Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 AM

9,376 posts, read 20,814,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Susana looked nervous debating in the primaries and her voice was shaking. Diane has challenged Susana to eight debates, so far Susana has agreed to only one. It will be substance (Diane) against talking points (Susana).
But really I wonder if it will matter who wins. Does anything get done in Santa Fe?
It will be food stamps/welfare/section 8 vs individual liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,426,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
And I want proof that she has challenged her to 8 and only agreed to one. Cause from a news confrence I was at, it was the other way around.
Here you go:

Denish Campaign Proposes 8 Gubernatorial Debates

quote:
"The first debate, hosted by Albuquerque Public Schools on August 19, has been agreed to by both campaigns. However, the Denish campaign has repeatedly contacted the Martinez campaign to discuss the release of a full debate schedule, but the Martinez campaign has thus far declined to agree to a schedule of debates. The Denish campaign first approached the Martinez campaign about debates on June 2, the morning after the primary."

Old 08-05-2010, 02:59 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,728,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
It will be food stamps/welfare/section 8 vs individual liberty.
Individual liberties when it comes to mainstream standards, maybe. When it comes to sexual orientation and reproductive choices, not so much.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:22 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Individual liberties when it comes to mainstream standards, maybe. When it comes to sexual orientation and reproductive choices, not so much.
Sexual orientation is not an issue unless someone gets in your face about it.

It's also not an issue until someone demands special protections and privileges due to their orientation. All this "hate" crime legislation is ridiculous.

Reproductive choice, fine--just don't ask the taxpayers to pay for it.

Also don't ask the taxpayers to pay for all of your kids.

All of the above is when the problems come in.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:19 PM

9,376 posts, read 20,814,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
These are not gubenatorial functions, though. You mention reproductive choice: that became federal after 1973. What Martinez or Denish thinks about reproductive freedoms is not relevant to the scope of powers that a governor possesses. I've read a lot of your posts Domino, and you are very intelligent. You know this, you have to know it.

Furthermore, when it comes to sexual orientation, I don't think Martinez would care much if a gay couple copulated in the privacy of their own bedroom. I certainly could care less. Furthermore, what could she do about it? She's not writing legislation, or proposing legislation to ban such practices. I think we all want to be left alone, to pursue our own separate interests. That's what my notion of individual liberty is about. The opposite of this is when legislators raise my taxes, and the dependency class, by extension. That involves the indirect transfer of my labor to someone who is not deserving of it. It's pretty much the mantra of the hard left these days. The names are interchangable: Denish, Richardson, etc, but the message is clear. These people want to tax productive citizens and make it easier for unproductive people to stay that way. I want no part of it.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,991,303 times
Quote:
Here you go:

Denish Campaign Proposes 8 Gubernatorial Debates

quote:
"The first debate, hosted by Albuquerque Public Schools on August 19, has been agreed to by both campaigns. However, the Denish campaign has repeatedly contacted the Martinez campaign to discuss the release of a full debate schedule, but the Martinez campaign has thus far declined to agree to a schedule of debates. The Denish campaign first approached the Martinez campaign about debates on June 2, the morning after the primary."

Which is funny. Because remember Susana wanted to call a truce to all the bashing between the two that denish started? Denish refused to, now she is saying on her commercial that "her oppenent" keeps attacking. Thats a lie.

Anyway good one. But on her (martinez) website it says different.

Denish is not going to impress anyone.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:36 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,099,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

It's also not an issue until someone demands special protections and privileges due to their orientation. All this "hate" crime legislation is ridiculous.
What special protections and privileges? Just want the same as everyone else has. Nothing special, just something with equal value. SO, it's not more... It's equal.

As far as legislating, they may not care if same-sex couples "copulate," (which they DO care), but they sure don't want there to be same-sex marriage or even something lesser such as domestic partnership. I do know that Diane Denish is for Domestic Partnership legislation and Martinez is against(New Mexico Independent). As such, no matter who wins, they will see legislation on this matter. Only difference is Denish has stood for same-sex couples and Martinez has stood in their way.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:43 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,728,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
These are not gubenatorial functions, though. You mention reproductive choice: that became federal after 1973. What Martinez or Denish thinks about reproductive freedoms is not relevant to the scope of powers that a governor possesses. I've read a lot of your posts Domino, and you are very intelligent. You know this, you have to know it.

Furthermore, when it comes to sexual orientation, I don't think Martinez would care much if a gay couple copulated in the privacy of their own bedroom. I certainly could care less. Furthermore, what could she do about it? She's not writing legislation, or proposing legislation to ban such practices. I think we all want to be left alone, to pursue our own separate interests. That's what my notion of individual liberty is about. The opposite of this is when legislators raise my taxes, and the dependency class, by extension. That involves the indirect transfer of my labor to someone who is not deserving of it. It's pretty much the mantra of the hard left these days. The names are interchangable: Denish, Richardson, etc, but the message is clear. These people want to tax productive citizens and make it easier for unproductive people to stay that way. I want no part of it.
These may not be gubernatorial functions, but you can't just look at the state level. She is part of the party that wants to define family values and intrude on your individual life and liberties. These are federal issues, but a governor represents a party nationally, can make appointments, etc. Martinez standing hand in hand on the podium with Sarah Palin is enough for me to say "no thanks!"

Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Susana looked nervous debating in the primaries and her voice was shaking. Diane has challenged Susana to eight debates, so far Susana has agreed to only one. It will be substance (Diane) against talking points (Susana).

But really I wonder if it will matter who wins. Does anything get done in Santa Fe?
Does it matter who wins? Only time will tell. As for debates I normally think, when we are talking 2 candidates, one debate is enough. Why go over the same prepared answers over and over?

Nita

Old 08-06-2010, 07:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

Reproductive choice, fine--just don't ask the taxpayers to pay for it.

Also don't ask the taxpayers to pay for all of your kids.

All of the above is when the problems come in.
I completely agree with all you are posting on this.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico