Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,972 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 2 and diagnosed with autism. We want to send her to a private autism school like Alpine, IEA, Reed or Garden Academy. Which school districts are most likely to send her to one of those private schools? We will move there! I know Ridgewood sends kids -- but what about towns like Midland Park? Waldwick? etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
waldwick is great. my wife worked for them as a contractor after school. they sent the kids to david gregory, but maybe you can try for alpine.

i dont know about midland park - (where i live)

Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,792 times
I have heard Fair Lawn is very accomodating and ask very little questions. People move there just to get the special accomodations.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:17 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,229 times
All those schools have a waiting list and you need to apply. Towns sending kids to those schools include Westwood, Closter, and Alpine. You can go to those schools from any district, but they might start you at another school. My son is currently going to Sullivan Center in Washington Township, however next year he is going to the Valley Program in Harrington Park.

Last edited by Kevin1975; 05-27-2010 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-14-2010, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 18,903 times
I have been searching this board about which school is good with special need education in Bergen county, and came about this thread. My son has mild ASD, and currently in a private SN school in the city for pre K. We want to move to Bergen county next year after he finishes his preK, so we need to narrow our search to which school has the best service. The towns we are looking at are Closter, Demarest, Cresskill, Tenafly and Leonia. Please give me some input if you have some experience with these towns!! Thank you so much!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:06 PM

111 posts, read 431,728 times
My son had mild pdd nos since he was 2 1/2 years old. He is 7 1/2 now and after alot of work and money he only has a dx of adhd and some speech delay. He is filly mainstremed since he was 4 with supporting services.

During our struggles and triumphs we also looked into moving to NJ and I did allot of research regarding autism programs. For the most part I received favorable information for the following disctricts.

Ridgewood
Demarest
Closter
Summit
Chatham
New Providence

If your goal is to have your son out district the following is a good option. But keep in mind all districts will fight this at first until all options are exhasted.

I live in Long Island and we have allot of good school districts as well, if you ever need info on our school districts, just private message me.

Good Luck
Good Luck.

Tenafly

Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 18,903 times
Thank you so much!! We have been looking mainly at Closter and Demarest. It is great! I heard good thing about Closter from few people. We actually would love to mainstream him if it works out, otherwise we will try to fight for other options. So just I want to clarify that the school district will pay for a private school if we can't find a good fit for him in the district, is that correct?

Old 10-25-2013, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,997 times
Okay. I am asking as this thread is a few years old. What counties and cities are the best in New Jersey for Autism? We live in Tennessee and it is horrible here. My son is high functioning, ADHD, and also dyslexic. He is currently in the 4th grade. He was in regular school, but I have him in a virtual school now. I quit my teaching job to do this. But we cannot continue. I also have a typical 3rd grader and kindergartener.HELP....

Old 10-26-2013, 06:19 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,229 times
Bergen County has excellent special needs programs. Most of the better regarded programs are in the northern part of Bergen.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:06 PM

11 posts, read 13,904 times
Default New bridges Bergen county special services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
Bergen County has excellent special needs programs. Most of the better regarded programs are in the northern part of Bergen.
Dear Team,
we recently moved from India to westwood. My child is 11 yrs and studied in west wood school district 5th grade ...He is diagnosed with ASD.After evaluation,the school recommends for an out of district program in bergen special service school district. The school name is new bridges for 6th grade.whats are your thoughts about new bridges school. the child lags communication and language delay...

what are my options after 12th grade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey