Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,782,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Your going to make me have a heart attack , you make me so angry. You think Newark is a dangerous place , but yet you work there. You don't want the city to come back. You live in a sheltered city , and seem to have a enlarged ego. I have news for you Newark is coming back , get over it. You seem to be against anything that benefits people other then you.
Don't have a heart attack. Of course I want Newark to comeback for many reasons not the least of which it is a financial drain on the state. Newark coming back benefits the whole state, nothing would make me happier. Seeing things the way you want them to be doesn't make it happen. Seeing things for the way they are is the best hope for turning things around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Thats the yearly averages which are wrong anyway.....I have a few private documents that say different and ever since 1997 the Hoboken Division of NJT has shrunk due to Kearny JCT.
I can only use public data, I don't have access to your private files. Forgive me if I believe published data. It really doesn't matter anyway.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:00 PM

2,497 posts, read 4,733,780 times
I think maybe we're missing the point here. Newark itself may still have higher than average crime, but it's definitely come down alot in the past few years, and the reason is simple - times have changed. Under Booker's administration, attitudes have changed tremendously among those who live there and he has some good people working under him. Anyone who saw that Brick City documentary last year will know what I mean. I won't deny that there are still obstacles but it's still much better now than it was 10 years ago, when I was an undergrad and friends from right outside the city were telling me how awful it was beyond belief.

Newark may never be yuppietown USA like Hoboken, but it still has alot going for it. It's close to Manhattan, which will likely attract people there who are getting priced out of the city. Newark will probably have some areas that will always be poor and crime ridden (this is true in any city), but they can still be functional and sustainable - many areas of the South Bronx are like this today.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I think maybe we're missing the point here. Newark itself may still have higher than average crime, but it's definitely come down alot in the past few years, and the reason is simple - times have changed. Under Booker's administration, attitudes have changed tremendously among those who live there and he has some good people working under him. Anyone who saw that Brick City documentary last year will know what I mean. I won't deny that there are still obstacles but it's still much better now than it was 10 years ago, when I was an undergrad and friends from right outside the city were telling me how awful it was beyond belief.

Newark may never be yuppietown USA like Hoboken, but it still has alot going for it. It's close to Manhattan, which will likely attract people there who are getting priced out of the city. Newark will probably have some areas that will always be poor and crime ridden (this is true in any city), but they can still be functional and sustainable - many areas of the South Bronx are like this today.

Time will tell. I can only be skeptical because I have heard the argument you made for the last 40 years. I hope it is true this time yet I am not holding my breath.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,892,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Time will tell. I can only be skeptical because I have heard the argument you made for the last 40 years. I hope it is true this time yet I am not holding my breath.
Then quit your job and don't come to Newark. We don't want your negative opinions

Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,097,480 times
Quote:
Who has forgotten? Hoboken was a mess 40 years ago and today is one of the most affluent cities in NJ. Has Newark made such progress?

So what if Hoboken is a small city? Again it has a much greater population density than Newark. We have people shoe horned in here and manage not to kill each other on a regular basis.
The only reason Hoboken came back is the developers moved in.

What's the point of mentioning population density when your population doesn't even reach 50k? When your land area is barely a mile population density isn't something hard to achieve. You're comparing a tiny city on the water to NJ's closest thing to a big city.

Yeah you have people in Hoboken, they're called YUPPIES...and a lot of them hail from the city anyway.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,097,480 times
Quote:
Don't have a heart attack. Of course I want Newark to comeback for many reasons not the least of which it is a financial drain on the state. Newark coming back benefits the whole state, nothing would make me happier. Seeing things the way you want them to be doesn't make it happen. Seeing things for the way they are is the best hope for turning things around.
Which can be said for most of the larger cities in NJ.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:46 PM

2,497 posts, read 4,733,780 times
Quote:
Well, 40 years ago people were leaving cities in droves. 40 years ago the smoke was still clearing from the 1967 riots, no one lived in the city and few of the neighborhoods were safe. I won't deny your claim that people were trying to hype the city 40 years ago, but now that there's been a shift - with more young people drawn to urban areas - I'm beginning to think that maybe this time the change will be for real. I hope it is.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 PM

There are negative people in this thread and they are the people who can't see Newark for what it is. There were 67 murders in 2008 and everyone was pointing to that as evidence that Newark was on it's way back. What did they say when there were 77 murders in 2009? If pointing out the obvious is viewed as rooting against Newark (that Newark is dangerous) than a true revival is hopeless. The first step to addressing a problem is to admit you have one.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,838,198 times
Quote:
Hahahahah , the only in the Ironbound that annoys me are the homeless people , but there confined to the Newark Penn area. Unlike Hoboken and usually don't bother you , unlike Hoboken.

____
Yeah my friend always tells me about the homeless. (he lives there for college, and that's why I'm familiar with the area) I've seen a few around river bank park, but not as bad as DC and San Fran have it.
I just came back from SF, and I was shocked with how many homeless people (even families) I spotted.

Within NJ, Paterson takes the cake when it comes to having a lot of homeless people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey