Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
If Martinez wins, I will have to say I will be surprised, albiet, pleasantly so. I used to think New Mexico was a 'swing state' when I first moved here, but after 5 years, I have to conclude that on the whole, it's deep blue. The eastern counties that border Texas are the only exception.
Pretty ignorant there. New Mexico is still a swing state.

Plenty of redness throughout the state, with Catron county (nowhere near the Texas border) being the reddest.

Denish has yet to put on the charm (maybe she doesn't have any; I don't know), and Big Bill hasn't done her any favors.

Since democrats have nothing to gain this election cycle as far as party loyalty, it'll be challenging to get them to turn out anywhere near as well as the presidential election.

I get the distinct impression Denish has a thicker layer of teflon than Martinez.

When the mud starts flying to the point that your TV shows nothing but campaign ads (apparently even if you turn it off) and your phone doesn't stop ringing off the hook with someone who doesn't mind stealing your time with a computer in order to influence your vote, I think most of us would rather vote for a cocker spaniel than either of the two candidates. At least the spaniel won't deny anything or blame anyone else when it poops on the rug.

Blue vs. red? It can go, and has gone, either way. And it's often been close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
I would love to fly in a tax-payer paid luxury jet!!! Ah well....

YouTube - "Jet"

Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Pretty ignorant there. New Mexico is still a swing state.

Plenty of redness throughout the state, with Catron county (nowhere near the Texas border) being the reddest.

Denish has yet to put on the charm (maybe she doesn't have any; I don't know), and Big Bill hasn't done her any favors.

Since democrats have nothing to gain this election cycle as far as party loyalty, it'll be challenging to get them to turn out anywhere near as well as the presidential election.

I get the distinct impression Denish has a thicker layer of teflon than Martinez.

When the mud starts flying to the point that your TV shows nothing but campaign ads (apparently even if you turn it off) and your phone doesn't stop ringing off the hook with someone who doesn't mind stealing your time with a computer in order to influence your vote, I think most of us would rather vote for a cocker spaniel than either of the two candidates. At least the spaniel won't deny anything or blame anyone else when it poops on the rug.

Blue vs. red? It can go, and has gone, either way. And it's often been close.
You mention Catron County, but it has, what, about 4000 people in it? If the county goes 70% Republican, you are still looking at a plurality of about +1600 votes? I tend to analyze the counties or areas with the highest number of people. To that end, I look at Bernalillo County, which in my estimation, has been trending increasingly blue over the past 10-15 years. Additionally, my county, Dona Ana, I consider to be mildly blue, about 55% (and growing) of people here believe in higher taxes on the rich, etc.

If you consider the overall voting trends, they are going Democratic. The Republicans have been wiped out, state wide, over the last 2 election cycles. I think there is also a correlation between these numbers and the demographics that suggest an increasing % of residents are Hispanic, and transfers from Democrat bastions in California or the east coast. These same factors should also be considered in Texas, where Rick Perry is having trouble in his re-election campaign. Just like New Mexico, more Hispanics, combined with people fleeing the coasts are re-aligning that state to the point where it will be blue in the next 10 years. I don't say this happily, either, since I would consider myself to be a conservative, but also, a realist.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
If Martinez wins, I will have to say I will be surprised, albiet, pleasantly so. I used to think New Mexico was a 'swing state' when I first moved here, but after 5 years, I have to conclude that on the whole, it's deep blue. The eastern counties that border Texas are the only exception.
Along with San Juan County (Farmington/Aztec)....McCain, 60%, Obama 39%.

There were other counties that don't border Texas, too, that went for McCain....Torrance, Sierra, Chaves, Lincoln, Harding, DeBaca, Catron, etc.

Local and National Election Results - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

San Juan was the only northern county to do so.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 08-30-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 02:37 PM

Well that was mcCain, we are talking about A latina Republican... that alot more people support.

Those numbers in Northern New Mexico will be too close to call.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,383 times
Before you Martinez supporters start partying a little too early.
Remember Dewey, in the 1948 Presidential election, was heavily favored to beat Harry Truman.

Steve

Old 08-30-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Before you Martinez supporters start partying a little too early.
Remember Dewey, in the 1948 Presidential election, was heavily favored to beat Harry Truman.

Steve
Alright, before you get too excited... that was 1948. This is 2010.

Times have changed. Big time, the technology now a days is far more complex.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Well that was mcCain, we are talking about A latina Republican... that alot more people support.

Those numbers in Northern New Mexico will be too close to call.
You may well be right, Bradly....we shall see!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You may well be right, Bradly....we shall see!
I went to my little hometown up north last week.........

Susana signs EVERYWHERE! In my neighborhood it was Denish, Martinez, Denish, Martinez... every other house.. pretty cool.

Rio Arriba, will be 7,000 for Susana... 9,000 for Denish. CLOSE!!
Taos, 5,000 for susana.. 8,000 for Denish. Those are just my little predictions.

In those counties, that would be the closest a Republican ever would come to a democrat.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I went to my little hometown up north last week.........

Susana signs EVERYWHERE! In my neighborhood it was Denish, Martinez, Denish, Martinez... every other house.. pretty cool.

Actions speak louder than bumper stickers

Speaking of which, more people are beginning to show up at Denish rallies and meet and greets and what have you. The race is just yet beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico