Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 58,722 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

After going through lot of threads and also looking at some of the properties at South Brunswick and Plainsboro, wanted to know opinion about this two towns. Bestplaces rate both time same in terms of safety and school wise both seems to be same, unless someone have different opinion.

We visited plainsboro villege center recently and not sure if that is good neighbourhood with shops around. Considering that my choice is going to South Brunswick, specifically Deans / Dayton area.

Would like to hear opinions of others as well about plainsboro.

- TSH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 11,590 times
Plainsboro goes to West Windsor-Plainsboro High School, a much better school than South Brunswick High School. WW-P HS is usually ranked in the top 10 high schools in the state, whereas SB might be closer to 50 or 100. For this reason alone, you might want to pick Plainsboro over SB.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:31 AM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,296,899 times
South Brunswick has a brand new high school, so new so shine and many Orchestra Festival went there. Last time, I saw all including Plainsboro-West Windsor one ...

West Windsor-Plainsboro High ranked high was because the area more expensive and more matured families moved there, NOT that all these students in high school were educated there! I mean in the school district.

For example, my relative moved over there, he is professor of Rutgers Univ, and his kids were alwasy top in NJ State competition, and after they bought a house at West Windsor, and you know the honors automatically became West Windsor, so unfair ...

In other words, if your kids are not that competitive, going there may not help them ...

Old 06-15-2007, 01:59 AM
ehs

Comparing to Edison, both schools are behind ...

For example, Middlesex County Academy at Edison Middlesex County Academy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia won #1 in Physics Science League competition this year

Plainsboro-West Windsor North #11
Plainsboro-West Windsor South #9
South Brunswick High #31

Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 AM
ehs

For Biology Science League Competition

Middlesex County Academy at Edison #5
Plainsboro-West Windsor North #21
Plainsboro-West Windsor South #15
South Brunswick High #36

Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 AM
ehs

For Chemistry Science League Competition

JP Stevens at Edison #1 <-------- wow! what a surprise!!! someone said JP Stevens no good in other thread?

Plainsboro-West Windsor North #13
Plainsboro-West Windsor South #12
South Brunswick High #24

Old 06-15-2007, 06:46 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
For Chemistry Science League Competition

JP Stevens at Edison #1 <-------- wow! what a surprise!!! someone said JP Stevens no good in other thread?

Plainsboro-West Windsor North #13
Plainsboro-West Windsor South #12
South Brunswick High #24
your views are too narrow in context. I just repeated what NJ monthly ranked stevens at, and they used a much broader parameters to come to their conclusions. So it wasn't my opinion I as just passing along their assessment

Old 06-15-2007, 10:40 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
your views are too narrow in context. I just repeated what NJ monthly ranked stevens at, and they used a much broader parameters to come to their conclusions. So it wasn't my opinion I as just passing along their assessment
In fact, I appreciate your sharing info, and NJ Monthly does have some good info.

But, if my kid going to be medical doctor and need to have good Chemistry training and background before going to college, there is NO reason not to choose JP Steven High ... Did you realize, not just the team got #1, both #1 and #2 students in Chemistry competition are in JP Stevens this year.

If my kid going to be CEO and need good business plan training to start with, there is no reason not to choose Piscataway High since my brother-in-law's son got #1 on FBLA NJ Business Plan competition. Without good faculty, you can NOT get that achievement. In fact, the business teachers at Piscataway High were very active in FBLA ...

Some ranking look at things like SAT average, but my brother-in-law's kid got full score on SAT that both Harvard Univ and Cornell Univ already invited him to apply, and his SAT II on Biology, Chemistry are also close to full score. So, that implies Piscataway school district has good teachers and environment for any kid want to achieve the highest be able to. Why? because his kid went to school from K to High school all at Piscataway.

Unlike many so-called good school district, their good students were trained by other school district and because family bought a bigger house to move up and take over these good trained students into their high school. This can be easily verified by number of 9th grade student and 12th grade students ...

This year, many excellient 8th grade students at Piscataway decided to go to Piscataway High instead of moving to other top ranked school district, so you are going to see next year competition Piscataway are going to keep move up ... This maybe because Piscataway big houses are more affordable.

But, don't get me wrong, both South Brunswick and Plainsboro have their advantage and edges. They are also good school districts ...

Old 06-17-2007, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 58,722 times
All, thanks a lot for your reply. I am still considering my all possible options, so thank you for your insight.

- TSH

Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 PM

113 posts, read 770,488 times
Default new to plainsboro

Hello TSH. I just moved to Plainsboro a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure where you are moving from, but I moved from Queens, NY, and it is a world of a difference for me. From my standpoint, Plainsboro offers everything I could want for my family and more... good schools, clean environment, friendly people, nice & quiet neighborhood. Though I have a lot of city mouse vs. country mouse moments, it's been a lot of fun discovering everything else that Plainsboro has to offer. For one, there are so many pick-your-own farms within a 5-miles radius. Princeton is also a few minutes away by car. I take the Princeton-Junction train to commute to Manhattan on some days, but I have someone drop me off since the parking is bad at the station. As far as dining goes, Plainsboro has very little to offer, so I find myself going out to Princeton or South Brunswick-- but then again, I've only been here a couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll find some spots later. I think that would be the good thing about South Brunswick if you are considering it. It definitely looks more lively, in terms of dining & shopping selection. But I find that when I am in South Brunswick, the thing I look forward to is going home to Plainsboro. So in a nutshell, if you want a nice place to "live"-- choose Plainsboro. It's such a small town that you can just drive a few minutes outside of it to fulfill your dining & shopping needs.

Good luck to you, in whatever you choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: