Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:39 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,188,641 times

Advertisements

You're right catman...Marty Robbins was underappreciated as a guitarist.
This is a great tune.

YouTube - Marty Robbins The Guitarist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 11:23 AM

Gotta bring up Marty's old Okie born buddy Merle Haggard. Merle was responsible for a revival of Bob Wills Western Swing music in the 70s, and played a pretty good fiddle as well as being ,IMHO, the greatest male singer in Country Western music. The second, pretty crude video is of Marty and Merle, with Merle imitating Marty perfectly. Pretty funny.

YouTube - MERLE HAGGARD - The Moment I Lost You

YouTube - MERLE HAGGARD MARTY ROBBINS UNUSUAL VIDEO

Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,856,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
So...you see...your life WAS planned by the Rio Grande!

Mike H...glad you like! She seems to be able to combine rancheo/cumbia type music with some great country licks in a way few others can. It's magic, we say.
I have heard of Tom Russell but I never heard of Tish Hinojosa before. She's very very good - it makes you wonder why the music out there being played on radio stations can be so mediocre while there are truly talented who remain unknown to so many.

Thanks for the links to Tish Hinojosa. Good stuff.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,918,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Marty Robbins was visiting the studios of WBAP 820 in DFW one night back in the late 70s, when Bill Mack had his late-night show. Marty played his guitar and sang several numbers by himself. It was absolutely gorgeous: what a voice! I had no idea he was so very talented.
OMG!! What a TREAT!

I saw several favorites over the years, but MR was one that I missed.

The thing about Mary Robbins--IMO--was that he was always good! He had hits all the way from 195*'s El Paso to his last, 1982's Some Memories Just Won't Die.

He consistently hit both the C&W and Pop charts over the years.

Contrast that with Hag, whose later work (past his great 1960s-70s stuff) was mostly crap, with a few exceptions. He is one of my all-time favorites (The Bakersfield Sound), but I really didn't like his later stuff.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,242,877 times
El Paso came out in 1959. I remember that since it was about 6 minutes long, the AM DJs used to change the letter A in the title to an I, because they had time to go to the restroom during it!

Hearing him sing unaccompanied (except by his guitar) in the WBAP studio was a real treat. He had an absolutely beautiful voice, and exquisite control over it. Don't Worry, from 1960, is one of my favorites, partly because of the very effective, extremely distorted bass solo, the first "fuzz bass" I ever heard on record. El Paso City, late in his career, was also a very fine song, and somewhat spooky!

I don't consider Merle Haggard, good as he may be, to be in the same class as Marty Robbins. I did get extremely burned-out on Okie from Muskogee. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. But no one had a voice like Marty Robbins. I consider Robbins to be the greatest interpreter of Western music like Big Iron and Streets of Laredo, and I like W more than C&W!

Old 06-19-2010, 01:38 PM

I don't consider Merle Haggard, good as he may be, to be in the same class as Marty Robbins. I did get extremely burned-out on Okie from Muskogee. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. But no one had a voice like Marty Robbins. I consider Robbins to be the greatest interpreter of Western music like Big Iron and Streets of Laredo, and I like W more than C&W!

I agree! And...Okie did get very old fast.

But I never got tired of EP.

If you like his Western songs better, I bet you have Gunfighter Ballads.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:00 PM

18,263 posts, read 25,956,538 times
Like Buddy Holly, Marty Robbins had a great recording career. And he loved singing about the Old West with classics like El Paso, El Paso City, Ballad Of The Alamo, Utah Carol, The Hanging Tree, The Girl from Spanish Town, and many others. He would do justice and make a chart hit out of other singer-songwriters material, like his 1965 hit Ribbon Of Darkness, penned by Gordon Lightfoot. His songs were like telling stories, and the musical arrangements behind Robbins singing were tastefully done.

Chart hit wise he goes back to 1952 with Tomorrow You'll Be Gone. And put out great music for the next quarter century, sadly passing in 1982 at the age of 49. In the late 50's to early 60's there were three noted young stars who recorded for Columbia Records who were very successful charting to a crossover audience, going top 10 in the pop, rock, and country charts; Johnny Horton, Johnny Cash, and Marty Robbins.

For highway cruising I recommend his A Lifetime Of Song CD which is a good starting point of his career featuring his hits with Columbia Records. Bear Family is a noted record label out of Germany that does a great job with box set compilations and the Robbins one is a good one as well.

Collectible 50's? Check this one out. One of the most popular and in demand lp with 50's and 60's music collectors. The album is called Rock And Roll And Robbins, released in 1956 (Columbia CL-2601) It is one of the last lp's released in 10" form, and a mint condition copy is in the $1000 category. I've only seen two copies ever. His vast catalog is popular with country, pop, and rock album collectors, and like Cathy mentioned earlier Gunfighter ballads and Other Songs is a classic. It was released in 1960, has a great cover of Marty out in the street gittin' ready to draw!

Marty Robbins is one of the great artists in the history of Country music!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-19-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 PM

Boy...we're going to veer off course here a little bit..lol
I love Marty Robbins..every time I come down I 10 from Mesilla, especially if I cut over Transmountain Rd, and look down on El Paso from the hills I think of Marty and wicked Felina....but Merle is as good as it gets, male singer wise.
I mean, you've got one of the definitive saloon songs:

YouTube - Merle Haggard - Swinging Doors
the definitive Mama song:

YouTube - MERLE HAGGARD - Mama's Hungry Eyes
and the ultimate lost love song (a more recent take by Old Merle):

YouTube - Merle Haggard - Today I Started Loving You Again
On top of being a great and frequently copied (think most big male C & W singers of the last 30 years) vocalist, he's been a top songwriter and a fine guitar player.
OK...we agree to disagree Rant over.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:34 AM

But all of the MH hits you show are from his very best work during the late 1960s to 1970s. That era is all I listen to of his.

A very fine songwriter indeed, and a good guitarist and fiddle player to boot.

His Tribute to the Best Damn Fiddle Player (Bob Wills) remains one of my all-time favorites.

Same Train, Different Time (Jimmie Rodgers) is another. Just outstanding work.

Ditto his rendition of the old Ernest Tubb hits!

I thought that his 1990s stuff was just terrible. I suppose it's because he's trying to appeal to a new audience. The last 2 more recent CDs that I bought of his, I donated to the library.

Just really disappointing.

But I'm glad I got to see him in person at Texas Tech in the 1970s. Magnificent concert!

Thank God for CD re-issues...and the ability to rip songs and create custom CDs for my car.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:36 AM

For highway cruising I recommend his A Lifetime Of Song CD which is a good starting point of his career featuring his hits with Columbia Records. Bear Family is a noted record label out of Germany that does a great job with box set compilations and the Robbins one is a good one as well.

Have both, and love 'em!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico