Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:28 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,746,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Lets see... she is like a supervisor or chair of a bunch of worthless cabinets.

Oh yea, she actually was the governor for awhile while richardson was out. Was she any better? nope.

She shows her face only for the legislature.. and what was she supposed to do? Umm report it! For the sake of representing New Mexicans you better make sure you put people first.
Face it. It's a figurehead position, unless the governor resigns, is removed, or dies. A lieutenant governor does not set policy, nor should she. She was not selected by Bill RIchardson as a running mate. She was elected independently. Martinez is trying to blame Denish for 8 years of Richardson. I think we are better off sticking to issues, which your arguments have been very light on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 04:02 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,012,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And just how is she doing that exactly? Since you clearly have the 'inside track' surely you can enlighten us.
By being a district attorney, who's side do you think she is on?. if you are looking to be "enlightened" sorry you're not going to get that.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Face it. It's a figurehead position, unless the governor resigns, is removed, or dies. A lieutenant governor does not set policy, nor should she. She was not selected by Bill RIchardson as a running mate. She was elected independently. Martinez is trying to blame Denish for 8 years of Richardson. I think we are better off sticking to issues, which your arguments have been very light on.

Well, if you did you're history you would know that Denish ran unsuccessful with Martin Chavez four years before that.

She just got lucky to have that spot. With NO experience. yea right.
And it is a pointless possition.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:13 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,103,645 times
Quote:
By being a district attorney, who's side do you think she is on?. if you are looking to be "enlightened" sorry you're not going to get that.
I don't think either of the candidates are anti-family. In fact, i'd say all politicians tend to be pro-family, owing to the fact that most have families themselves... "Fighting for families" is nothing more than a catch phrase, in my opinion. I don't care if your the DA or farmer Joe, they both "fight for families." Farmer Joe puts potatoes on the table for families to eat, DA might put criminals in jail. I'd much rather hear what she's proposing to do. I don't care about slogans.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:34 PM

I never said that Diane hates or is ANTI family. But how dare her go on an ad and say "she is the one who fights for families" hello?!? you're running opponent is a DA!!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 05:19 PM

25,867 posts, read 20,804,252 times
Quote:
Being a district attorney, I believe that she is working for the criminal legal system. She is not working in the family legal system. If, however, you are suggesting that she is working for her own family, given the ongoing accusations of conflict of interest between her office and her husband's, you are probably correct.
Oh well. I remain in the dark regarding reasons to vote for Mrs. Martinez.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:46 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,103,645 times
Quote:
I never said that Diane hates or is ANTI family. But how dare her go on an ad and say "she is the one who fights for families" hello?!? you're running opponent is a DA!!!!
She has actively fought for families already up in Santa Fe. She expanded health care for children and expanded pre-k. Those are both things that have positively impacted parents that I know. She has a right to state that in her ad, and she backs it up. She's allowed to show off her credentials for the office. DAs aren't the only people in the United States or elsewhere that are allowed to fight for families, or anyone else for that matter. August is an important month for an election so we can expect to hear Denish rebut Martinez and vice versa; this is one of those cases. Martinez believes that she is the candidate that fights most for families so Denish is naturally going to state why he believes she is a better fit for that category. Just a part of the game.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 AM

4,924 posts, read 4,889,239 times
Quote:
Being a district attorney, I believe that she is working for the criminal legal system. She is not working in the family legal system. If, however, you are suggesting that she is working for her own family, given the ongoing accusations of conflict of interest between her office and her husband's, you are probably correct.
Oh well. I remain in the dark regarding reasons to vote for Mrs. Martinez.
DAs generally enforce family law, as well as criminal law (which also includes violations of family law such as protection orders, failure to pay child support, etc.).

What is your basis for the conflict allegation? Is it because Martinez' husband is an undersheriff in Dona Ana county? If so, have there been a rash of convictions overturned because of this so-called conflict?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 AM

4,924 posts, read 4,889,239 times
Quote:
Well, I guess it helps to have first-hand experience of corruption in order to 'fight' it.

It will be interesting to see how long this story stays in the news. Of course they dumped it on a Friday, the traditional day for running stories that the 'powers-that-be' hope don't get noticed by too many people. Clearly Madam DA has friends in the right places.

I also find it really interesting how many people are defending her - imagine the outcry if this behavior had been attributed to Lt. Gov. Denish or any other Democrat for that matter.
The hypocrisy is boundless.
Since Martinez and the vendor made all required disclosures and the state AG office had no problem at the time, how exactly is this corruption? I have a problem when an asst AG comes out 4-5 years later, coincidentally during an election, and says he now has a problem.

You forgot to mention, though, that Denish personally benefitted, through her husband, when his firm sold the state a chunk of property at Paseo and I-25 for a substantially greater amount than they had purchased the property for from the state.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 AM

25,867 posts, read 20,804,252 times
From yesterday's ABQ journal:

"An investigative report in today’s Albuquerque Journal revealed that Susana Martinez used federal Southwest Border Prosecution Initiative funds to give hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonuses to top deputies and political allies, nearly three-times as much in bonuses (more than $477,000 between FY06-FY10) as any other District Attorney in the state. During the same period of time that she handed out large taxpayer-funded bonuses in FY06, Martinez advocated for a tax increase on Dona Ana County residents to pay for public safety."

Statement from Diane Denish on Susana Martinez's Wall Street-Style Bonuses for State Employees | Democratic Party of New Mexico (DPNM)

But of course, it was all justified
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico