
There is always SOME truth to stereotypes. If that weren't the case, they wouldn't exist. You can answer your own question by hanging out down the Jersey shore this summer. LMAO-I LOVE going to the boardwalk and watching the stereotypes take human form.
wildwood or seaside is always the best for that kind of entertainment

Old 06-04-2007, 02:43 PM

279 posts, read 1,348,357 times
The Sopranos adds to the sterotypes also...

Old 06-04-2007, 04:20 PM

114 posts, read 209,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post

Hi what kind of jersey stereotypes are we talking about

Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM

56 posts, read 250,254 times
Default any town right off the turnpike

north of 287. ICK

Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,901 times
I think it's the easy way out to just jump on the bandwagon. A lot of it is based on ignorance. But then again, most stereotypes are that way.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:07 AM

279 posts, read 1,348,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16 View Post
I think it's the easy way out to just jump on the bandwagon. A lot of it is based on ignorance. But then again, most stereotypes are that way.
Very true!

Old 06-05-2007, 08:23 AM

51 posts, read 523,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly2 View Post
north of 287. ICK
north of 287 where? 287 runs in a semi-circle from just west of staten island, northwest towards bridgewater and then north east up towards new york state.

as for the original question, some people in nj are lame and others are cool, just like in any other state. what really cracks me up is when people from places like long island make fun of nj, when the stereotypical long islander would be virtually indistinguishable from the stereotypical new jersey person to just about anyone from outside of the tri-state area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey