Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 12,172 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are looking for an apartment with a reasonable commute to both Phila and Princeton, where we will be working. I have seen similar threads, however am most interested in an area that is fun for young professionals (Downtown, bars, things to do!). We are very interested in the Yardley area for apartments, but want to find more information from you experts!

Would you take a train to center city Phila from Yardley? How long? Drive?

Are there other areas that are just as nice, but have a better location for our commutes?

Thank you so much for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 03:01 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
You may want to check out Riverton and Bordentown, NJ. They are right on the Riverline Rail Line which will give you easy access to Philadelphia and Princeton.
Riverton, NJ Borough Web Site

http://downtownbordentown.com/

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0343.pdf

Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 PM

153 posts, read 488,785 times
Bordentown is a decent option. There's the All Starz bar there which is a fun place.

Yardley is actually in Pennsylvania so maybe people on that board could give you more info on that area. I personally don't know too much about what's "over the bridge" except for Philly itself.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,845 times
riverton to princeton on the "riverline" is a long trip. You also have to get off in trenton and switch to NJ transit (and then maybe transfer again to the dinky, or the bus that is replacing it, if you are working in downtown princeton). If you are willing to do that, you might as well live in Philly and have the person take septa to trenton (an easier transfer). Also since you are going in the opposite direction of most people, the ticket will be cheaper (or it use to be). I had a buddy that worked in Trenton and lived in Philly. It was not that bad of a commute. I guess it depends if the one person is willing to have a long commute to let the other have a simple commute in order to live some where fun. If it were me and my wife (and we were that young again), and I was working in princeton, I would live in Philly for the fun.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:45 PM

I doubt the person working in Princeton would use public transit to get to work. I can't think of any public transit that would get someone there faster than by private vehicle.

Philly, on the other hand, often requires public transit. Trenton would be ideal if not for the fact that it's, well, Trenton. How about a place like Hamilton, although this is a lot better for the Princeton commuter than the Philly commuter.

Another thing - while Mercer County has many nice places to live, it's not exactly a popular area with young people, despite how many colleges are in the area. It's pretty much one club (Kat Man Du) and then a bunch of chain restaurants and such. I suppose most young people head to Philly or down I-195 to Belmar or Pt. Pleasant.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:45 PM

Thank you so much for all of the help. What do you think of Lawrenceville? The commute and the city?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander2 View Post
Thank you so much for all of the help. What do you think of Lawrenceville? The commute and the city?
Lawrenceville isn't a city. It is a small village adjacent to Princeton that has grown into a large suburb that essentially connects Princeton and Trenton. The Trenton side isn't particularly great, the Princeton side is lovely.

Nothing exciting there for young people though. No real nightlife and no public transportation so you would need to drive in each direction.

Like others, if you want fun and exciting with lots of bars, restaurants and the rest, Philly would be best. Princeton has a downtown and a few restaurants, but it is actually pretty limited in terms of nightlife considering the University is right there - the students tend to be members of supper clubs and have their own social scene.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 PM

I'm actually surprised there isn't more stuff to do in the area. I can understand Princeton students being "different," but Rider Univ and TCNJ are both nearby. Someone is missing out on an opportunity to make some money as far as nightlife goes.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 AM

Do you have any suggestions for apartments in Lawrenceville, and do you think it would be a reasonable commute from their to downtown phila?

Could you drive to the Trenton station and take that, or is their public transit nearby?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
I'm actually surprised there isn't more stuff to do in the area. I can understand Princeton students being "different," but Rider Univ and TCNJ are both nearby. Someone is missing out on an opportunity to make some money as far as nightlife goes.
The area is pretty spread out and you need cars to go anywhere, which probably cuts down on nightlife possibilities.

I think a fair number of those kids are also local.

Rider did have an issue with binge drinking. Didn't a kid or two die there?

For nightlife, New Brunswick is the best, with Rutgers right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey