Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 PM

7 posts, read 37,489 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 year old male working out of Englewood Cliffs, NJ. I just recently moved out here from Michigan after graduating from MSU (Go Spartans).

I was wondering what cities in New Jersey would be the best to live in with people my own age. Which ones have a good nightlife? Which ones are hip, fun, cool? Which ones have things to do on the weekend outdoors?

I have been told Hoboken or New Brunswick.

Please provide reasons why, pros/cons, as well as price ranges. I really appreciate it!

Last edited by JohnnyEarlP; 04-07-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM

Anyone?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,347 times
Well, Jersey City is like a borough of NYC thanks to the PATH. You can't beat that. It's not cheap, but less than Hoboken. You could probably find a place for $1000 or a little bit more if you're not too picky.

It's a real city so there's lots going on. The con would be the crime rate, but that probably depends on the neighborhood. Try the Hamilton Park, Grove St, Harsimus Cove, and Journal Sq areas - they're all close to PATH stations and quite desirable without the pricey modernity of the waterfront areas. Jersey Heights will be cheaper but not as central.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 PM

I think I have a buddy who would be my roomie. Was that a 2BR price?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,347 times
Nope. You'd be lucky to find a 1-BR in a good neighborhood in JC for $1000. Check Craigslist but be careful about the neighborhood.

Here's a map. The nabes I mentioned are in Journal Sq & Historic Downtown on this map. Maps - Jersey City

Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyEarlP View Post
I think I have a buddy who would be my roomie. Was that a 2BR price?
12-14 would do a decent 2 br in Jersey City. Hoboken gets a bit crazy on the rent.

Your only real options are Jersey City and Hoboken. Montclair is an option, but its really not a city (but there is some nightlife in the immediate area).

Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 AM

What are average 2BR prices in Hoboken?

RIght now I am in Hackensack but it sucks (in relation to fun and people my age)

Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,859 times
Go to Queens or Brooklyn instead. You'll be in NYC all the time and use Subways. Path does not run after certain time at night. You will get stuck in NYC if staying out too late. Take a cab ride instead, prepared to be rejected and if you do get a cab driver willing to drive to NJ, prepare to pay $50+

NYC is where you want to be, in NY

Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 AM

13 posts, read 44,411 times
Brunswick has the college scene, and hoboken has the bar/club scene...

Brunswick will be significantly cheaper than hoboken, but a bit younger age (college age, as opposed to post college and up in hoboken) If i were you, i'd stay in hackensack and travel to those places when you want to party.

Google maps has real estate on it now, under the 'more' tab...I've found that pretty good for looking at the prices in the area...

Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 AM

252 posts, read 456,121 times
I disagree with #8’s advice.

If you work in Englewood Cliffs, stay on the New Jersey side of the river. Travelling from Brooklyn or Queens to Englewood Cliffs involves navigating across Manhattan through multiple bridges & tunnels – a truly horrible commute.

The PATH runs 24/7, as do several bus lines connecting Manhattan and New Jersey. So if you live in parts of New Jersey having the 24/7 Manhattan connection (Hoboken, Jersey City, Weehawken, Union City), you can get home at 3am using public transportation. You won’t be stuck in Manhattan or need to pay for a cab to get home. PATH & NJ Transit schedules are easily available on the Internet, so I don’t know why people occasionally state that these systems stop running at certain times. I regularly ride the PATH and bus from Manhattan to New Jersey during late night hours.

Hoboken should be at the top of your list unless cost is the top priority. The other 3 New Jersey places I mentioned are cheaper but less convenient to nightlife. New Brunswick meets your nightlife requirement, but it is too far from Englewood Cliffs.

If you fashion yourself as a hipster, then you’ll need to get used to the fact that from the perspective of the New York City’s self-styled hipster community New Jersey in an inferior address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey