Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
A show about NJ Italians and Italian NJ lifestyles...

except the entire cast is from NY
the casting call is in NY
some of them aren't even Italian
most Italian's and NJ residents are embarrassed by these people and their life styles.
The people in the first show were not particularly italian.

Snooki is peruvian
Jenny is Irish and Spanish

Another poster mentioned that only one was from NJ it was actually two. Mike is from Manalapan (not sure where he gets the accent then) and the one girls whose name I forgot is from Hazlet.

I personally could care less about the show, except I think it should have been called Real World : Jersey Shore edition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 12:17 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Snooki is peruvian
That is incorrect, Snooki (Nicole Polizzi) is half Italian and half Chilean.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 PM

153 posts, read 488,729 times
Yeah, Polizzi sounds like an Italian name.

Eh, whatever. People should watch the show if they like, not watch if they don't. Getting bent out of shape over a TV show is just silly. I don't particularly care if somebody in Idaho thinks I talk like the guys on Goodfellas.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:34 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
That is incorrect, Snooki (Nicole Polizzi) is half Italian and half Chilean.
Ooops, thanks!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The people in the first show were not particularly italian.

Snooki is peruvian
Jenny is Irish and Spanish

Another poster mentioned that only one was from NJ it was actually two. Mike is from Manalapan (not sure where he gets the accent then) and the one girls whose name I forgot is from Hazlet.

I personally could care less about the show, except I think it should have been called Real World : Jersey Shore edition.
Wrong, Mike the Situation is from Staten Island, NY.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
You know, I never really got why Italians and various people from New Jersey (both locals and bennies) have their panties in a bunch about this show to begin with. Having lived here all my life, I would say that Jersey Shore is a pretty accurate depiction of the bar/club scene from Memorial Day to Labor Day. These types flood all of the local nightlife places and what they do on the show is pretty much what they do in reality.

MTV never said any of these people were from New Jersey - in fact, in the first episode they put it right on the screen where all the cast members lived and grew up. The show is about people visiting the Jersey Shore during the summer, and I would say that in Seaside, there are plenty of visitors who look and act just like those on the show. When I worked at a newspaper, one of our reporters was from Staten Island and he and his friends got a "shore house" for the summer. Whenever I hung out with he and his friends, it was pretty much identical to the house on the show.

And this is all coming from a lifelong Shore local. I don't see any problem with it whatsoever. The rest of the country is now seeing what we have to deal with every summer.
But that's not really the point. The show may be an accurate depiction of what SEASIDE HEIGHTS is like in the summer, but not the entire Jersey Shore!! For hundreds of thousands (millions?), of real NJ people who enjoy the real NJ shore, in places like LBI, Stone Harbor, Cape May, Spring lake -- the term "Jersey Shore" is tarnished, because that is the name of this show. The phrase "Jersey Shore", much like NJ in general, is now a punchline.

The shore is the gem of our state, and it too has been brutalized and mocked, in untrue fashion no less.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I thought so too but apparently he just lives there now. He graduated from HS in Manalapan.

On another note, I thought the cast from the first season was coming back, why are they doing a casting call?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
No one's saying that it's not an accurate representation of what Seaside is like in the summer. But people in NJ know that most of the cast of Jersey Shore (and a lot of the people actually at Seaside in the summer) are from NY. The rest of the country probably doesn't, thus creating (well really enhancing) the stereotype of the Jersey Guido. Yes, they said where they were from in the beginning, but it didn't really come up much in the show, so someone who just watched it once or twice probably wouldn't know that, but they'd still have enough time to see the ridiculous antics of the people on the show. The only time I remember it coming up was one of the fights that Ronnie got in after a "local" was heckling him for being from NY...so yeah, sometimes the New Jerseyans are just as bad as the New Yorker's.

But an even worse depiction of NJ is in that new show about the hair salon place. Those people actually are from NJ and they're probably even worse than the cast of Jersey Shore. If it was on MTV it'd probably create an even worse stereotype than Jersey Shore did. And I think it's only in Central Jersey...

If this is true, and the cast is from NY, then they really do have to change the name. How about "Miami Beach" and see how they like it.
Lol, yeah Jerseylicious is the name of the hair salon show. It is worse than Jersey Shore.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
and manalapan.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I thought so too but apparently he just lives there now. He graduated from HS in Manalapan.

On another note, I thought the cast from the first season was coming back, why are they doing a casting call?
With that accent, I'd bet that he grew up in SI, went to HS in Manalapan, and moved back to SI. Maybe he's got divorced parents?

People from Manalapan don't have that accent (except the ones who move there from SI and Brooklyn, which IS a big portion of that town's residents!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey