Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM

13 posts, read 63,717 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to NJ/NY from midwest. are there any place ( area and apartment communities ) we should avoid ?
Our budget is $1600 pm. Can we get 2 BR apt ?
Thanks.
MT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
Where will you be working? Will you have a car? Do you want an urban type setting? Need more info.
To ask about apartment communities in such a huge area you have to be very specific as far as the locations you are interested in.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:33 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,716 times
i second the above...need more info. but $1600 will get you a 2 br most places in NJ.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM

13 posts, read 63,717 times
we would like to be within reasonable commute time ( either public transport or drive ) to Manhattan. We do not have a job in NJ/NY area as of now . I have a consulting job , so I can be based out of anywhere. But our main criteria is to have a decent place w. as little crime as possible. We're planning on buying a house within a year at most.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 PM

If you are interested in a suburban area you should be able to rent a place fairly easily and most of those areas are very safe in NJ. It is hard to rec just one w/o knowing more info though. Towns along the train route into NYC will tend to be more $$ overall. Take a look at a map and try to narrow this a little.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:56 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,303 times
you have so many options. It seems like you need to do a little more research on the area first. But right off the back if you want good transportation I would say stay within Essex,Union,Passaic,Bergen and Hudson County(hudson county being the easiest with transportation) however if you are really against living in a place with crime than Essex you will stay away from Newark,East Orange,Parts of Orange and Irvington. In Union (these areas are not as bad ) Elizabeth, parts of Roselle park, some parts of Plainfield and maybe some parts of Rahway. In Passaic you will want to stay away from Paterson(although Eastside park section is extremley nice), Passaic City, parts of Clifton and Prospect Park. In Bergen County there is not EXTREMLEY dangerous areas but stay away from "The Big Three" which are Hackensack,Teaneck and Englewood. And in Hudson County the majority of the areas are extremely urban and while not dangerous you just have to be careful. And truthfully anywhere in North Jersey you have to just be careful when traveling(its not like the midwest) you can be in the richest neighborhood in the USA and then cross a border and your in a very dangerous neighborhood.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM

I would classify almost any town not listed above as very safe however is that what you are basing your decision on? The more info you can provide the better.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:25 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,716 times
Not sure if there are kids in the mix here? But that would make a huge difference in NJ recommendations! The train line from NJ to NYC will take you through Newark, so right there is a dangerous part of your day! But almost everywhere along the train line west of the Oranges should be pretty ok. New Brunswick can be a little shady, but also really nice... depending on the area of town. Most of Morris County is really nice.
I have to say, I'm a little biased...I'm basically a lifelong NJ resident trying to leave. And once we leave, I'm not sure we'll even return to visit!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:51 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
mann, my recommendation is find a job first and THEN decide where to live. It's not enough to get a place with a reasonable commute to that place called Manhattan. Depending on where in the city your job is, it could be very difficult to get to from certain locations. For example, if your job is in Midtown West, you can take trains that go to Penn Station or buses to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. If your job is on the East Side, you'll want to get to Grand Central instead, which the NJ trains don't go to. So Westchester County, NY would be a better match for you than New Jersey. If you work in Lower Manhattan, you'll want to be close to the PATH trains or subways from Brooklyn.

People in the New York region have long commutes. You don't want to get an apartment in New Jersey that advertises "ONLY 30 MINUTES FROM NYC!" and think, "wow, I could be at work in 30 minutes." In 30 minutes you'll get to Penn Station on the West Side. If you land a good job on Park Avenue on the East Side, add a 25 minute walk to that (no subways will help you). So now you have an hour commute instead. Finding a place where it's as easy as possible to get to work is key!

Furthermore, I wouldn't want to guess how much rent I could afford if I didn't know what my income would be. On $1600 you can find a reasonable 2-BR in many towns. But say a job offer comes in higher than you thought. Now you can afford $2000 and get a place much closer to work in a more desirable neighborhood.

Therefore I advise, fly in for some interviews, work out the job situation, then find appropriate housing once you know where you need to commute to and how much you can or want to spend on housing.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:14 PM

202 posts, read 993,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
In 30 minutes you'll get to Penn Station on the West Side. If you land a good job on Park Avenue on the East Side, add a 25 minute walk to that (no subways will help you).
I'm not sure why people on this forum keep saying that the only way to get from Penn Station to the east side of Midtown is to walk. Do the S or 7 trains really scare you that much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey